JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you use Tablets at meetings..?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3462 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

As the COBE in my congregation, I use it for everything except confidential notes (I use paper notebook). I use it in my seat for all digital publications like wt, be, km etc... But I use my reference bible for scriptures. But, during conventions where I take notes, I use the web based bible from wol.jw.org and use note taking apps. It works great since there are so many back and forth from notetaking to scriptures.

Of course, I never use it on the stage. At least not until the slave says it is ok.  :)

I see KM. is that our Kingdom Ministry? Can that be downloaded. I have heard that if you ask, the brothers can do so, but I have no real need for it. My personal convenience is not worth giving the brothers another chore.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I am 70+ and I use my tablet at the meetings. For me it is much easier to take than all the books. I take my Bible along with it, but all the other books are on my tablet. It is also convenient because before I misplaced my meeting material, now all I have to worry about is where is my tablet. It fits nicely in my handbag and I'm off to meeting.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I see KM. is that our Kingdom Ministry? Can that be downloaded. I have heard that if you ask, the brothers can do so, but I have no real need for it. My personal convenience is not worth giving the brothers another chore.

The elders can provide the KMs to you, just ask. I have all of the friends who have electronic devices on my group email. I send it to them and it takes a few seconds. I doubt that your elders will view it as a chore.

I have the "Benefit" book on my iPad in iBooks (.pdf) and bookmark the two contents pages.  These are easy to find, then touch the title of the lesson where the overseer directs us.  I usually have the page before anyone with an actual book.

Even my songbooks are on my iPad (English and Czech - I like to sing in Czech mostly as it keeps the language fresh in my mind).

I have the "Benefit" book on my iPad in iBooks (.pdf) and bookmark the two contents pages.  These are easy to find, then touch the title of the lesson where the overseer directs us.  I usually have the page before anyone with an actual book.

Even my songbooks are on my iPad (English and Czech - I like to sing in Czech mostly as it keeps the language fresh in my mind).

That's a good idea about bookmarking the contents pages.

The songbook from JW.org is a horror to use at the meetings. However, there is a copy I got my hands on that has an inserted page with quick links to the songs. I have that page bookmarked and now I can flip to any song as fast as I can stand up to sing :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

The songbook from JW.org is a horror to use at the meetings. However, there is a copy I got my hands on that has an inserted page with quick links to the songs. I have that page bookmarked and now I can flip to any song as fast as I can stand up to sing :)

It is indeed.  However there is only the song before the public talk which I don't have advance knowledge of, (and I ask the brother on sound duty what it is), so I can bookmark the songs prior to the meeting.

Edited by bohemian

Ask the secretary of your congregation. He can give you a digital copy of the local km. I did it and now I receive by email as soon as the paper version is distributed, but not ahead of time though ;)

He didn't new that but they can download it on jw.org

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I asked the secretary of our congregation last night and he told me which elder deals with them. He is on holiday right now, but it was he who sent me the Czech ones, so I don't envisage any problem.

It is indeed.  However there is only the song before the public talk which I don't have advance knowledge of, (and I ask the brother on sound duty what it is), so I can bookmark the songs prior to the meeting.

Ah! Good point. Preparation :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 2 weeks later...

In use the "meeting notes" app to record talks. I record each one separately and you can type extra notes if you want. Also you can easily ail a talk to someone. I used that feature a couple of times. My parents missed the co's service meeting talk. I was able to email it to them and they said the sound was really clear. My mom is. 75 and a little hard if hearing but she said it was pretty good.

I use mine at the meeting (ipad).

I find it quite useful especially for marking my books and taking notes. However we had direction not to use them on the platform, I believe it was so that it didn't appear that the F&DS was supporting the idea that publishers should seek to purchase them. Also once at an assembly they had a demo involving an ipad but they covered up the apple, which I think was because they didn't want to appear to be advertising the product.

But getting back to the point I also use it a lot for personal study and on our days when we do rural territory I use it to have a sort of quiz between doors because I can carry so many publications on it.

I have used it a few times in the ministry too, the most useful feature I use is an app that I have that allows me to have a parallel bible with 6 translations (including the NWT) as well as a concordance.. Very useful if someone ever says "You have your own bible!" I can reply "Well I actually have six translations here in my bag".

Which app is that?

My aunt due to the flu and cannot make it to the convention so looks like I might have to pick-up an Ipad to record the program after all.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I can record the talks, video the drama and take notes at the same time?

Sorry to hear about the flu - awful -  and so sad to miss the Convention.  Better than spreading it to thousands of brothers, though!  :nope:

Good question, too.  Using an iPad myself, I don't iknow the answer, so I look forward to the replies from those with more experience.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I can record the talks, video the drama and take notes at the same time?

If you are wanting to do this all on an iPad at the same moment in time, I do not think it is possible.

But if you want to record the talks, then video the drama, while taking notes on paper sure you can

If you are wanting to do this all on an iPad at the same moment in time, I do not think it is possible.

But if you want to record the talks, then video the drama, while taking notes on paper sure you can

What app would you use to record the talks?

I guess you can use the inbuilt camera to video the drama.

Actually, if I were to record the talks I could make notes at home later!

My aunt due to the flu and cannot make it to the convention so looks like I might have to pick-up an Ipad to record the program after all.

You can take notes and record at the same time. If you record the video, the audio will be recorded also. No notes. (but you can go back and take notes later if you want) But your challenge will be how to hold that iPad in a manner that does not disrupt others. Have a good time. Oh, it is the app, notability that records while you are taking notes. Then after the fact, if you want to check your notes, or get a scripture you missed, you can tap that part of your notes, and the audio goes there.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I was going to post a picture fron our DC, but they are blurry, I took while coming down the stairs. I would say (although in Las Vegas we would use the word "bet" here :) ) 25% of the people had a tablet of one type or another taking notes. Several even had those small laptops - i think they call them "netbooks" or somehing.

Amazing how fast things change. I can type faster than i can write and you know what - i can always read my typed notes, as for the handwritten ones :lol1:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

i can always read my typed notes, as for the handwritten ones...

That is why I record the entire Convention. Not only can I not read the noted if I hand-write them, I don't get the chance because I work during all the talks ... although I do not miss them - quite the opposite.

This year I have complete recordings from 3 separate Conventions :ecstatic:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~