JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 649 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:38 AM, ren'z said:

Cebuano, the second most spoken language here in Philippines.

Nice!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

New World Translation Released in Five Languages
On January 12, 2019, in Benin City, Nigeria, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures was released in the Isoko language and the revised edition of the New World Translation was released in the Yoruba language. On the same day, in Dudley, West Midlands, England, the book of Matthew from the New World Translation was released in British Sign Language.
The New World Translation was also released in two languages in the Philippines. The revised edition was released in Cebuano on January 12, 2019, in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu. On the following day, in Palo, Leyte, the New World Translation was released in Waray-Waray. The New World Translation has been translated in whole or in part into 179 languages, including 18 complete revisions based on the 2013 edition.

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/nwt-isoko-yoruba-cebuano-waray-waray-british-sign-language/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On January 12, 2019, in Benin City, Nigeria, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures was released in the Isoko language and the revised edition of the New World Translation was released in the Yoruba language. On the same day, in Dudley, West Midlands, England, the book of Matthew from the New World Translation was released in British Sign Language.
The New World Translation was also released in two languages in the Philippines. The revised edition was released in Cebuano on January 12, 2019, in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu. On the following day, in Palo, Leyte, the New World Translation was released in Waray-Waray. The New World Translation has been translated in whole or in part into 179 languages, including 18 complete revisions based on the 2013 edition.

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/nwt-isoko-yoruba-cebuano-waray-waray-british-sign-language/

Can you imagine what it costs to produce these Bibles? And Jehovah gives this translation as a gift to us. The best Bible translation ever produced in history, and he gives it as a gift to truth-seeking people.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Wonderful news!

As someone said previously, the revised German Bible might be released on Feb. 2nd. If so, I hope the revised Spanish Bible is coming down the pipe soon!

We received a box mark as PLEASE DO NOT OPEN UNTIL THE DIRECTION FROM THE BRANCH and we have upcoming special meeting this January 12. I so exited, I'm gonna scream now! I've been spoiled!
Soo what was it then?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, TobyB said:

by the way, we received some boxes last week - only to open from coordinator.......what could that be ?....I don't get it..... 😁

Shouldn't be 'I don't get them' - i.e. the boxes?

Curious, since I am not an elder (and if this is not confidential) - what size are the boxes?

Seriously and on topic - NW is how many languages now?  (179+?).

OK, what revision of the 2013 revision are some of you posting about?   

Do we still adhere to the change of translating Heb. chuwg  in Job 26:10 from "circle" (NW ref) to "horizon" (the new NW) in non-English revisions? 

[compare Heb. chuwg/hhug in Isaiah 40:22]

Shouldn't be 'I don't get them' - i.e. the boxes?

Curious, since I am not an elder (and if this is not confidential) - what size are the boxes?

Seriously and on topic - NW is how many languages now?  (179+?).

OK, what revision of the 2013 revision are some of you posting about?   

Do we still adhere to the change of translating Heb. chuwg  in Job 26:10 from "circle" (NW ref) to "horizon" (the new NW) in non-English revisions? 

[compare Heb. chuwg/hhug in Isaiah 40:22]

It is correct that we render חֹק as horizon in Job 26:10. It can also mean a decree, boundary, regulation, statute, or ration, allotment. According to Strong’s, it is understood as a circular horizon. That is, it bends. In Isa 40:22, a similar word, ח֣וּג, is translated circle, but just as well be translated sphere. It is translated ‘horizon’ in Pr 8:27.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, MM9106 said:

So many new languages! It’s exciting. I’m hoping and praying that Spanish comes soon. It would be so helpful for those in the territory. More often than not we have to stop and explain certain words and expressions to them. Can’t wait for it

I think the Spanish version will be presented this summer (Northern hemisphere). We have a lot of International Conventions in Spanish: Madrid, Miami, Houston, Monterrey, Guayaquil, Buenos Aires...

I expect and hope that it will be launched there. :)

37 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Sr. Alexa, If you are using the 2013 NWT digital version, it is the last item in the INDEX section (before the Appendix)'

This is not true of the digital "Study Bible" NWT.

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

4 hours ago, carlos said:

I think the Spanish version will be presented this summer (Northern hemisphere). We have a lot of International Conventions in Spanish: Madrid, Miami, Houston, Monterrey, Guayaquil, Buenos Aires...

I expect and hope that it will be launched there. :)

That seems to be the expectation everywhere. A lot of brothers are anxiously awaiting the first Spanish international in Miami. 

2 hours ago, Bek said:

Which Spanish dialect is used for the NWT? As I understand, there are many dialects and some of them are not 100 per cent mutually intelligible.  

There are many variants of Spanish, but all Spanish speakers can understand each other if they make an effort. There is an American Spanish standard that is used in many TV programs, radio broadcasts and books, and is widely understood throughout North and South America. Then there's the European Spanish we speak in Spain. There are differences in pronunciation and vocabulary, but we can understand American Spanish without any problem and vice versa.

Our publications and videos are usually in American Spanish although the translators make huge efforts to obtain a translation as standard as possible. Some of the videos we use in field service are also available in European Spanish, not because Spaniards don't understand American Spanish but in order to avoid prejudices.

I presume that the new NWT will be in American Spanish, although maybe they will give us a surprise and present one version in European Spanish too. They have done that, for example, with European and Brazilian Portuguese. Imagine if they prepared a version in British English! :lol:

7 minutes ago, carlos said:

There are many variants of Spanish, but all Spanish speakers can understand each other if they make an effort. There is an American Spanish standard that is used in many TV programs, radio broadcasts and books, and is widely understood throughout North and South America. Then there's the European Spanish we speak in Spain. There are differences in pronunciation and vocabulary, but we can understand American Spanish without any problem and vice versa.

Our publications and videos are usually in American Spanish although the translators make huge efforts to obtain a translation as standard as possible. Some of the videos we use in field service are also available in European Spanish, not because Spaniards don't understand American Spanish but in order to avoid prejudices.

I presume that the new NWT will be in American Spanish, although maybe they will give us a surprise and present one version in European Spanish too. They have done that, for example, with European and Brazilian Portuguese. Imagine if they prepared a version in British English! :lol:

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have never heard American Spanish. I guess it is similar to Mexican Spanish with bit of US-influenced words of its own. :)

I have read about the variance between European and Brazilian Portuguese. It seems that Brazilian Portuguese has moved away from its European roots quite a bit and has almost become a separate language. No wonder brothers have decided to release separate NWT versions.

I have thought a few times that it would be great to have all the video and audio materials also dubbed in UK English or at least the Bible. I am much more used to the standard UK accent. 

There is a similar problem in Arabic. Brothers dub monthly broadcasts and most videos in the Lebanese dialect, which is understandable, but still a challenge. However, major publications are all dubbed in standard Arabic.   

2 hours ago, Anaiah said:

Last week, Bro. Mark Sanderson, Governing Body member of Jehovah’s Witnesses, announced the release of new Bibles in Cebuano, Tagalog & Waray-Waray.

FB_IMG_1548159882273.jpg

FB_IMG_1548159886875.jpg

FB_IMG_1548159891290.jpg

It is so nice to see him dressed not in a suit and tie as he would here, but what they would wear for the weather and culture in that part of the world..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..