JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 650 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Bek said:
Wow, great news! Happy for our German‐speaking brothers.

Was "Die Bibel" before on the cover or did it just say nwt holy scriptures on German?

It’s the common name on newer editions, these days. The Swedish Edition is called the New World Translation of the Bible, which circumvents the argument from some that we do not call our translation a Bible.

Edited by Thesauron

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Gerrit Lösch (I hope I translated him understandably):

"Suppose a smoker wants to smoke his goodnight cigarette in bed in the evening, but finds that there is none left. What does a good smoker do then? Would he say to himself, "Then I'll smoke an additional cigarette tomorrow"? No, he dresses and goes to a shop or a vending machine. That's how we should handle Bible reading."

"Falling asleep while smoking can be fatal, by the way. Falling asleep while reading the Bible is not a big problem. As long as it doesn't happen every day. It's not a sign of little appreciation, Jehovah won't hold it against us. It is a sign that we really tried!"

Gesendet von meinem TA-1012 mit Tapatalk

Gerrit Lösch: "Reading the Daily Text is not the same as reading the Bible. It's just reading the Daily Text. What does it mean to read the Bible daily? It means reading the Bible daily" default_smile.png

A lot of people here in Sweden are just now coming off their first one year bible reading schedule, and it’s amazing to see how a Bible that is easier to understand changes people. They finally get some really difficult passages, and it affects them positively.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

28 minutes ago, KingDavid said:

Gerrit Lösch (I hope I translated him understandably):

"Suppose a smoker wants to smoke his goodnight cigarette in bed in the evening, but finds that there is none left. What does a good smoker do then? Would he say to himself, "Then I'll smoke an additional cigarette tomorrow"? No, he dresses and goes to a shop or a vending machine. That's how we should handle Bible reading."

"Falling asleep while smoking can be fatal, by the way. Falling asleep while reading the Bible is not a big problem. As long as it doesn't happen every day. It's not a sign of little appreciation, Jehovah won't hold it against us. It is a sign that we really tried!"

Very good illustrations! 

The first one drives it home for me since I used to smoke and I remember going out at night in search of a bedtime cig. The addiction is so strong that you are not your own man. 

So he is suggesting in a positive way that we should become addicted to Bible reading. :)

Very good illustrations! 

The first one drives it home for me since I used to smoke and I remember going out at night in search of a bedtime cig. The addiction is so strong that you are not your own man. 

So he is suggesting in a positive way that we should become addicted to Bible reading.

Addicted to Bible reading, well said Brother Lösch said he smoked himself a long time ago.

4 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Do you have any good examples?

The Bible reading from this years 3-day-convention immediately springs to mind. Much nicer to hear the words than to read along, it was simply more fluid.

One that I can remember Brother Lösch mentioned is

Denn er selbst kennt unser Gebilde wohl, ist eingedenk dessen, daß wir Staub sind.

Is now

Denn er kennt unsere Beschaffenheit nur zu gut, er denkt daran, dass wir Staub sind.

Long words like "er selbst" ("he himself") have been shortened to "he"

Nobody would ever say he is "eingedenk dessen", ("it is beknownst to him") it's antiquated beyond limits, nobody would ever use that expression in Germany. "Er denkt" simply means "He knows"

Long words like "er selbst" ("he himself") have been shortened to "he"

Nobody would ever say he is "eingedenk dessen", ("it is beknownst to him") it's antiquated beyond limits, nobody would ever use that expression in Germany. "Er denkt" simply means "He knows"
Did they get rid of the 'Scharfes S'? (zum beispiel dass?)

Just Older

Just Older

After a short vowel follows, according to the new German spelling rules from 1996, now a double s (ss), instead of a sharp S (or Eszett / ß).
For example: Fluss, nass, dass (In the case it means "so that". But the article "das" (means "the") remains an exception )

After a long vowel or a double sound (au, äu, ei, eu) follows a sharp S. So it didn't fall away.
For example: Spaß, Fleiß...

4 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Just Older emoji856.png

This is due to several spelling reforms that took place in the past years, I guess that's an additional reason the revised version took a little longer.

Some words, words with a short vowel, no longer have the ß

Examples: daß => dass ; Schloß = Schloss ; Maße = Masse (mass)

Words that have a long, drawn out vowel are still written with ß

Examples: Schoß ; groß ; Maße = Maße (dimensions)

You'd think the Germans, with their history, would never go back to bringing back the SS :deadhorse:

Edited by ChocoBro

After a short vowel follows, according to the new German spelling rules from 1996, now a double s (ss), instead of a sharp S (or Eszett / ß).
For example: Fluss, nass, dass (In the case it means "so that". But the article "das" (means "the") remains an exception )

After a long vowel or a double sound (au, äu, ei, eu) follows a sharp S. So it didn't fall away.
For example: Spaß, Fleiß...

I went to school in Austria in the 60's. So I remember the old way. We used the Eberfelder Bible with the old style characters and writing. I can still read it, but the language is soooo old and out of date... (bit like me...)

Tschuss

Just Older

I went to school in Austria in the 60's. So I remember the old way. We used the Eberfelder Bible with the old style characters and writing. I can still read it, but the language is soooo old and out of date... (bit like me...)

Tschuss

Just Older

Wow, you got a lot of exciting stories to tell. When did you leave Austria? The Elberfelder Bible was also in use for a long time in eastern Germany, because it contained the name of Jehovah in many places and was more easily available.