JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 650 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

19 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Here's an Interesting tidbit from ethnologue.com:

2017-06-29 02.20.34.png

41 translations completed; 7,058 to go! :lol:

But 5,638 of those languages have less than 1,000,000 native speakers. 1,955 of those have fewer than 1000 native speakers. 363 of those have less than 10 native speakers. And 219 of those have no native speakers at all, but exist only as an auxiliary language. That leaves just 1,461 languages with over a million native speakers ~ and only a mere 8 of those have 100,000,000 or more native speakers.

Source: https://www.ethnologue.com/statistics/size

Edited by Bjern

20 minutes ago, Bjern said:

But 5,638 of those languages have less than 1,000,000 native speakers. 1,955 of those have fewer than 1000 native speakers. 363 of those have less than 10 native speakers. And 219 of those have no native speakers at all, but exist only as an auxiliary language. That leaves just 1,461 languages with over a million native speakers ~ and only a mere 8 of those have 100,000,000 or more native speakers.

Source: https://www.ethnologue.com/statistics/size

Missed the part where it says 199 languages have unknown stats. Sorry.

(I'm wondering if this is inclusive of constructed languages, such as Esperanto ~ a constructed language that has native speakers)

Edited by Bjern

Hmm...Not sure why it lists just 8 languages having over 100,000,000 native speakers? According to Wikipedia the count is 9.

As Wikipedia lists them, those languages are (in order):

Mandarin Chinese

Spanish

English (Second most spoken)

Hindi

Arabic

Portuguese

Bengali

Russian

Japanese

Edited by Bjern

• 1 month later...

I’m so happy when I hear brothers and sisters getting the NWT for the first time in their language. Must be such a happy and memorable occasion for them. Love hearing and seeing reports from when they’re released. The joy on their faces is contagious. We don’t have to speak the same language to be able to be happy with them.

Exciting news about the Swahili addition. Does anyone know in which convention it was released? Was it in Tanzania or Kenya?

I'm not sure this translation is released at conventions. The usual method is to arrange a big gathering and perhaps stream it to the relevant congregations wherever they are in the world. A brother from the GB might appear to explain key features of that particular translation.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

A special meeting with brother Anthony Morris III has been announced for the Scandinavian branch territory on January 27, at 01:00 pm. It will be held at the assembly hall in Herlufmagle, Denmark, but will be streamed to every congregation under their jurisdiction.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The visit by brother Anthony Morris in January 27.

The interesting is that we "normaly" get a visit in May or June. This time is not a helper and will not be recoreded so some congregations may listen to it the day after. In the letter we should rent a place if we dint have enough space if several congreagations are using the same KH. Exiting times. :):uhhuh: 

We all pray and hope for the new Bible in Danish, Norvegian and Swedish.

2 hours ago, Just around the corner said:

The interesting is that we "normaly" get a visit in May or June. This time is not a helper and will not be recoreded so some congregations may listen to it the day after. In the letter we should rent a place if we dint have enough space if several congreagations are using the same KH. Exiting times. :):uhhuh: 

Brother Rune, I am so happy for you - it seems you have a date - don't miss it!!!! >:D<

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

The interesting is that we "normaly" get a visit in May or June. This time is not a helper and will not be recoreded so some congregations may listen to it the day after. In the letter we should rent a place if we dint have enough space if several congreagations are using the same KH. Exiting times. :uhhuh: 

Icelandic? They've been waiting a long time for a good translation...

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 8/30/2017 at 5:02 PM, Thesauron said:

I'm not sure this translation is released at conventions. The usual method is to arrange a big gathering and perhaps stream it to the relevant congregations wherever they are in the world. A brother from the GB might appear to explain key features of that particular translation.

Johan

I think it depends on how widespread the language is in the world. If you have a language that is spoken in several countries spread out over the world and multiple conventions over a period of time, then most likely they would have a special meeting. But for a language that is not as widespread and if you can get most speakers of that language together at a convention either live or through video, then that would probably be convenient.

That is what happened with the Korean Revised NWT. We were at the International Convention in South Korea in 2014 when the Revised NWT was released live by Brother Splane just before lunch on the first day. There were other conventions in the country that were tied in via video also, so the whole country was able to be present while Bro. Splane gave his discourse and released the Bible.

Inthe week of 24.12.17, we begin to study the new jy book, it is published in german using text of the NWT 2013 only, so I think we should receive the new bible before. I hope so 

Have you been invited to any special meeting?

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 9/9/2017 at 10:07 PM, TobyB said:

Inthe week of 24.12.17, we begin to study the new jy book, it is published in german using text of the NWT 2013 only, so I think we should receive the new bible before. I hope so :)

It says: "Die Bibelzitate stützen sich auf den Text der 2013 in Englisch revidierten Neuen-Welt-Übersetzung der Heiligen Schrift." I.e. the Scripture quotations are translated ad-hoc from the English edition of the revised NW. It gives no hint about the release of the revised NW in German. The French edition of the jy book has La Bible. Traduction du monde nouveau, which is apparently the title of the (yet to be released) nwt_F. bi12_F is Les Saintes Écritures. Traduction du monde nouveau.

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I have a spoiled info about the release of NWT in a european language until the end of October and.. I'm very happy!! :D:zipmouth:

ouzo,

Will we get it in October in ქართულად language? :unsure: