JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 8.9 Quake Hits Japan

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4782 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been getting a lot of news about the quake / tsunami.

In Australia, we have islands north of us to buffer the tsunami.

I am amazed at the speed that it swept across the Pacific !

Someone said they travel at the speed of a jet.

My girlfriend and I are leaving for Tokyo on Thursday.

We've had our trip booked for a while now.

So far, it seems OK to go.

Maybe we'll end up doing cleanup assistance with other brothers and sisters!

Apparently they can be travelling at over 800 kilometres per hour out at sea. They slow down significantly when they reach shallow water but they are still travelling at just under 80 kilometres per hour.

Apparently they can be travelling at over 800 kilometres per hour out at sea. They slow down significantly when they reach shallow water but they are still travelling at just under 80 kilometres per hour.

I was watching 20/20 last night and they mentioned the waves comes towards land at just over 500 mph!!!

An Update

Well, the main panic is over, but they are saying that there is a 70% possibility of another large quake in the next three days. Of course that has prompted panic buying and all the supermarkets are running short of food. They also have to ration the electric supply and we have to have "rollng blackouts". Yokohama is scheduled to have a 4 hour blackout tomorrow from 3:00 to 7:00.

Petrol is running short too.

So although I did not experience the terrible destruction from the tsunami we are still undergoing effects from the earthquake in our daily life.

I have asked the branch if there is any news about the Brothers in the worst hit areas but news is slow to come. However, as you know doubt saw on the news some of the towns were completely flattened so it is likely we will hear bad news eventually. However, we don't know yet, so we are praying that our Brothers were able to escape somehow. Plans for sending Brothers to that area to help is going ahead but I have no details yet.

One of the main concerns now is the nuclear reactors which are heading toward meltdown.

Not a happy prospect.

So that's about as much as I can say right now.

Hopefully the situation will improve gradually as time goes on but this is an unknown for everyone.

We just don't now what will be the ongoing effect on our lives from now.

Maybe it's good practice for the coming Great tribulation.

Please continue to pray for our Brothers in Japan, as I am sure you all are

Its good to see that you are safe and sound Steve..... yes we are all mentioning the brothers and sisters there in our prayers, both privately and through the congregation prayers.

We are all keeping an eye on the nuclear plants, I really hope that nothing worse happens there... are you very far away from them ??

Like you say it is practice for the GT but... it is still so sad to see such loss of life. It was also stated that it happened at 2.45pm so the children would have been in school and separated from their parents.... it is awful to think about.

We are within a hairs breath of the end of this system.... lets hope it comes quickly

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Hi Wanda

I thought I heard it this morning on the radio...and it appears from an assortment of headlines on articles it is now being assessed at 9.1...

eg Global CMT Raises Magnitude of Japan quake to 9.1!,

I am also reading ...region hit by hundreds of aftershocks, some up to 6.8-magnitude...

If my memory serves me correctly . . . :unsure:

Isaiah 61:1-2 - The spirit of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah is upon me, for the reason that Jehovah has anointed me to tell good news to the meek ones. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to those taken captive and the wide opening [of the eyes] even to the prisoners; 2 to proclaim the year of goodwill on the part of Jehovah and the day of vengeance on the part of our God; to comfort all the mourning ones.

We also used Romans 15:4 - For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

I was wondering... seeing all the pictures after the tsunami... what about after har-maguédon ?

Looks like a lot of work ! :ohmy:

I have never thought too much about it. :ohmy:

Hopefully, we know all will be over, and will be very happy,...

http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201103/php5SRlPYminami.jpg

I was wondering... seeing all the pictures after the tsunami... what about after har-maguédon ?

Looks like a lot of work !

I have never thought too much about it.

I do not know how you would begin to remove all the damage...

a page full of dramatic photos...

Hell on Earth: I've seen 20 wars... but nothing prepared me for the sight of a town reduced to a morass of splintered wood, jagged concrete and twisted metal where 10,000 have died

Channel 4 News journalist only Western reporter to make it to the shattered coastal town of Minami Sanriku

Scene is 'reminiscent of the photographs of Nagasaki or Hiroshima after the A bombs were dropped'

2,800 confirmed dead and 10,000 missing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365947/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-Nothing-prepared-Alex-Thomson-Hell-Earth.html

“The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah (kj)” chap. 20 p. 377 par. 22:

The unburied dead, “those slain by Jehovah,” will be so enormously many that even the carrion birds and scavenging wild beasts could never take care of their consumption. The burial of even what remains after these lower creatures have their fill would be stupendous. Doubtless the Almighty God will use some highly scientific means, whether including antimatter or not, to dispose of the surplus of decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way. This remains for the survivors of the “war of the great day” to see and witness. We remember that Noah and his seven fellow survivors of the global Deluge were not burdened with burying the human victims of that world catastrophe after they came out of the ark and renewed Jehovah’s worship on earth.

The same could be said of the physical debris.

“The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah (kj)” chap. 20 p. 377 par. 22:

The unburied dead, “those slain by Jehovah,” will be so enormously many that even the carrion birds and scavenging wild beasts could never take care of their consumption. The burial of even what remains after these lower creatures have their fill would be stupendous. Doubtless the Almighty God will use some highly scientific means, whether including antimatter or not, to dispose of the surplus of decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way. This remains for the survivors of the “war of the great day” to see and witness. We remember that Noah and his seven fellow survivors of the global Deluge were not burdened with burying the human victims of that world catastrophe after they came out of the ark and renewed Jehovah’s worship on earth.

The same could be said of the physical debris.

:welcome:

Nice to see you Douglas, and welcome to the forum :)

I fully agree with you........... Jehovah will dispose of the bodies that are left behind....it would take those remaining on the earth years to bury everyone and we know that we will be busy with other things... the illustration of Noah is a good one.

The same applies to making the earth a paradise once again.. can you imagine taking a pick axe to the motorways :D Jehovah tells us that it will be a period of re creation.. exciting indeed :)

Relating to the "FRONT PAGE" I received an email very much the same.

*****************************************************************************************

My sister received this from a friend at Brooklyn Bethel this morning.

An announcement was made this morning about the 9.0 earthquake and resulting tsunami that devastated Japan on March 11. It was the worst in Japan's history. Over 10,000 persons are reported as missing.

The Japan branch buildings swayed (the branch is 50 miles west of Tokyo, and the affected area is about 300 miles NE from there) and some minor damage occurred. The brothers are checking and will repair the damage.

About 2,300 publishers live in the area hit by the tsunami. So far 1 brother, 1 sister, and the unbelieving husband of a sister are known to have died. However, 115 of our brothers are missing. Five Kingdom Halls were destroyed. Brothers have been appointed to check matters out and relief has been organized.

They have asked that we keep our brothers in Japan in mind in our prayers. For those who would like to help out, donations can be placed in the Kingdom Hall contribution box for the Worldwide Fund.

Psalm 46:1, 2 was read as a scripture that applies to the situation. Reference was also made to 2 Cor. 1:3-7.

Please look to jw-media.org for official media releases. This is second hand information.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I got an Email in German, some parts of it:

Bethel in Ebina isn't very much affected, only a few small tears (right word?), nobody there got hurt.

About 2300 brothers and sisters are living in the region where the tsunami hit, at least two are announced dead. 115 are still missing. Five kingdom halls are destroyed.

this are news that were announced this morning at breakfast in Bethel (I think in Germany, but I don't know if the Email I got was translatted from another language or if someone from the German Bethel wrote it in the first place).

Announced at the Bethel morning report at breakfast there are officially

2300 publishers in the earthquake area.

1 Brother, 1 sister and a unbelieving husband known dead.

115 are still missing.

5 Kingdom Halls destroyed.

Do you know brothers and sisters serving at the Japan Bethal Barbara ?