JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3724 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A brother in my congregation just got a Windows 8 tablet. It looks like the Microsoft Surface and is running Windows 8 Pro, so it should be possible to install Watchtower Library on the device, as well as ANY other Windows compatible program.

The question is, how is this done?.... since most software comes from the store on a CD or DVD.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

You will need to copy the files from the CD to a USB flash drive or memory card, and install from that.  Of course that means you need a PC or laptop to do that (and a helpful friend!).  Or if it has a USB port, then use a external USB CD-Rom drive.

Edited by Jonathan77

If it has Windows 8 Pro than chances are that it has a USB port. As Jonathan mentioned, I would go with an external USB drive. They are very easy to use and many modern laptops are also leaving out disc drives so it's a good investment.

Yes the surface pro has full windows 8.x on it.

Jonathan77 reply is simplest - however if you don't have an external cd/dvd drive you can jury rig an internal drive

with an adapter kit or the connection part of an external hard drive ( 5 inch ).

Have done this when needed a DVD drive for an older computer - used a dual ide/sata connector

with separate power adapter and a spare ide dvd drive. works great.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Just connect the tablet to the PC

This sounded simple :)

So connect to a PC and it will get assigned a drive letter. Run the disk on the PC and install it to the "external drive" that is the tablet?

If that's all one needs to do, that's brilliant!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

A tablet running Windows 8 is a PC. Both will act as host devices and try to connect the other as a slave device. That's why one usually doesn't connect a laptop to a desktop via USB.

Okay, so scratch that idea. 

I probably understand where Dages was coming from. With an Android tablet, connecting them is just that easy.

You will need to copy the files from the CD to a USB flash drive or memory card, and install from that.  Of course that means you need a PC or laptop to do that (and a helpful friend!).  Or if it has a USB port, then use a external USB CD-Rom drive.

I have an ASUS tablet running Windows 8. I loaded Watchtower Library by putting the files on a mini SD card.

Okay, so it sounds like I can copy the CD files and folders (maintaining their directory structure) over to a USB Drive or SD Card, plug this external storage device into the Windows Surface Tablet, and run the setup file from there.

Is this correct?

Okay, so it sounds like I can copy the CD files and folders (maintaining their directory structure) over to a USB Drive or SD Card, plug this external storage device into the Windows Surface Tablet, and run the setup file from there.

Is this correct?

Yes, I copied the whole CD to a folder on my USB thumb-drive and have run many installations directly from the thumb-drive and it works great.

I usually copy the Library on CD to a flash drive to install on multiple computers. That way, we only need one copy for the family and it installs faster from USB.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

A brother in my congregation just got a Windows 8 tablet. It looks like the Microsoft Surface and is running Windows 8 Pro, so it should be possible to install Watchtower Library on the device, as well as ANY other Windows compatible program.

The question is, how is this done?.... since most software comes from the store on a CD or DVD.

Hi Brother I too have a Windows 8 tablet with Watchtower Library installed on it. What I did is access my computer CD drive over the network and installed it from there. Works great!

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)