JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 650 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Exode 3:14 (nwt-French-2018) — Alors Dieu dit à Moïse : « “Je deviendrai ce que je décide de devenir”. » Et il ajouta : « Voici ce que tu diras aux Israélites : “‘Je deviendrai’ m’a envoyé vers vous.” »

:thumbsup:

So what is the biggest difference in the French edition that you notice right away?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1984 • Exode 3:14 — Alors Dieu dit à Moïse : “ JE SERAI CE QUE JE SERAI. ” Et il ajouta : “ Voici ce que tu diras aux fils d’Israël : ‘ JE SERAI m’a envoyé vers vous. ’ ”

2018 • Exode 3:14  — Alors Dieu dit à Moïse : « “Je deviendrai ce que je décide de devenir”. » Et il ajouta : « Voici ce que tu diras aux Israélites : “‘Je deviendrai’ m’a envoyé vers vous.” »

Now in English: 

1984 • Exodus 3:14 — At this God said to Moses: “I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to YOU.’”

2013 • Exodus 3:14 — So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’”

On 7/21/2018 at 4:06 PM, Guri said:

1984 • Exode 3:14 — Alors Dieu dit à Moïse : “ JE SERAI CE QUE JE SERAI. ” Et il ajouta : “ Voici ce que tu diras aux fils d’Israël : ‘ JE SERAI m’a envoyé vers vous. ’ ”

2018 • Exode 3:14  — Alors Dieu dit à Moïse : « “Je deviendrai ce que je décide de devenir”. » Et il ajouta : « Voici ce que tu diras aux Israélites : “‘Je deviendrai’ m’a envoyé vers vous.” »

About the study edition nothing yet...

About Ex3:14 I like the verb “decide” (ce que je decide de devenir) used here, the meaning is very strong: Love it ! That is a gem !

17 hours ago, Patinage said:

About Ex3:14 I like the verb “decide” (ce que je decide de devenir) used here, the meaning is very strong: Love it ! That is a gem !

I love this verse so much now... 

Thank you Jehovah

I’m happy for the Tok Pisin-speaking brothers and sisters who received the New World Translation in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, on the 20th of this month. We are now counting to 13 revisions of the NWT.

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/nwt-tok-pisin/

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 7/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, Thesauron said:

I’m happy for the Tok Pisin-speaking brothers and sisters who received the New World Translation in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, on the 20th of this month. We are now counting to 13 revisions of the NWT.

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/nwt-tok-pisin/

I've noticed that this is not the revision of NWT. It's the 1984 edition (bi12) of the greek scriptures.

https://www.jw.org/tpi/pablikesen/baibel/

I've noticed that this is not the revision of NWT. It's the 1984 edition (bi12) of the greek scriptures.
https://www.jw.org/tpi/pablikesen/baibel/

No, that’s the Bible that was released in 2010. The new one is not online yet.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 7/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, Patinage said:

On 7/23/2018 at 6:50 AM, Dages said:

I love this verse so much now... 

Thank you Jehovah

Well, I may be in an English congregation now, like I have been since 1996. But today I feel like I'm back in a French congregation again. I am officially holding the paper edition of this new French Bible in my hands right now! I got a copy today from the French congregation we share our hall with. So now I can feel the joy the French brothers and sisters are feeling! WOWW!! What an improvement over the 1995 edition (the last version in French)! I've been comparing other verses in it too. Here's one I immediately looked up, because it was in need of an improvement. 1 Corinthians 5:1(b):

1995: ...un certain [homme] a la femme de [son] père.

2018: ...un homme vit avec la femme de son père.

We had the same improvement of that verse in English almost 5 years ago. That was even more in need of an improvement:

1984: ...a wife a certain [man] has of [his] father.

2013: ...a man living with his father’s wife.

Interestingly, the title of this new French edition is not the same as it was before. (A similar change was made with the Portuguese Bible.) We had no change in English though.

1995: Les Saintes Écritures. Traduction du monde nouveau.

2018: La Bible. Traduction du monde nouveau.

I like it saying "The Bible" on the cover.

Of course "The Holy Scriptures" is correct and everything, but I think the only reason why it was called that name was to do things differently. IMO it doesn't make sense to title a book "the Holy Scriptures" and then call it "The Bible" all the time.

33 minutes ago, carlos said:

I think the only reason why it was called that name was to do things differently.

I thought it might be to avoid alienating people who don't believe in "The Bible." For example, we have a large Jewish territory in Montreal, as do many major cities. Jews seem to equate the word Bible with Christianity, and so we tend to use the term "scriptures" when speaking to them. (Of course, we concentrate on showing them verses from the Hebrew scriptures, books of the Bible they are familiar with.) However, I could be wrong. French publishers in Montreal (or in France maybe) come across Jews too.

We started the NWT translation in the 1940's.  Br. Rutherford "Hated" anything that looked or sounded like Christendom.  Since God did not call his writings the "Bible" I imagine the trend was to revert to the reference of "Holy Writings" or "Holy Scripture".  The New World part is obvious.  I do not object to the book being titled "Holy Bible" or using a black cover for it.  In either case it does not diminish the value of the contents and may overcome some prejudice in Christendom (while adding to the rejection by Jews and Muslims).

4 hours ago, Sheep said:

I am officially holding the paper edition of this new French Bible in my hands right now!

What color is the paperback cover?

3 hours ago, Patinage said:

The French Bible cover is in elegant, beautiful grey (if I understand your question correctly) - the same as all other covers of the new world translation 

I think I was misunderstanding some posts.  I thought it sounded like the cover was a soft-paper cover like our other publications are today (or like our old NWT).  Everybody has been getting their 2013 RNWT Bibles in the Grey soft-leather like covers.  I just wondered if the French version was different.  think the error is on my part.

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

We started the NWT translation in the 1940's.  Br. Rutherford "Hated" anything that looked or sounded like Christendom.  Since God did not call his writings the "Bible" I imagine the trend was to revert to the reference of "Holy Writings" or "Holy Scripture". 

Yes, that's exactly what I meant but you expressed it so much better. 😎:lol:

Many of the revisions have been called the Holy Bible instead of Holy Scriptures. I think English is the only one that still uses Holy Scriptures. I’m expecting the Spanish revision to be called La Traduccion del Nuevo Mundo de la Santa Biblia. One thing I and many others have noticed in our territory is that when we show people “las Santas Escrituras”, they don’t get it right away. When we tell them “la biblia”, they get it right away. Many people have simply heard Holy Bible, Santa Biblia and other terms and they’re used to it. Seeing how the Slave is simplifying publications to use more common language, I wouldn’t be surprised if future revisions and new releases of the NWT use Holy Bible. 

2 hours ago, Dages said:

Yes, we also changed the names of many characters to the classical (non-hebrew/greek) version of them, the one we used in the 1984 version... I don't really like it but it's the same when compared with the other non JW version of the BIble

In fact we just went back to the older names we had in our French bible before the 1984 version 

example : Tsephania est redevenu Sophonie, Haggai est Aggée etc etc....

Yehotsadaq est redevenu Josué ....

it is much easier for me 😀

i don't even mention all the kings and prophets we had to learn their new names in the 1984 version 

now back to the old good names (ha ha)

bravo pour la simplification 👍