JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

OFFICIAL: Dallas hospital isolates ebola patient

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3483 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'm not talking about just feeling crappy. I've said it several times in other posts that for almost any illness, it all starts with a sore throat. Doctors agree that when you have a sore throat then you are in a period of being contagious to others. By the time the sore throat is gone (unless it's strep or sinus's) and the other symptoms kick in, you can no longer pass your disease on.

What I am saying is you can't make that a hard and fast rule. A "sore throat" can be anything. I use an asthma inhaler at night and wake up with a sore throat almost everyday. See how hard it is to set guidelines in something like this? If it were easy, the branch would do it. Should we screen the friends for a temperature as they come into the Kingdom hall? :)

We need to trust our brothers and sisters to use their best judgement. 

But usually a sore throat doesn't last the whole day when it's from something like that or sinus's because I too often wake up with a sore throat from sinus drainage, but in a couple of hours it's gone. It's when it lasts 24 hours or more that you know you are coming down with something. Hopefully, it doesn't happen on a meeting night but still - if you woke up with a sore throat and still have it by the time the meeting starts (if it's at night) then you are probably getting sick. On Sunday mornings, it's a judgement call based on what is "normal" for you.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I know some older and younger ones who caught a cold from someone else at the hall and it turned into pnuemonia - causing the death of at least one - and it all started with a cold that someone felt wouldn't be a problem to pass on. I know as I get older, a simple cold can turn into a horrible chest cold/problem that lasts weeks or months with a horrible cough.

I am not doubting this story as a cold can lead to pneumonia especially for older ones.

How do you know for a fact that they got the cold from someone at the hall?  Yes, there may have been someone at the hall with a cold, but how could you know for sure they caught the cold from that person?  Cold germs are everywhere.  You can get it at the grocery store touching a shopping car, or a door handle somewhere, literally everywhere you can catch the cold from something.

This person at your hall who got a cold that led to pneumonia could have received the cold virus from millions of places.  I find it hard to believe that anyone can say definitely "I got the cold from that specific person"  

I am not trying to make light of this situation as it is a terrible thing.  I just know that when I get a cold, I have no clue where I got it as I could have gotten it anywhere and there is no way I could even begin to find the exact person who gave me the cold virus.

I'm not talking about just feeling crappy. I've said it several times in other posts that for almost any illness, it all starts with a sore throat. Doctors agree that when you have a sore throat then you are in a period of being contagious to others. By the time the sore throat is gone (unless it's strep or sinus's) and the other symptoms kick in, you can no longer pass your disease on.

I never have a sore throat before or during a cold or even the flu for that matter. 

It always amazes me when I see such a difference in different congregation's "personality" which of course is reflected from the bodies of elders. In my congregation. We have an unlimited account with KHCONF and the Kingdom hall tie-in number and pin are posted on the information board and all are encouraged to use it at their discretion. (I have seen visiting speakers writing the numbers down).

We have a lot of elderly shut-ins in nursing homes as well as assisted living facilities. Our average number of tie-ins per meeting is 35. 

Same at our hall, only elders/ms have the pin numbers and they only give it out to ones who will be out for a long period of time.

They also change the pin number quite frequently.  So even if you get it once, few months later if you try using it, the pin is probably different.

We have an unlimited account with KHCONF and the Kingdom hall tie-in number and pin are posted on the information board and all are encouraged to use it at their discretion. (I have seen visiting speakers writing the numbers down).

My elders did that for a time, but with the 20-slot line few, if any, of our six shut-ins could get on the line. Then they upgraded to a 50-slot line, which allowed the shut-ins to get on for a while, but within a month everyone else caught on and blocked up the lines again. Then they made an announcement to not use the line except for a serious need, and changed the code, but that only helped for a few weeks. Finally, instead of wasting money for lines that are used by those on vacation, late coming home from work, hungover on sunday morning, didn't finish a talk on time, calling in because they found the number on Facebook to listen in to a Bethel speaker, or other frivolous reasons, they dropped back to the cheapest 20-slot line and made the announcement that only those truly shut-in would be getting the code. That is, if you can go shopping on your own, you can likely manage to sit in the hall for 90 minutes twice a week.

Since that announcement a few weeks ago, our in-person attendance has doubled, and we haven't needed any substitutes for the TMS or other assignments that people used to avoid by abusing the tie-in.

Same at our hall, only elders/ms have the pin numbers and they only give it out to ones who will be out for a long period of time.

They also change the pin number quite frequently.  So even if you get it once, few months later if you try using it, the pin is probably different.

How is that the "same" as I posted? It seems opposite to me. Our elders do not "only give it out to ones who will be out for a long period of time." as I said, it is posted on the info board and if there arises a need to change the pin, it is announced and that pin number is then posted. Although, I have only seen this once when we set up our VOIP account. 

Mercifully Jehovah has supplied spiritual food 24 hours a day now. Most Kingdom Halls let you call in if your sick.

Elderly ones and those with auto-immune diseases need to be careful. So lovingly we would not go if we have a fever are coughing up a storm etc. some have allergies and will sneeze etc. Allergies aren't contagious yet maybe then sit somewhere that will not cause concern to those who don't know you have allergies and lovingly keep your hands to yourself.

No one WANTS to miss a meeting yet if we have a flu, bad cough, practical wisdom says to stay home and recover so we then can rejoin our brothers and sisters.

Sometimes we just don't know we are sick yet.

Practicing good hygiene with hand washing etc. is what Jehovah expects of us his "clean" people, physically and morally.

If we feel lousy many things can cause that, a bad day, stress, etc. So off to the meeting we go joyfully to be encouraging and receive encouragement. We then feel better for it.

We are in the last days and the rider of the Pale Horse is causing some scary illnesses. Yet we, who hope in Jehovah know there is nothing that can separate us from his love and promises.

To those who are sick please get well soon!

post-2301-14129682252_thumb.jpg

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

How is that the "same" as I posted? It seems opposite to me. Our elders do not "only give it out to ones who will be out for a long period of time." as I said, it is posted on the info board and if there arises a need to change the pin, it is announced and that pin number is then posted. Although, I have only seen this once when we set up our VOIP account. 

You quoted Starvo, so when I quoted you, I assumed his quote would show up.

When I said "same", I was referring to Starvo's quote,

Honest mistake Chuck, relax.

My elders did that for a time, but with the 20-slot line few, if any, of our six shut-ins could get on the line. Then they upgraded to a 50-slot line, which allowed the shut-ins to get on for a while, but within a month everyone else caught on and blocked up the lines again. Then they made an announcement to not use the line except for a serious need, and changed the code, but that only helped for a few weeks. Finally, instead of wasting money for lines that are used by those on vacation, late coming home from work, hungover on sunday morning, didn't finish a talk on time, calling in because they found the number on Facebook to listen in to a Bethel speaker, or other frivolous reasons, they dropped back to the cheapest 20-slot line and made the announcement that only those truly shut-in would be getting the code. That is, if you can go shopping on your own, you can likely manage to sit in the hall for 90 minutes twice a week.

Since that announcement a few weeks ago, our in-person attendance has doubled, and we haven't needed any substitutes for the TMS or other assignments that people used to avoid by abusing the tie-in.

Whatever works for your congregation, your elders know best. We have not experienced any of those issues. Our "in-person" attendance is as high or higher then it's ever been. It's getting hard to find a parking place on either meeting day/night! :)

Government Health Services website says: Cold and flu viruses can be passed through tiny droplets of mucus that are sneezed or coughed out into the air by an infected person, and breathed in by another person. If an infected person sneezes into their hand, and then touches an object (such as a doorknob, or railing on a train) the virus can pass from the object to the next person who touches it. By washing your hands, you will be getting rid of any viruses you've picked up on them.

Sitting in the back room can still pass it to someone else so we really need to think about others health needs it is scriptural to not want to spread sickness and brothers and sisters young and old would appreciate consideration no matter what any of us decide. I have been guilty of going to the hall knowing I was coming down with something and then missed the next and found out that many were then missing afterwards, I am sure it had to do with me touching something. Joh 15:13 No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends.

Me neither. In fact, i have never had a sore throat. Believe it or not.

Wow, talk about a fortunate few! I always get a sore throat first, bodies first warning system!

I am not doubting this story as a cold can lead to pneumonia especially for older ones.

How do you know for a fact that they got the cold from someone at the hall?  Yes, there may have been someone at the hall with a cold, but how could you know for sure they caught the cold from that person?  Cold germs are everywhere.  You can get it at the grocery store touching a shopping car, or a door handle somewhere, literally everywhere you can catch the cold from something.

This person at your hall who got a cold that led to pneumonia could have received the cold virus from millions of places.  I find it hard to believe that anyone can say definitely "I got the cold from that specific person"  

I am not trying to make light of this situation as it is a terrible thing.  I just know that when I get a cold, I have no clue where I got it as I could have gotten it anywhere and there is no way I could even begin to find the exact person who gave me the cold virus.

This older one never got out on her own. Someone else did her shopping for her (from the hall) and she was also picked up and taken to meetings by someone else from the hall, her only contacts were friends from the Hall.

2nd person has ebola in Texas. A healthcare worker who assisted with care on Mr. Duncan now is being tested a second time for Ebola with a low grade fever. I hope that the hospital was proactive in isolating these workers who assisted on him since then so that it has not spread further. Now what is interesting to me is how that one news report on this 2nd person having it, the hospital made a statement that they knew they would probably have another case...have they not been telling everyone that there is no concern and that it was controlled at this point? Wow...