JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3429 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

They are saying this is a possible scenario in the future : http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/index.html?hpt=he_c2

So Far, as of 10/04/2014 these were the statistics :

Guinea = 1157 cases, 710 deaths

Sierra Leone = 2304 cases, 622 deaths

Liberia = 3696 cases, 1998 cases

Senegal = 1 case

Democratic Republic of Congo = 70 cases, 42 deaths

And now 1 case in the US, who is currently on a respirator and in critical condition or worse...Sadly, they do not know if he will live...

That would be a total of 7,249 cases, 3,380 deaths = only 3,869 more survivors than victims - isn't that close to a 50/50% chance of living?! They are saying it has a mortality rate of 70% and sometimes 90%....

So my question is to the brothers and sisters living in Africa or Texas - how are things in your area? :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I do not know how put the link to this news item, but from one of our top stories here in London and UK, one newspaper, the Irish Times, informs that Ebola could be in France and the UK within weeks :-(

Well, it's in Spain Now! Did not see that one coming :blink:  http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/06/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Wow, in just two days the tracker I use here : http://healthmap.org/ebola/#timeline : Says that there have been on estimate, over 300 new cases the last 2-3 days, and 102 new deaths....That's an avg of 100-150 new cases a day & 34-51 deaths a day......

Satan is really trying to gather as many as he can, but he doesn't realize he's defeating his own purpose! The more people he kills, the more people will have the hope of a resurrection.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Just to keep this topic in perspective.

In the US - over 33,500 people DIED from automobile accidents EVERY year. Currently there are 2 reported cases of Ebola and 0 deaths.

In Guniea - just LAST YEAR -  there were 1,956 AUTO related deaths (incredible right??) and to date 710 from Ebola.

Spain last year - 1900 auto deaths vs. 1 reported case of Ebola

Yes, it is terrible to read of deaths, but when was the last time you heard some one running saying, "The sky is falling as 2,000 people DIED in Guinea from auto deaths"? Sadly, I didn't even know there were that many deaths due to this - until I wanted to get some perspective. It is worse if you looking at the smoking related deaths.   :eek:

This is tragic, but it is certainly not an :omg: moment - yet.

Meanwhile - we keep praying for God's Kingdom to come and save us from the things that are really killing people - #1 greed (which causes deaths from pollution, smoking, people in a hurry while driving, lack of safety standards, oil fraking, etc.). #2 ignorance - who knows what we are doing every day that is killing us all off and making us sick.

Drive safe, eat right and wash your hands regularly and for the most part - you should be OK - until the Kingdom does come and fixes these things.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have to add a very important precaution we should take as to not infecting a person at the hall or in a car group with flu germs..Always use a hanky to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze around others..if for some reason you have to be with the friends..I like the way the Insight brings out that if you have a contagious illness it's best to not expose others to it..Even coughing into your elbow releases some germs into the air..many germs can live for hours!

Quarantine. According to the Law, a person who had or was suspected of having a communicable disease was quarantined, that is, kept away from others or isolated for a time.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

We now have a RELATIVE of Ebola in Uganda. Marburg!!!! The end is surely near.

MINISTRY OF HEALTH

PRESS STATEMENT

5th October 2014

The Ministry of Health would like to inform the general public that there is a confirmed case of Marburg in the country.

This initial case follows laboratory tests done at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) on September 30th 2014 which confirmed that one person, a health worker, had died of the viral hemorrhagic fever.

The index case is a 30-year-old male Radiographer, who originally was working in Mpigi Health Centre IV, Mpigi Town Council but had been recruited by Mengo Hospital two month ago as a Radiographer. He started feeling unwell on September 17th while at Mengo Hospital and travelled back to Mpigi HCIV on September 18th to seek treatment since he felt more comfortable with a facility that he had worked with for a long time.

He was treated at Mpigi Health Center IV but when his condition worsened, he was transferred back to Mengo Hospital where he was admitted on September 23rd. He presented with Headache, Epistaxis, abdominal pain, vomiting blood and diarrhea. His condition deteriorated on September 27th and a Viral Haemorraghic fever was suspected. Blood samples were removed for further analysis on September 28th; unfortunately he died on the same day. His body was taken to Munkunyu 1 Village, Munkunyu Sub-county, Kasese district for burial.

Preliminary reports also show that his brother, one of the contacts so far listed has developed signs. He has been quarantined and isolated for further monitoring. Samples have been taken from him and are being tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute. The public will be informed of his status. Altogether 80 contacts have been listed from Mengo, Mpigi and Kasese for follow up.

Marburg Viral Haemorraghic fever is a fatal illness caused by the Marburg virus which belongs to the filoviridae family together with the Ebola virus. The incubation period ranges from 2 to 21 days while the Case fatality rates vary from 24% to 88%. Fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are considered to be the natural hosts of Marburg virus. The Marburg virus is transmitted to people from the fruit bats and spreads among humans through human-to-human transmission by

direct contact with wounds and body fluids like blood, saliva, vomitus, stool and urine of an infected person.

A person suffering from Marburg presents with sudden onset of high fever with any of the following;

1. Headache

2. Vomiting blood

3. Joint and muscle pains

4. Bleeding through the body openings, i.e. eyes, nose, gums, ears, anus and the skin.

There is no specific antiviral treatment or vaccine available; patients are usually given supportive treatment.

The Ministry of Health is undertaking the following measures to control the spread of the disease;

• Yesterday, a team of epidemiologists and surveillance officers were sent to Mpigi Health Center IV, Mengo Hospital and to Kasese district to investigate the case and list all people who got into contact with the dead.

• So far, a total of 80 people who got into contact with the initial confirmed case have been identified and isolated as a precautionary measure and for follow up for any signs and symptoms within the 21 days incubation period. These include 38 health workers from Mengo Hospital, including his brother and 22 health workers from Mpigi Health Center IV and 20 people from Kasese district. They are currently being monitored by a team of epidemiologists from the Ministry of Health.

• Arrangements have been put in place to transport all suspect cases to the National Isolation Facility in Entebbe should they occur. The facility is already stocked with the necessary infection control materials and other supplies to handle any incoming patients.

• Arrangements have also been made at Mengo Hospital to isolate any suspect with symptoms. Health workers have been asked to effect all infection control measures.

• Preparations are underway to train all health workers at Mengo Hospital and Mpigi Health Center IV on infection control starting tomorrow 6/10/2014 at 9.00am

• Government working with partners and specifically Medicens San Frontiers (MSF) are in the process of revamping the isolation facility at Mulago National Referral Hospital under the leadership of Kampala Capital City Authority in readiness and the facility will be ready in three days time.

• MSF is also mobilizing additional resources to assist with infection control and case management at all the isolation facilities that have been set up.

• The World Health Organization (WHO) is providing technical assistance and logistical support (PPE’s) to all the affected facilities.

• In Kasese, a team has been dispatched to work with the district official and Kagando Hospital to trace for any other suspects.

• Personal Protective Equipments (PPE’s) and other supplies have been mobilized and sent to Mengo and Mpigi health center IV and Kagando HCIV.

• National Medical Stores will supply additional infection control materials to Mengo Hospital and Mpigi HCIV by tomorrow morning.

The Ministry of Health however informs the general Public that Mengo Hospital is safe and all measures have been taken to ensure that there is no further spread of infection. Patients are encouraged to continue to receive services from there.

Ministry of Health urges the general public to observe the following protective measures;

• Report any suspected patient to a nearby health unit

• Avoid direct contact with body fluids of a person presenting with bleeding tendencies or symptoms of Marburg.

The Ministry of Health once again calls upon the public to remain calm and be on alert amidst this epidemic. All suspect cases can be reported on the Ministry hotline on +256750996034.

Hon. Elioda Tumwesigye

Minister of State for General Duties &

Holding the Portfolio of Minister for Health

They are saying this is a possible scenario in the future : http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/index.html?hpt=he_c2

So Far, as of 10/04/2014 these were the statistics :

Guinea = 1157 cases, 710 deaths

Sierra Leone = 2304 cases, 622 deaths

Liberia = 3696 cases, 1998 cases

Senegal = 1 case

Democratic Republic of Congo = 70 cases, 42 deaths

And now 1 case in the US, who is currently on a respirator and in critical condition or worse...Sadly, they do not know if he will live...

That would be a total of 7,249 cases, 3,380 deaths = only 3,869 more survivors than victims - isn't that close to a 50/50% chance of living?! They are saying it has a mortality rate of 70% and sometimes 90%....

So my question is to the brothers and sisters living in Africa or Texas - how are things in your area? :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

I am in Texas near Dallas and honestly, I do not worry about it.  There is a sister I know who is currently refusing to shake hands or hug anyone due to the fact that, and I quote her "You may have Ebola"

There really is not much any of us can do.  We have to live our lives.  We can't shut ourselves in our home and lock the doors and not leave.  

I know the amount of deaths in Africa seem very high, but consider the medical situation in some of those countries, it's probably not as good as in the US.  Also, the reason so many are getting it in those countries is due to poor sanitation systems and poor burial practices.

So no, I am not going crazy or worrying about this.  

As Jerry brought out, we all have a better chance of being killed in a car accident then from Ebola.  I think this year alone in TX, there have been over 1000 dead from car accidents, and only one person with Ebola in Texas.  

I completely understand what you and Jerry are saying, and I agree we have to remain level headed.

The reason I track things like this is so I can pray for the bros/sis affected in such areas, to let others know what's going on in other locations where they might know someone, and because my immune system is so weak that for 2 years I had to wear a mask to the conventions because I was so sickly that beforehand  had got pneumonia from going barefoot in 70-80 degree weather and had just got over it, plus I was passing kidney stones -  so stuff like this is hazardous for me (lol.)

I try NOT to become overly worried - don't spend the whole day tracking this - but I am a news bug so I'll try and behave. :lol:  :D  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by cricket246

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-30/ebola-virus-explainer/5635028

How it spreads:

ebola-spread-illustration-custom-700-dat

how-infectious-is-ebola-data.png

Humans can catch the virus from animals through close contact with infected animals' blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids.

The virus is thought to reside within the region's fruit bat population, with the bats carriers of Ebola, but unaffected by it.

The bushmeat trade (the catching and eating of wild animals, including primates such as gorillas and chimpanzees), is thought to play a role in outbreaks of the disease.

While cooking infected meat kills the virus, handling of the meat beforehand can cause infection.

Once in the human population, the virus continues spreading through direct contact with blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids.

The World Health Organisation has specifically noted traditional healing and burial practices in rural regions as a factor in the spread of the disease.

The US Centres for Disease Control says people can only catch Ebola by: coming into direct contact with the blood or body fluids of a person who is sick or has died from Ebola; touching contaminated objects; or touching or eating infected animals.

It notes Ebola does not spread through the air or through water.

This article highlights how ignorance and superstition as well as war has created "the perfect storm" for this vius to spread.  This is what the fruitage of Satan's world produces.  It is exactly how the Bible describes the ride of the 4 horsemen in Revelation chpt 6.

"The scientist who first identified Ebola in 1976 gives direct and simple advice on how to contain this latest outbreak:

"Soap, gloves, isolating patients, not reusing needles and quarantining the contacts of those who are ill - in theory it should be very easy to contain Ebola," Dr Peter Piot told the BBC.

In practice, this is a much tougher proposition. The main outbreak has emerged in war ravaged West Africa, where much of the health care infrastructure has been totally destroyed.

Poverty has combined with fear, ignorance and superstition, particularly in remote communities, where distrust of government is understandably high, and belief in witchcraft and sorcery is interwoven into everyday life."

The US Centres for Disease Control says people can only catch Ebola by: coming into direct contact with the blood or body fluids of a person who is sick or has died from Ebola; touching contaminated objects; or touching or eating infected animals.

It notes Ebola does not spread through the air or through water.

So, just like HIV?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

We now have a health care worker with a case of Ebola contracted in the US. The worker was in direct contact with patient who died in Texas. According to the cdc it was a breech in personal protective protocols. Hopefully they can figure out how that happened.

So, just like HIV?

Not exactly.  Agree that Ebola might be relatively hard to catch and will add that it's probably more likely for a person to be infected with (let's say) HIV than it is to contract Ebola. However, it stands to reason that while it might take a person several years to become infected with HIV, Ebola can destroy an entire city in a matter of weeks.

We now have a health care worker with a case of Ebola contracted in the US. The worker was in direct contact with patient who died in Texas. According to the cdc it was a breech in personal protective protocols. Hopefully they can figure out how that happened.

According to an AP report: "The hospital worker, a woman who was not identified by officials, wore protective gear while treating the Liberian patient, and she has been unable to point to how the breach might have occurred, said Dr. Tom Frieden, head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."  Another person who was in close contact with the hospital worker has also been placed in isolation.  

Also, there are differing opinions by scientists whether or not it can become airborne.

Edited by Mei

Boston hospital evacuated http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/man-with-ebola-like-symptoms-isolated-at-braintree-hospital/

With travel to different countries so easy, this virus will spread and will be much harder to deal with as symptoms can go unnoticed.

Listening to people you hear the strain, blame game and fear.

I hope the Kingdom Comes Soon!

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

In just 7 days there have been at least 1,220 new cases and 696 of those resulted in death...That means only 524 survived...The survival rate seems to be lessening in countries like Liberia and Sierra Leone...Even in the U.S. the first patient died even though we "supposedly" have a better means of caring for ebola patients...

I just pray this doesn't affect Jehovah's people as the blood issue would most likely come into play....

I don't really thing the blood issue will come up as by the time you're hemorrhaging from every orifice you're too far gone to be saved from what I understand. The primary treatment I believe is to try to keep the patient hydrated and topped off on electrolytes while trying stop the diarrhea and vomiting. 

That's what I've heard.. What scares me though is that with the last patient they tried a blood transfusion from an Ebola survivor to the sick patient, saying that there were possibly antibodies that could help save them..... :blink: Besides our saying no to transfusions - what if those who says yes  get a different strain of ebola from it?!

Edited by cricket246

The sad fact is, is that it could only take a couple of people to really get the ball rolling with an Ebola outbreak anywhere in the world! Say you have a teacher with it, who is in contact with 30 kids a day when they start showing symptoms and those kids are in contact with other kids during recess and class changes and then they all go home to their families, churches and stores and it could go from not such a bad problem to really ridiculous in no time flat - I think that is the big worry here. Murphy's Law is always lurking around every corner.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I am just wondering - a man is sick with it and sent home. He has a family and is around them - none turn up sick???

http://kfor.com/2014/10/01/officials-u-s-ebola-patient-came-in-contact-with-children-while-contagious/

Health officials say they have identified between 12 and 18 people that a patient with Ebola may have come in contact with while he was contagious in Texas.

Fortunately, none of those people have shown symptoms of Ebola

A nurse contracts it from him - goes home and is around her family - none of them get it???

Just how contagious is it - if all the people these people have been around - do NOT have it. Some people make it sound like the Zombie apocalypse or something, but it sure doesn't seem that way, eh?

So, how contagious is it - and can it be stopped - or do we have to wait until everyone is infected and sort out the zombies later???

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

Take, for example, measles. The virus is one of the most contagious diseases known to man. It's R0 sits around 18. That means each person with the measles spreads it to 18 people, on average, when nobody is vaccinated. (When everyone is vaccinated, the R0 drops to essentially zero for measles).

At the other end of the spectrum are viruses like HIV and hepatitis C. Their R0s tend to fall somewhere between 2 and 4. They're still big problems, but they spread much more slowly than the measles.

And that brings us back to Ebola. Despite its nasty reputation, the virus's R0 really isn't that impressive. It typically sits around 1.5 to 2.0.

Even in the current epidemic in West Africa, where the virus has been out of control, each person who has gotten sick has spread Ebola to only about two others, on average.

Now at this point, you're probably thinking, "OK. But an R0 of 2 is nothing to brush off." You're right. R0 of 2 means one person infects two people, who then infect four people, then eight, 16, 32 — the numbers go up fast.

But that isn't likely to happen in a place with a good public health system, like the U.S. Why? Because people with Ebola aren't contagious until they show symptoms.

So to stop the chain of transmission, all health workers in Texas have to do is get the people possibly infected by the sick man into isolation before these people show signs of Ebola.

Then R0 drops to zero. And Texas is free of Ebola.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....