JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 656 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

As I mentioned before, there are some changes in the text that differs from the English text (not just the title). Here are some highlights.

1 Peter 1:24 reads like this in English: “All flesh is like grass.” But in this edition it now reads “All humans are like the grass.” Flesh can be misunderstood to mean meat or the physical flesh of people.

Genesis 3:15: “He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.” Now it reads: “You will strike him in the heel, and he will crush your head.”

Proverbs 3:7: “Do not become wise in your own eyes. Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad.” Current reading: “Do not think that you yourself is wise. Have deep respect for Jehovah and flee from evil.”

There are many other instances, but these are enough for now

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Proverbs 3:7: “Do not become wise in your own eyes. Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad.” Current reading: “Do not think that you yourself is wise. Have deep respect for Jehovah and flee from evil.”

I love the clarity of that rendering. No need to explain how godly fear compares with the traditional sense of the word ‘fear.’ Please feel free to share more :) 

On ‎27‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Thesauron said:

Another thing people will find out is that it differs from the English translation in some ways...

That seems to be the same in German - p.ex. Matthew 5:3 "Happy are those conscious of their spiritual needs" will read in german "Glücklich sind die, denen bewusst ist, dass sie Gott brauchen". English: Happy are those, knowing they need God - I love it - the german People will understand this much better!!!!!:thumbsup:

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

The word “undeserved kindness” has in the Swedish revision been replaced by “generous care”, which better reflects the meaning and sense in the original text. The Greek word is often used about a well meaning gift or kind giving. When the word is used about the care of God, it conveys the thought of a free and generous gift which he gives without expecting anything in return. Hence focus is on the giver being good and generous, not on the recipient being undeserved. (2 Corinthians 6:1; Ephesians 1:7)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Preparing my first talk with the revised translation in Swedish. In a way, it’s a whole new way of talking. Such a joy! It was funny for me, who knows a little bit of the revised language, to listen to the dear interpreter Saturday, how he switched from the old expressions to the new ones right after the announcement of the release of the new Bibles. Right away, “the faithful and discrete slave” became “the faithful and wise servant”.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The revised New World Translation is now available to download in Swedish.

https://www.jw.org/download/?booknum=0&output=html&pub=nwt&fileformat=JWPUB%2CMOBI%2CPDF%2CRTF%2CTXT%2CBRL%2CBES&alllangs=0&langwritten=Z&txtCMSLang=Z&isBible=1

Also, What Can the Bible Teach Us? in Swedish, which has retained the title Vad lär Bibeln? (bhs) but has the simplified text, can now be downloaded.

https://www.jw.org/download/?output=html&pub=bhs&fileformat=JWPUB%2CMOBI%2CPDF%2CRTF%2CTXT%2CBRL%2CBES&alllangs=0&langwritten=Z&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

So happy for the Scandinavian brothers, although the brothers of Finland and Iceland that they are part of Scandinavia have to still wait.
So.. I have a feeling that a gift for french brotherhood is coming :uhhuh:

Finland is not part of the Scandinavia Branch, only the Swedish congregations in Finland. Iceland, Greenland, and the Faroese Islands, are part of it and were tied in with us. We hope for more literature, including the Bible, in Icelandic, Greenlandic, Faroese, and the Sami languages. The brothers are working hard to accomplish this. There is a lovely RTO team on Greenland, for instance, working hard to produce high quality publications.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Finland is not part of the Scandinavia Branch, only the Swedish congregations in Finland. Iceland, Greenland, and the Faroese Islands, are part of it and were tied in with us. We hope for more literature, including the Bible, in Icelandic, Greenlandic, Faroese, and the Sami languages. The brothers are working hard to accomplish this. There is a lovely RTO team on Greenland, for instance, working hard to produce high quality publications.

Very interesting, pray tell which Branch is Finland assigned to?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Very interesting, pray tell which Branch is Finland assigned to?

They are supervised by the Finland branch. It supervises the activity of about 34,000 of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Belarus, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, and Lithuania. Supervises the translation of Bible literature into six spoken languages and four sign languages.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Adelin said:

What do you think about the move of running heads from the top of the pages to the beginning of the Bible book? Is it more helpful to you this way or not?

Personally, I find it a little more difficult to find a passage I'm looking for when those running heads are not at the tops of the pages anymore. But I'm not sure why. After all, it should be easier to find if all the running heads are in the same place rather than having to scan the tops of all the pages. I guess I just haven't gotten used to looking for them in a different place. :confused:

What do you think about the move of running heads from the top of the pages to the beginning of the Bible book? Is it more helpful to you this way or not?

I find it much easier when using the printed bible. However, I’m gravitating more towards using a digital, which means the heads are playing a much smaller part.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2015 at 3:01 AM, jayrtom said:

I also noted this but in JW Library it is still called "Revelation" with "apocalipse" in brackets. 

Maybe it's "Apocalipse" in the paper edition

I just found out that if you type in "Apocalypse [chapter]:[verse]" into the English Watchtower Library, it brings up the said verse in Revelation! 

Capture.thumb.PNG.973e3e20b748869d2d8720d29a1567e6.PNG

It's the same with the version in French, if we use for example Ésaïe (classical name) instead of Isaïe (Study edition) for Isaiah, the software will understand (and the Revised version is coming back to the classical naming, by the way, so that's convenient).

Same for "Nabuchodonosor", etc...

Edited by Dages

Same with Spanish. Sometimes in the territory when we use texts from Revelation (Revelacion in Spanish), some people get confused. Then we’ll say Apocalipsis and then they’ll get it. In some publications in Spanish, when Revelation is cited, it looks a bit like this: Revelacion (o Apocalipsis) 21:3,4. I wonder if they’ll use Apocalipsis in the Spanish revision of the NWT. I also wonder if they’ll go with Santa Biblia (Holy Bible) in the title instead of Santas Escrituras (Holy Scriptures). Some of the newer revised editions in other languages have made that change. 

Same with Spanish. Sometimes in the territory when we use texts from Revelation (Revelacion in Spanish), some people get confused. Then we’ll say Apocalipsis and then they’ll get it. In some publications in Spanish, when Revelation is cited, it looks a bit like this: Revelacion (o Apocalipsis) 21:3,4. I wonder if they’ll use Apocalipsis in the Spanish revision of the NWT. I also wonder if they’ll go with Santa Biblia (Holy Bible) in the title instead of Santas Escrituras (Holy Scriptures). Some of the newer revised editions in other languages have made that change. 

The Scandinavian editions are simply called “The New World Translation of the Bible”.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 months later...

This is an encouraging thread to keep open! :)

Ref: https://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

NWT recently released in three new languages:

• Ecuadorian Sign Language
  • Nepali
  • Peruvian Sign Language

Praise Jah!

Edited by Omoyeme

Another reason why the end is not yet ....there is so much work still to do for Jehovah's name to be proclaimed throughout the earth.

Nicholas Ahladis: “The Word of God Is Not Bound”  (released April 2018)

https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/LatestVideos/pub-jwb_201804_12_VIDEO

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

2 hours ago, humblebumblebee said:

From that page the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (2013 Revision) can be downloaded in PDF format in 50 languages

And if you count all of the various versions of the NWT, (like 1984 ref) the heading says there are more than 160 languages available to download.

• 1 month later...