JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Just finished watching big eyes movie it had a just 2 swearwords in it like the F word and the S word but overall it was very good. It mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses quite a bit I was surprised. If you didn't know already there was an article in the 1975 awake July 8 where she gaves her experience.

I was going through some of the reports on the movie and there was one called " the bathroom scene" where two women were arguing in the restroom and the language was very bad. did this come from the movie as I wouldn't want to watch it if it was.? I'm not very computer savvy so may have my wires crossed.

I just saw the movie last night and I’m really glad I went to see it. I loved it when I saw the two sisters coming up the walkway to Margaret Keane’s door in Hawaii, and reading to her 2 Timothy 3:1 & 2. Later as she’s started studying, she reads from the Truth book right up there on the big screen. That was so well done, I actually felt tears of joy coming to my eyes to hear Jehovah’s name publicly mentioned in a worldly film! (Sorry, that’s the way I am.)

Amy Adams did a fantastic job as Margaret Keane, and no doubt she too got a good witness while doing the film. Take a look at a couple of YouTube videos about the two of them meeting during the making of the film, and at the premiere. Amy Adams was nominated for a Golden Globe award as best actress in Big Eyes.

While reading some online magazine and newspaper articles about her life (LA Times, New York Times, CBS News), one thing about the chronology of Sister Keane's life became more clear. It was in about 1970 that she was contacted by Jehovah's Witnesses and read in the Truth book about how Jehovah feels about dishonesty. It was in that same year she felt compelled to appear on the radio in Hawaii and tell the world she was the painter of the big-eyed paintings. She was baptized in 1972. But I read a People Magazine article from 1986 that said it wasn't until that year that the scene in the courtroom took place. This was more than twenty years after their separation, but the film isn't clear on that.

There is a little bad language in it, but I didn't hear any of it from Margaret Keane's mouth in the film. Yes, I recommend the movie too. For a worldly movie, it was well written, well directed, and well acted.

There is a little bad language in it, but I didn't hear any of it from Margaret Keane's mouth in the film. Yes, I recommend the movie too. For a worldly movie, it was well written, well directed, and well acted.

I don't recall her character cussing, either.  However, Margaret Keane is quoted in articles that she used to cuss back then, before she became a Witness.

I also just saw it and it was better than I expected. Did you catch the cameo appearance by the real "Margaret"?

She was sitting on a park bench in the background of a scene in the park.

Yep! This movie was very touching throughout. I was blown away at how favorable we were depicted, at how we were portrayed as surreal heroes in her life, her daughter's too. When the two sisters approached her door a lady sitting behind me whispered "Jehovah's Witnesses." I was so awestruck at what I consider to be a fabulous witness in this movie!! Moved me to tears.

When the Yuba City Assembly Hall underwent a large renovation Margaret painted and donated two original paintings. Both of them depict the wonderful blessings of God's kingdom. :)

This one hangs to the left side of the podium; left of the baptismal pool.

5409561462_06d23a13a8_z.jpg

The other hangs to the right of the podium as these wonderful Hmong sisters can attest.

5547409788_2e533f4b83_z.jpg

What beautiful paintings. I love our sister more than ever now.  :bringiton:

I was going through some of the reports on the movie and there was one called " the bathroom scene" where two women were arguing in the restroom and the language was very bad. did this come from the movie as I wouldn't want to watch it if it was.? I'm not very computer savvy so may have my wires crossed.

That must be a different movie. The only F-bomb came from her friend who was in a fight with her abusive husband.

I recommend this movie. I mean, do you ever find yourself watching a movie and hope the stars learn the truth and become baptized? Well now you can.

We read her life experience as part of our family worship the night before going to see the movie.

My mom and I thoroughly enjoyed it for the accurate portrayal of the Witnesses (the life experience from the Awake! shares their nationality) as well as the respectful way her life was treated in the movie.  There are several curse words added to get the US movie rating to PG-13 for those that wanted to know.

My mom cracked up laughing at the hammy portrayal of Walter Keane.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I won't give the name of the congregation involved, but this is kind of interesting. An old friend who was a retired District Overseer was living on the grounds of the Kingdom hall and he and his wife recently passed away. They were friends of Margaret's and over the years she had given them many of her original paintings which now hang in the "apartment" at the Kingdom hall, for the next retired CO or DO to enjoy. 

I've just seen the movie, I think others have covered the main points well.  There is the F-word once and a few other milder swear words but this is not throughout the film.  No nudity, no violence and no vulgarity.  

The truth isn't featured hugely, it's mainly there as the turning point to Margaret's decision to come clean and tell the world the truth about her paintings - but it is portrayed in a positive respectful way. Jehovah's name is mentioned severl times.;. and yes, we see her reading aloud from the blue bombshell!  

I don't think it's a fantastic movie but it's a good movie, a nice move.  I doubt if it will be a big blockbuster hit, it's a little... kitch a bit too 1950's for today's audiences maybe ...  but a lot of Witnesses I think will see it because a "happy ending" positive pleasant film is a rarity.

Edited by sunshine

Maybe someone here could help out. The first post in this thread showed some of Margaret Keane's paintings that hang in the Yuba City, California, Assembly Hall. Does anyone know if she donated paintings to other Assembly Halls? Someone sent me the attached photo, admittedly out of focus, from the Honolulu Bethel. She thinks it's one of Sister Keane's paintings, possibly from earlier in her life as a Witness. Personally, I don't think it's her style though. Hers feature faces more than scenery, but this one has no one looking at the viewer. Does anyone know for certain? Or at least, what are your thoughts?

post-1993-0-54254400-1420759527_thumb.jp