JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We wanted to go see it tonight with my in laws to kick off our holidays. Its already out of the theater up here. I cant believe they pulled it. I am so disappointed we won't be able to see this now in the theater.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Out of curiosity I looked at a review of the movie on a "Christian" site and it was kinda laughable. Just an excuse to promote "JWs are a cult" nonsense and one comment said "they need Jesus" (Huh?). They missed the whole point about how Margaret's life was changed and how happy she is now than when she wasn't a Witness and a so called regular "Christian"...

Yeah ChrestenDUMB is populated with self-righteous bigots. If Big Eyes annoys them, then, well... LOL!

I think a lot of Witnesses are missing this point.  A sister I know was disappointed in the movie.  She didn't feel it wen't far enough.  Basically, she wanted to see a movie version of the '75 Awake article.  Well, that's not going to happen and that wasn't the subject of the movie.  The subject was how Margaret Keane came forward as the real painter and the subsequent lawsuit.

However, I think this sister missed or ignored the fact that, while brief, Witnesses are portrayed as quite normal, very favorable and as the missing piece to Margaret's life puzzle.  Walter Keane is in one scene running down Witnesses and he sounds quite laughable.  

To the best of my knowledge this is the only movie that has ever portrayed us realistically and in a very positive light.  The presentation the two sisters give sounds just like a demonstration at the Kingdom Hall.  If anyone else knows of a better one, please share.  

This movie can only serve as a positive witness.

Yep! This movie was very touching throughout. I was blown away at how favorable we were depicted, at how we were portrayed as surreal heroes in her life, her daughter's too. When the two sisters approached her door a lady sitting behind me whispered "Jehovah's Witnesses." I was so awestruck at what I consider to be a fabulous witness in this movie!! Moved me to tears.

This was my second favor part of the whole film, behind Amy Adams saying Jehovah's name while reading the Truth book. :)

oh you guys! I just had to search out other Movie reviews from Christendu- I mean Christendom...too.  Your fault.

All the review I saw gave a good to very good review and many correctly just point out that Maragaret converts to Jehovah's Witnesses sticking to the facts.  Actually I didn't realize "christian reviews" were so detailed about content, that's positive if you really want do know how many  inches of leg are shown in a movie or exactly how many swear words ect. are there if any.

Only one review I saw felt the need say that (quote) "while the scriptures read in the move are from the bible it is important to point out that Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult" (I suppose it's important to point this out because from the movie we see them helping the individual read the bible, being supportive and helping her become honest and lead a happier and more fulfilling life... so I suppose it's important to point out the  "cult status"  of such people.  Just in case their readership missed that and came away from the movie with any positive feelings about Jehovah's Witnesses.  

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad...

Edited by sunshine

Maybe someone here could help out. The first post in this thread showed some of Margaret Keane's paintings that hang in the Yuba City, California, Assembly Hall. Does anyone know if she donated paintings to other Assembly Halls? Someone sent me the attached photo, admittedly out of focus, from the Honolulu Bethel. She thinks it's one of Sister Keane's paintings, possibly from earlier in her life as a Witness. Personally, I don't think it's her style though. Hers feature faces more than scenery, but this one has no one looking at the viewer. Does anyone know for certain? Or at least, what are your thoughts?

I have friend in Hawaii, and I think they mentioned something of her's was at the assembly hall out there.

The Golden Globe Awards program was on Sunday night. (Scroll down to "02:05 GMT.")

The Golden Globe for best actress in a comedy or musical film goes to Amy Adams for director Tim Burton's "Big Eyes," about the 1950s painter Margaret Keane and the way her husband took credit for her work.

See also PeopleIMDb, Entertainment Weekly, and her acceptance speech on Perez Hilton.

We wanted to go see it tonight with my in laws to kick off our holidays. Its already out of the theater up here. I cant believe they pulled it. I am so disappointed we won't be able to see this now in the theater.

Me, too! I was trying to find someone to go with me but couldn't and now it's gone already. I'm watching to see if it comes to the cheap theatre on Frederick later. ( I think it's called imagine theatre now)

Has anyone bought any of her art either before or after the movie aired? Just wondering. I have talked to several that want to but must save for it.

Before my son was born, while pregnant, I bought 3 of Margaret's plates from the franklin mint of the 'gentle kingdom' series....

These three -

Pu's polar playground http://www.collectorpoint.com/plate/itemview.php?id=22834

Penny's polenisian paradise http://www.collectorpoint.com/plate/itemview.php?id=22836

Jennifer's jungle http://www.collectorpoint.com/plate/itemview.php?id=22835

So I decorated the nursery with them (the big eyes unnerved my kids tho!)

I love the plates so much and when I needed to sell things this past year to make ends meet, these were some of the only things I had worth selling so I listed them on kijiji. I am happy to say they didn't sell! I really didn't want to have to sell them but at the time it was a desperate situation. Jehovah took care of us in other ways - and so happily- these 3 plates still hang in my downstairs today!

Saw the movie really enjoyed it ......was interesting to me how at the low point in her life JEHOVAH had those humble little sisters arrive on her door step and the very thing that plaqued her was mentioned in that one scripture. It touched her and she wanted to hear more.

Obviously timing was everything .....JEHOVAH was directing . A point obvious to us as Jehovahs people.

In one of her recent interviews she said she was actually kind of numb for a few days after reliving her life in the movie.

I for one as a teenager had four of Margrets pictures on my bedroom wall .....I loved them . I don't remember how I aquired them but I had them . As the years past some how my appreciation for them must have diminished because I have no recollection of what happened to them! ( this was before I learnt she was a sister) I'm holding on to the hope that with eternity in view perhaps Marggret will paint a few new ones for me to hang in my home in the Paradise. I'm sure she will be happy to oblige. :) I in turn I will hopefully have some hidden talent that Margret will appreciate and enjoy as my sister and friend.

It's now running at princess twin theatre in Waterloo -

http://www.princesscinemas.com/movie/big-eyes

Until Thursday at least.

My sister/chick Leesa and I went after the Sunday meeting a couple of weeks ago and had a great time!  It was like a real special date except there was no hand holding or kiss goodnight! :>) :lol:

We went out and ate, then went to the newly renovated theater--plush leather recliner seats which  had heaters and massage in the seats, drinks they would deliver to your seat, and you could even order a cocktail if so desired. :huh: But we decided to drink our $15.00 soda and share the buttered popcorn and carefully watch the story unfold.  I am glad Musky (I think it was Musky) who said Sister Keeane had a cameo role on a park bench, or we would have missed her.  We both spotted her at the same time and excitedly WHISPERED at the same time, "there she is" only to be "shhhhsed" by our companions in the theater. :o Then we composed ourselves and grappled over the last few kernels of corn.  We could go get a free refill on the popcorn but neither one of us could talk the other one into going to get it and missing a minute of the movie.  Also, when the two sisters were walking up the sidewalk we noticed they were holding the study book outward where you could see what they were carrying.  This later gave us more reason to talk about how they use to do things as compared to now.  It seems like I remember hearing somewhere along the way that we use to carry literature as such to be identified readily as opposed to now where we discreetly carry it and perhaps may not even use if for the first visit or two.  Could someone that has been witnessing many years confirm this? 

Anyway, it was a lovely day!  Began with worship to our creator and ended with warm friendship and a fuzzy feeling knowing that if it were not for Jehovah I would have never met Leesa or had any reason to socialize with her.  Jehovah brings so many people together that would never have been friends or associations in real life.  What a wonderful God we are privileged to serve!

We had such a good time we plan on making this a monthly thing.  Only think is we will change it to a week day matinee and carry a snack in our purse.  :unsure:

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have been engaging in door-to-door activity since the early 1960's and never knew of a particular time or direction to carry literature so it was clearly visible. Some did carry it that way, but that was not the norm where I am from. Most in our area carried book bags and had it stuffed full of various literature - or at least, the current offer.

When we were using the Truth Book, most here still used book bags.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~