JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What is that?

Google didn't give me the results I was expecting....

I think it’s vegetable soup

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Habitant is split pea. It's one of the basic survival foods that is used in times of crisis (hope I'm explaining that right, that's what it says in my cookbook). It's very nourishing and sustaining. I now cook for 4 of our disabled/low income friends and pea with smoky ham soup is what was on the menu today. I also put in micro-chopped carrot, potato and onion.

Someone told me that bean with ham (bacon) soup is also a Habitant food. I'm not sure but it's also one I use for our friends. Made that one 3 days ago.

When our friends go to the food bank beans, split peas and rice are a few of the staples given. Sustaining staples.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/habitant-pea-soup

this isn't a recipe I like but it gives you a bit of a description.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

I can't really speak dogmatically as to "nothing worse" - since it doesn't snow in Florida

However, we do have fog ...  

fog.png.1da3ef9e736f28a32e820a1ee2eabf3d.png

(looking thru the windshield)

But have you ever been in a whiteout? It's the same..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Ya, I think Cambell's did take the name.

Here's what my Ball Complete Book of Preserving book has to say, just in case anyone's interested.

Here's the recipe too. When I make it I omit the allspice because I'm not a fan, added micro chop potato and a Tbs of chopped garlic, instead of water I use bone broth, making it more nutritious. I pressure can it for one of the brothers because he lives in an RV with limited frig space. This one and the bean with bacon (Campbell's copycat recipe) pressure can really good. Multiplying the recipe will make a case of pints at a time.

Habitant 1 (606 x 1077).jpg

Habitant 2 (606 x 1077).jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

As of this moment it's 45 days, 23 hours and 47 minutes until the shortest day of the year. And 105 days until February 15 the when I can notice days getting longer. 

14 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

As of this moment it's 45 days, 23 hours and 47 minutes until the shortest day of the year. And 105 days until February 15 the when I can notice days getting longer. 

Well that’s looking ahead..

Just now, Dove said:

Well that’s looking ahead..

I’m with you; I miss summer too..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Come visit the Southern Hemisphere. Our days are getting longer!

Older {waiting for wiser}

3 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Come visit the Southern Hemisphere. Our days are getting longer! emoji295.png

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

I know Tony, I know, I think about it a lot.

Reminds me of old order Mennonites. A grade 8 teacher related her experience with some.

Horse and buggy. No power in house. Modern barn and equipment. Deep freezer in barn.

My experience was - father - horse and buggy. Mother - Buick - not black, son - pickup - not black.

Saw one group with brown horses going to church passing in opposite direction, another with black horses going

to their church.

Someone I worked with - drove old Harleys, had a beard but not married to girl he was living with. Family upset about the beard.

Seen it all.jpg

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: