JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NUESTRO PUEBLO EN IMAGENES (our people in images)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3605 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I am intrigued when a word literally translates one way but then means more. In this case the word pueblo is the Spanish word for town. The meaning, though, is to the people in the town. This is the reverse of the word church. Today it takes on the connotation of the building where worship happens. It is my understanding that originally it was the people who gathered to worship. 

Help me out here, is this true?

I am intrigued when a word literally translates one way but then means more. In this case the word pueblo is the Spanish word for town. The meaning, though, is to the people in the town. This is the reverse of the word church. Today it takes on the connotation of the building where worship happens. It is my understanding that originally it was the people who gathered to worship. 

Help me out here, is this true?

Hi Tony. Yes, "pueblo" in Spanish can refer to "town" or to "people". It comes from the Latin word "populus", that produced in English "people" and "population".

I guess a place where people live was called a "population", and from there it came to mean "town".

Interesting what you say about "church": originally it meant a group of Christians, and with time it came to mean a place for religious services. So the process was reversed.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)