JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I have a brother-in-law who is an elder and he went to see the documentary on global warming when it came out and unfortunately it was rated "R" because some of the once they interviewed in the documentary used unsavory language. My brother-in-law felt it was worth wading through to get the information this documentary presented. I'm afraid bad language is all around in every form of life (if you don't believe me, just count how many swear words you hear the next time you go to Wal-Mart!) just like homosexuality is, sometimes we can't foresee when we will run into it, other times WE CAN, those are the times we all need to make a decision based on our conscience and on the consciences of others when necessary. Funny, growing up as a kid, the words we were taught that were "bad" and not to say are now nothing! (We were taught not to say crud, fart, cop (disrespectful to police) and several other words that no one has a problem with now. It's the same principle as when the dance "the twist" came out in the 50's - the organization warned against doing it but would anyone really have a problem with it now? We live in an ever changing world as we strive to stick to Jehovah's standards (not his rules) so that gives us freedom to use our free will and bible trained conscience in certain matters like this one.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Other than the times God is used, I could even give a heads up on the 2 scenes that you'd want to avoid.  The one word (and I truly don't even know where the muffled one would have come in), is when Margaret's friend is leaving their house after she gets into her car in the driveway (so go out when she comes to the house if you don't want to hear it, or cover your ears).  and the hand gesture is made from the other art collector across the street from Keane's gallery as he looks across the street and Keane is leaving / photo ops or something are happening.  (I'm not clear on the actual elements of the scene but it is later in the movie).

My wife and I watched this last night on movietube and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had purposely not read the information about the film, even this thread, until now but I did know the background. I didn't know that her becoming a sister featured in the movie, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Yes, there are a few moments which I would have preferred were not there, but that will always be the case in movies today. I thought it was pretty restrained overall.

• 1 month later...

I hope I don't get in trouble for resurrecting an old topic here. (Someone in the forums here was told by another user once it was "seen as impolite" to dig up old topics.)

In Argentina and Germany the film Big Eyes hasn't even started playing in theatres yet, and won't be until April 9 and 23 respectively. But in most cities around the world it is no longer playing. It is scheduled to be released on DVD and Blu-ray on April 14. It is starting to make its appearance on eBay, but it doesn't look cheap. Maybe because it's still new? A video store where I am says the price of the DVD will be $21.99 (CDN) when it comes out. Some in my congregation didn't see the film, but now that we have told them about it they want to see it too! Maybe I should get one and have everyone who wants to see it chip in.

A couple of observations: The part showing the two sisters coming up to Margaret Keane's house starts at the 1 hour 20 minute mark of the film. When one of the sisters starts to read 2 Timothy 3:1-5, she only says "Do you know what it says in Timothy 3, 1 to 5?", leaving out the word "Second." When she starts reading the verse, it's not apparent where she is reading it from. It's not a Bible, but appears to be another 192-page book that she has along with the Truth book. Immediately following is the scene where Margaret and her daughter are considering what the Truth book says about honesty. Her exact words in the film, supposedly quoting from the Truth book, are: "a worshiper of Jehovah must be honest in all things." Interestingly, those words don't actually appear in the Truth book, but are in the Knowledge book (page 119, paragraph 5). Her quoted words after: "No lies speak the truth. Let the stealer steal no more" don't seem to appear in any of our publications. Okay, I guess poetic license could have a place in the film. Nevertheless, it still highlighted the turning point in Margaret Keane's life.

How about some trivia on Big Eyes? Try this link.

I hope I don't get in trouble for resurrecting an old topic here. (Someone in the forums here was told by another user once it was "seen as impolite" to dig up old topics.)

In Argentina and Germany the film Big Eyes hasn't even started playing in theatres yet, and won't be until April 9 and 23 respectively. But in most cities around the world it is no longer playing. It is scheduled to be released on DVD and Blu-ray on April 14. It is starting to make its appearance on eBay, but it doesn't look cheap. Maybe because it's still new? A video store where I am says the price of the DVD will be $21.99 (CDN) when it comes out. Some in my congregation didn't see the film, but now that we have told them about it they want to see it too! Maybe I should get one and have everyone who wants to see it chip in.

A couple of observations: The part showing the two sisters coming up to Margaret Keane's house starts at the 1 hour 20 minute mark of the film. When one of the sisters starts to read 2 Timothy 3:1-5, she only says "Do you know what it says in Timothy 3, 1 to 5?", leaving out the word "Second." When she starts reading the verse, it's not apparent where she is reading it from. It's not a Bible, but appears to be another 192-page book that she has along with the Truth book. Immediately following is the scene where Margaret and her daughter are considering what the Truth book says about honesty. Her exact words in the film, supposedly quoting from the Truth book, are: "a worshiper of Jehovah must be honest in all things." Interestingly, those words don't actually appear in the Truth book, but are in the Knowledge book (page 119, paragraph 5). Her quoted words after: "No lies speak the truth. Let the stealer steal no more" don't seem to appear in any of our publications. Okay, I guess poetic license could have a place in the film. Nevertheless, it still highlighted the turning point in Margaret Keane's life.

How about some trivia on Big Eyes? Try this link.

I don't think it impolite to bring up old topics. The Bible does it all the time. 

No trouble at all Bro. Eric...Jesus brought up  and rehashed old topics.  We are hoping that it will be programmed on a family channel in a month or two...looking forward to seeing the edited version!   :D   

Do you remember two songs that were sung during the film? They both had somewhat of a haunting, melancholy sound to them. They were both credited at the end of the film to the singer Lana Del Rey. You can hear (but not really see) them on YouTube.

The title song Big Eyes starts playing in the background at the 46 minute mark of the film, during the supermarket scene where she seems to perceive that everyone in the store has big eyes. The song continues into the next scene.

The song I Can Fly starts at the 1 hour 39 minute mark and plays during the beginnng part of the ending credits.

The entire songs are not played in the film though. Both songs are included in the soundtrack album, available on Google Play or iTunes.

• 2 weeks later...

There's few movies that I have been interested in seeing or care about at all in years... But,we loved this movie. Vince near the end even had to go to the bathroom but waited cause he said he was too into the movie! lol We both clapped and I was screaming... when the "sisters" came on the scene.

We went opening day, and it was still a very small amount of people there... mainly Amish, and Mennonite... I'm sure they thought I was crazy! lol haha But, we thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a scene where the real Margaret is sitting on a park bench. The other two people's cameo appearance, your guess is as good as mine. There were a ton of extras in the movie. Someone else on the forum may know them well enough to give it up.

Who/what were the other two cameos?

We wanted to go see it tonight with my in laws to kick off our holidays. Its already out of the theater up here. I cant believe they pulled it. I am so disappointed we won't be able to see this now in the theater.

What holidays? 

• 10 months later...

Just watched it with my wife on DVD... we both loved it.

It's nice to see Witnesses portrayed in a normal light. I loved the scenes with the sisters in it. And it's so beautiful how the truth set Margaret Keane free.... in more ways than one.

I loved the way Tim Burton told the story, and I loved the performances of Amy Adams but especially Christoph Waltz who does an amazing job at portraying a sick narcissist.

It's not a perfect film but I still count it among my favorites so it's a 10/10 personally for me.

I didn't even notice swearing.

The TRUTH certainly set her free...to express joy, instead of pain and uncertainty.^_^

BEFORE coming to know Jehovah, the happy God:

Before.gif.60cdebba894a7a028b878474dd2a8

AFTER:

After1.gif.4a441f1405c4bef11a61a59bf6f6f

After2.gif.7923d8f0829f1843440322a881e81

After3.gif.dbc92c98f4c4734e8736068861f1d

After4.gif.e0b14af0986f3d795a557762d708d

After5.gif.1a992c3665d307c3fa0a9dc9b5137

An amazingly talented artist:

56f08de837ce4_OurSisterMargaretKeane.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I think she lives in the Napa area and comes to our circuit assemblies but I haven't met her yet..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2016 at 5:25 PM, Tortuga said:

I think she lives in the Napa area and comes to our circuit assemblies but I haven't met her yet..

I recently heard that sister Keane is in hospice care...:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 3 months later...
On 1/8/2015 at 3:26 PM, Sheep said:

Maybe someone here could help out. The first post in this thread showed some of Margaret Keane's paintings that hang in the Yuba City, California, Assembly Hall. Does anyone know if she donated paintings to other Assembly Halls?

Yup. :D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Yup. :D

We had two of her paintings, not prints, hanging in the Bellevue, WA KH. They were purchased by a local brother for several hundreds of dollars, and loaned to our hall. One of his last wishes was that should we decide we no longer wanted them they should be returned to his wife. When the time for our remodel approached one of our committee was asked by a brother if he could have the paintings. With no authority, our committee member said sure and gave them away. The rightful owner, the wife died shortly thereafter and never knew. All is well that ends well. 

I wonder if the family that has the paintings knows they are originals. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.