JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

They don't 'coo' like so many people think, they have a different sort of noise they make. And they're territorial, fight the robins for the worms, aggressively.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Don't know scientific name? but it has plenty of yellow fruit double size of a cherry.

The tree is on the left. Parrots love it too.

1-IMG_02vv01.JPG

My parents had one of these trees when i was a teenager. We ate them whenever they came ripe. So yummy. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

7 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

They don't 'coo' like so many people think, they have a different sort of noise they make. And they're territorial, fight the robins for the worms, aggressively.

My, that has not been my experience with them...my doves coo all the time..and I've never seen them fight any other birds..rather, they seem to be loners, only come around when none other birds are around. And very skittish...hmm, I'm thinking there must be different species of them..they are related to the pigeon I think...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

This is how we do baptism in Far (far, far) Northern Queensland.
Bro with spear protecting the area from flesh-eating salt water crocs ...
(Affectionately known as 'Saltys'. More savage than the 'Freshies...')

Where anglers dare tread.... Lol
1562945aee7ee1c7511ef46a674283e5.jpg

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

10 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

As I was reading your response last night I watched 2 doves chasing each other and diving in the bushes.

We must have a different breed.

my understanding is they were brought here in the 1800's as carriers, then with tech growth were let loose.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

8 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

As I was reading your response last night I watched 2 doves chasing each other and diving in the bushes.

We must have a different breed.

my understanding is they were brought here in the 1800's as carriers, then with tech growth were let loose.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to change my Avatar...😐

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

4 hours ago, Dove said:

Hmm, maybe I'll have to change my Avatar...😐

I think you can keep your avatar, morning doves are good neighbors. They are native to North America. Mourning doves pair up for life. We always see them in pairs both summer and winter. There cooing can be heard throughout the day. It is kind of mournful, thus their name. A pleasant bird to have around. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_dove

Mourning Dove 2006.jpg

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

I think you can keep your avatar, morning doves are good neighbors. They are native to North America. Mourning doves pair up for life. We always see them in pairs both summer and winter. There cooing can be heard throughout the day. It is kind of mournful, thus their name. A pleasant bird to have around. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_dove

Mourning Dove 2006.jpg

That's what I've always thought and read..thanks for reinforcing my faith in them...guess I'll keep my avatar for a while longer...😃

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

That must be an interesting train ride ..... I guess you have to keep some sort of seatbelt on to hold you in the seat so you don't slip sideways :)

No seat belt  and it is really  a boaring  trip ..thigh we can walk around  .it has  a good bar  on the train

It takes me 6.30 hours to drive to where the train starts lol

I enjoyed the train ride up to Kalgoorlie - I was on the Indian Pacific, and it stopped there of course.  Maybe the Prospector isn't as comfy because it's not a long-haul train?  Still, I found the scenery gorgeous, and I didn't get bored.  Love trains :) 

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I enjoyed the train ride up to Kalgoorlie - I was on the Indian Pacific, and it stopped there of course.  Maybe the Prospector isn't as comfy because it's not a long-haul train?  Still, I found the scenery gorgeous, and I didn't get bored.  Love trains :) 

I too, always enjoyed the train ride and the Prospector is a great train.  I think trains were the best travelling invention.  Just great!!!  I would love to do the Indian Pacific across the Nullabor but it's so expensive.  Way out of my budget restraints.  And actually John, @Qapla  even though we travel sideways somehow we do manage to stay in our seats without seatbelts.  Must be an Ozzie thing. :whistling::D

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

8 hours ago, Dove said:

That's what I've always thought and read..thanks for reinforcing my faith in them...guess I'll keep my avatar for a while longer...😃

Sis Sandra, please forgive me if I sound defensive. It's not my intention.

Lew and I were sitting at the table visiting looking out at the back yard tonight and we watched a pair of doves chase and torment a raven. He, likewise, chased and tormented them. They took command of the gate around my garden and then the robins came and the doves chased them around. So I asked my man if these were supposed to be peaceful birds, he said not in his opinion. So I looked up doves to satisfy my curiosity and prove myself wrong in what I see in the back yard. But all I did was confirm what we see everyday. (Your avatar pic is still safe, the intent of peace is still appreciated)

https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Though-symbolizing-peace-doves-can-be-quite-2620368.php

Adult mourning doves are ground feeders, living almost exclusively on seed. When I go out into the garden, they freeze, eyes wide, watching me intently yet looking rather comical as they hide in plain sight, stout bodies balanced on tiny feet. (Of course, when they're "hiding" where I've thrown the expensive native flower seed, they don't look funny, they look like vacuum cleaners.) When my advance toward them doesn't end, they take off, making a soft whinnying sound that reminds me of the Three Stooges going "Wup-wup-wup- wup!" See, not cooing.

From where the idea arose that doves are symbols of peace is a mystery to me; they're actually quite aggressive. The other birds under the feeder know better than to get too close to them. I doubt that the doves are sitting there like Norman Bates, thinking, "I'm so peaceful. I wouldn't hurt a fly," before they charge another dove or try to peck a finch. Oh my goodness, yes, they do this.

7 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Sis Sandra, please forgive me if I sound defensive. It's not my intention.

Lew and I were sitting at the table visiting looking out at the back yard tonight and we watched a pair of doves chase and torment a raven. He, likewise, chased and tormented them. They took command of the gate around my garden and then the robins came and the doves chased them around. So I asked my man if these were supposed to be peaceful birds, he said not in his opinion. So I looked up doves to satisfy my curiosity and prove myself wrong in what I see in the back yard. But all I did was confirm what we see everyday. (Your avatar pic is still safe, the intent of peace is still appreciated)

https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Though-symbolizing-peace-doves-can-be-quite-2620368.php

Adult mourning doves are ground feeders, living almost exclusively on seed. When I go out into the garden, they freeze, eyes wide, watching me intently yet looking rather comical as they hide in plain sight, stout bodies balanced on tiny feet. (Of course, when they're "hiding" where I've thrown the expensive native flower seed, they don't look funny, they look like vacuum cleaners.) When my advance toward them doesn't end, they take off, making a soft whinnying sound that reminds me of the Three Stooges going "Wup-wup-wup- wup!" See, not cooing.

From where the idea arose that doves are symbols of peace is a mystery to me; they're actually quite aggressive. The other birds under the feeder know better than to get too close to them. I doubt that the doves are sitting there like Norman Bates, thinking, "I'm so peaceful. I wouldn't hurt a fly," before they charge another dove or try to peck a finch. Oh my goodness, yes, they do this.

Dear Cheryl, please don't feel for one moment that I took what you said about your doves in a negative way.😊 I was just surprised because it has not been my experience with the doves in my yard as long as I've known them. They are quiet, leave at the slightest sound, and usually only come when there are no other birds around. And they look different too; they're mostly fat, plump and solid gray (my fav color lol).

There are many different species or kinds of doves but I thought even though they look different they are all of the same peaceful nature. Reading your source I don't doubt what you say about yours at all. Especially to go after a raven, that's bold.

Maybe the idea that they are a symbol of peace comes from the fact that some are White, and the connection of the dove used in the account of the Flood..it must have been a different species in that account because these doves in my yard do not seem to fly all that well. I don't see them flying long distances looking for a tree ..

Thank you so much for explaining ..:heart:

This is interesting, I never realized there could be such a difference between breeds (?) of the same bird. The ones we have are a dirty sand-brown and boy do they fly. I've watched them even fly sideways, with wings up and down instead of flat, as they go into attack. I wanted to get a pic of them on guard sitting on my gate but they went after the raven as he dive bombed them. Nary a dull minute in this back yard.

The bear showed up again 3 days ago too. The fencing goes across his natural path (we're removing the current bear-damaged fencing and getting a less invasive bear proof fence put up) and he looked a little confused as where to go. Then Chester, my Bishon, saw him and started barking. You should have seen him turn tail and LEAP into the bushes. It was so funny because both front legs were straight out in front of him and the back legs were straight out behind him!

971925644_bear(861x1531).thumb.jpg.b290a08f1028eb0384dc91913b0b5346.jpg

2 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

This is interesting, I never realized there could be such a difference between breeds (?) of the same bird. The ones we have are a dirty sand-brown and boy do they fly. I've watched them even fly sideways, with wings up and down instead of flat, as they go into attack. I wanted to get a pic of them on guard sitting on my gate but they went after the raven as he dive bombed them. Nary a dull minute in this back yard.

The bear showed up again 3 days ago too. The fencing goes across his natural path (we're removing the current bear-damaged fencing and getting a less invasive bear proof fence put up) and he looked a little confused as where to go. Then Chester, my Bishon, saw him and started barking. You should have seen him turn tail and LEAP into the bushes. It was so funny because both front legs were straight out in front of him and the back legs were straight out behind him!

971925644_bear(861x1531).thumb.jpg.b290a08f1028eb0384dc91913b0b5346.jpg

Wow, you have an exciting back yard there...😁

and I looked for pics of what my doves look like and forgot to post it...😐

Oh do! I'd love to see yours. If I can I'll get a pic of them on the gate today, they're always there.

We have a momma deer who brings her babies in summer, bear, cougar, muskrat, porcupine (golly they're cute) and giant coyote- my friends didn't believe me how big he is until Br. Chuck was dog sitting for me and saw him, Chuck said he thought it was part wolf. Then we have the usual water fowl, lots of them and lots of eagles. 

Edited by bagwell1987