JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 628 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Which Spanish dialect is used for the NWT? As I understand, there are many dialects and some of them are not 100 per cent mutually intelligible.  

If you are talking about the Spanish translation of the revised 2013 edition, it has not been released in any Spanish dialects yet.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 hours ago, Bek said:

New World Translation Released in Tagalog

Salamat! (I know a few words of Tagalog.)

4 hours ago, Anaiah said:

Last week, Bro. Mark Sanderson, Governing Body member of Jehovah’s Witnesses, announced the release of new Bibles in Cebuano, Tagalog & Waray-Waray.

FB_IMG_1548159882273.jpg

I figured it would be Mark Sanderson releasing the Filipino dialect translations. He served in the Philippines branch for a few years before coming back to the US. Sisters Dove and rlyem above alluded to his Barong Tagalog (shirt). It is considered formal attire in the Philippines, and he wore it on several occasions while delivering talks when he served there.

9 hours ago, Bek said:

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have never heard American Spanish. I guess it is similar to Mexican Spanish with bit of US-influenced words of its own. :)

No, when I said American I didn't mean from the US but that it's understood by Spanish speakers in both North and South America.

Maybe Latino Spanish would have been a better word choice. Basically it's Mexican Spanish without such a marked accent and with an effort to use widely understood terms instead of Mexican localisms.

Since movies and programs broadcast in all of North and South America are dubbed with this kind of Spanish, people there are very used to it. As I mentioned, for a speaker in Spain it sounds funny but perfectly understandable. Besides, many of the differences are noticed in pronunciation, not in writing. So if there's only one version of the NWT in Spanish, it will be Latino Spanish.

10 hours ago, Bek said:

There is a similar problem in Arabic. Brothers dub monthly broadcasts and most videos in the Lebanese dialect, which is understandable, but still a challenge. However, major publications are all dubbed in standard Arabic.   

Wow, Arabic is another world entirely. All the written publications I have seen were in standard Arabic, but I have some videos on my tablet in Moroccan Arabic, which is the one most Arab-speakers here understand.

14 hours ago, carlos said:

No, when I said American I didn't mean from the US but that it's understood by Spanish speakers in both North and South America.

Maybe Latino Spanish would have been a better word choice. Basically it's Mexican Spanish without such a marked accent and with an effort to use widely understood terms instead of Mexican localisms.

Since movies and programs broadcast in all of North and South America are dubbed with this kind of Spanish, people there are very used to it. As I mentioned, for a speaker in Spain it sounds funny but perfectly understandable. Besides, many of the differences are noticed in pronunciation, not in writing. So if there's only one version of the NWT in Spanish, it will be Latino Spanish.

Wow, Arabic is another world entirely. All the written publications I have seen were in standard Arabic, but I have some videos on my tablet in Moroccan Arabic, which is the one most Arab-speakers here understand.

Ok, now I understand. I have heard that Mexican Spanish, particularly that one spoken in Mexico, is one of the best in terms of accents. 

I guess that is because Morocco is just a few kilometers across the sea from Spain. By the way, Moroccan Arabic can hardly be called an Arabic dialect. This applies also to the other North African Arabic dialects in Tunis, Algiers and to some extent in Libya. It is impossible to understand them because of the many foreign loanwords, especially from the European languages and the Berber language. An Arab from Lebanon or some other Arabic-speaking country will not understand them at all unless they switch to standard Arabic. However, the North Africans can understand other Arabic dialects perfectly. 

The reason why most videos are done in the Lebanese dialect is because many Arabic-speakers brothers are from Lebanon, which has a large "Christian" population. However, I think that the organisation will eventually switch to standard Arabic completely when producing video and audio material because more Arabic-speakers from other countries are accepting the truth now. 

I hope I will see the revised Russian and Arabic NWT Bibles soon. If not, I will do so in the new world. :) 

Today we’ve had the revised NWT in Swedish for a year. It has been interesting to start to use it in the ministry. You no longer have to explain basic concepts, such as Sheol. We now talk about “eternity” instead of “time indefinite”, and people know what we are talking about. The Study Bible, which was released at the same time, has been invaluable, and although the brothers understand the hard work behind each release, they wait eagerly for each new Bible book release.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The RNWT in German is some 200+ pages longer than the English one, and 300 pages longer than its older counterpart.

German is a difficult language and one can surely understands why this translation needed more time for completion. Well, thanks to Jehovah, the FDS and the anonymous translation team, we now have it!!! We are truly thankful!!

Electronic copy available from Monday, 4 February and sadly, no pocket edition, because it would be just as big as the regular size edition and wouldn’t fit a pocket.

Are you getting the Study Bible as well?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just a little sad we won't be getting a "pocket edition", I always thought those were mega practical. I don't read the Bible on my mobile device it's just not the same for me.

The reason is that our new edition is about 200 pages thicker than the English NWT.

Then again without a lot of the appendixes and cross-references, maybe it would work? Who knows, maybe they'll change their mind sometime.

For now, super happy to finally have it in a more modern and easier language.

The best part, by the way, was "Ezekiel, 19"

Just a little sad we won't be getting a "pocket edition", I always thought those were mega practical. I don't read the Bible on my mobile device it's just not the same for me.

The reason is that our new edition is about 200 pages thicker than the English NWT.

Then again without a lot of the appendixes and cross-references, maybe it would work? Who knows, maybe they'll change their mind sometime.

For now, super happy to finally have it in a more modern and easier language.

The best part, by the way, was "Ezekiel, 19"

The pocket edition does not have the cross references or many of the other features. Still, if it becomes too large, that’s just the way it is. I’m sure they tried it, produced samples, etc. Try a handy digital device instead. It works well.

What about Ezekiel 19?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

29 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

What about Ezekiel 19?

Brother Lösch tricked us. We were all so giddy to open up all the passages and read in the "new language" and Brother Lösch was a little doddery today, and at one point, he sort of seemed a slight bit sluggish as he said

....Ezekiel.... 19....

*pages started turning

... from the Philippines wrote this in a letter

as he looked up cheekily.

I had to laugh out loud

34 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

. Try a handy digital device instead. It works well.

No, I can't read longer things on handheld devices. PC's a little bit, but books work best for me for long texts.

No, I can't read longer things on handheld devices. PC's a little bit, but books work best for me for long texts.

The a digital device works fine even for larger jwpub files. Perhaps you should consider one with a screen suitable for reading?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 minute ago, Thesauron said:

The a digital device works fine even for larger jwpub files. Perhaps you should consider one with a screen suitable for reading?

Maybe it's because I stare at a screen all day at work and spend time in the internet or playing video-games my eyes don't want even more screen-time, so I prefer to read paper, but generally I'm better at taking information off of print.

Sometimes at work, when I really need to closely look at a contract or quotation, I print it out.

17 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:
Maybe it's because I stare at a screen all day at work and spend time in the internet or playing video-games my eyes don't want even more screen-time, so I prefer to read paper, but generally I'm better at taking information off of print.

Sometimes at work, when I really need to closely look at a contract or quotation, I print it out.

Many people think the phone screen works fine in the ministry. They like the ability to just have it in their pockets and carry no bag. Personally, I think the screens are too small, so I use an iPad, which has a screen suitable for my eyes. It also works fine for the meetings, study, and longer reading sessions. Then again, I’ve always found the pocket Bible too small to use effectively in the ministry, but some seem to like it.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”