JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 654 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

While no Organization-made translation exists, I suggest Greenlandic
http://old.bibelselskabet.dk/grobib/web/bibelen.htm

The word “Chapter” is short and sweet—“Kapitel”, but that is because that word is borrowed from Danish!

Edit: Man is this forum software smart... Too many messages within a short time from this guy so it merged my posts with different topics together

Oh yeah, attaching a picture of the Finnish NWT that my parents sent me on WhatsApp.

18FC06F5-B035-4484-BB83-C9F42009B292.thumb.jpeg.6b291637cab296c234c1dfb6da96af97.jpeg

https://www.jw.org/download/?booknum=0&output=html&pub=nwt&fileformat=PDF%2CEPUB%2CJWPUB%2CRTF%2CTXT%2CBRL%2CBES&alllangs=0&langwritten=FI&txtCMSLang=FI&isBible=1

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 7/28/2018 at 5:31 AM, carlos said:

I like it saying "The Bible" on the cover.

Of course "The Holy Scriptures" is correct and everything, but I think the only reason why it was called that name was to do things differently. IMO it doesn't make sense to title a book "the Holy Scriptures" and then call it "The Bible" all the time.

The Russian government used it as an argument when it launched its campaign to ban the NWT, saying it was not a Bible because it did not have the word Bible on its cover. 

On 7/28/2018 at 6:15 AM, Sheep said:

I thought it might be to avoid alienating people who don't believe in "The Bible." For example, we have a large Jewish territory in Montreal, as do many major cities. Jews seem to equate the word Bible with Christianity, and so we tend to use the term "scriptures" when speaking to them. (Of course, we concentrate on showing them verses from the Hebrew scriptures, books of the Bible they are familiar with.) However, I could be wrong. French publishers in Montreal (or in France maybe) come across Jews too.

Interesting, here in Kyrgyzstan, we do not use the word "Bible" in Kyrgyz either because it is associated with the local Russian Orthodox church, the Trinity, the cross, pork and stuff. Instead, brothers use "the Holy Scriptures" not to alienate Muslims. 

In light of the Russian Bible ban and the general trend in the organisation, from what I understand, to revert from "the Holy Scriptures" to "Bible", what will brothers put on the cover of the next editions of NWT in Kyrgyz and possibly in other languages used in culturally Muslim countries. 

By the way, I know that the Russian NWT is in the works. I have seen brothers use quotes from it in their broadcasts. I wonder when they will release it. The current one was translated in 1984 and it is need of an update. There are things that I find harder to understand or a bit confusing. 

For example, 1 Tim 6:10 says: " the love of money is the root of all evil" which is not the same as the English version. 

Also Hebrew idioms are used as in the original like in Jeremiah 17:10: "I, Jehovah, am searching the heart and examining the kidneys" while in English it is "the innermost thoughts". 

3 hours ago, Bek said:

By the way, I know that the Russian NWT is in the works. I have seen brothers use quotes from it in their broadcasts. I wonder when they will release it. The current one was translated in 1984 and it is need of an update. There are things that I find harder to understand or a bit confusing. 

Are you sure? The current Russian Bible is from 1984? I don't speak Russian, but I have a photo of a Russian Bible (although blurry). Look at the date in it:

893553505_RussianBible.jpg.605a1abaa60b617e981da292db43e88d.jpg

22 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Are you sure? The current Russian Bible is from 1984? I don't speak Russian, but I have a photo of a Russian Bible (although blurry). Look at the date in it:

893553505_RussianBible.jpg.605a1abaa60b617e981da292db43e88d.jpg

I have just checked the one in my JW library app and it says the latest revision of the Russian Bible was carried out in 2007 which was based on the English 1984 revised edition. That means the current Russian translation is nearly 12 years old. So I hope the next revision will come out soon.   

The year in your picture is for when it was printed. 

Interesting, here in Kyrgyzstan, we do not use the word "Bible" in Kyrgyz either because it is associated with the local Russian Orthodox church, the Trinity, the cross, pork and stuff. Instead, brothers use "the Holy Scriptures" not to alienate Muslims. 

In light of the Russian Bible ban and the general trend in the organisation, from what I understand, to revert from "the Holy Scriptures" to "Bible", what will brothers put on the cover of the next editions of NWT in Kyrgyz and possibly in other languages used in culturally Muslim countries. 

For example, 1 Tim 6:10 says: " the love of money is the root of all evil" which is not the same as the English version. 

Also Hebrew idioms are used as in the original like in Jeremiah 17:10: "I, Jehovah, am searching the heart and examining the kidneys" while in English it is "the innermost thoughts". 

The translators strive to be sensitive to the need of the local territory. Hence, the Swedish Bible is also entitled “The Bible—New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures”.

As for idioms, they are used only if clearly understood.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that it got released in the Spanish Sign Language... But for Spanish itself it's not yet released.

I have no doubt it will come, but I'm sure it's a daunting task to make the Spanish NWT from the many countries that speak Spanish be cohesive, seeing as how the Spanish in every country has some differences.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Interesting that it got released in the Spanish Sign Language... But for Spanish itself it's not yet released.

I have no doubt it will come, but I'm sure it's a daunting task to make the Spanish NWT from the many countries that speak Spanish be cohesive, seeing as how the Spanish in every country has some differences.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I’m sure the brothers have discussed various solutions. It will be interesting to see their conclusions.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 hours ago, ren'z said:

We received a box mark as PLEASE DO NOT OPEN UNTIL THE DIRECTION FROM THE BRANCH and we have upcoming special meeting this January 12. I so exited, I'm gonna scream now! I've been spoiled!

How do you know it's a bible if you can't open it?

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

8 hours ago, Nirex said:

I'm not sure but, I heard in some other languages  has already release nwt the branch sent first a do not open packages. That was I expecting in my language.

8 hours ago, Nirex said:

It's very unusual to receive literature packages with the instructions not to open them until further notice. If you add that they have a special meeting in a few weeks where the whole country will be invited... It seems quite evident that the new Bible will be released. :)

I'm not sure but, I heard in some other languages  has already release nwt the branch sent first a do not open packages. That was I expecting in my language.

That’s the way we did it here. The brothers were very keen to open the boxes on the day of the release at a given signal. If you want it make it a bit fun for your brothers and sisters, do not mention the boxes to them.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...