JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3432 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The reason for Ebola spreading so rapidly isn't because it's as easy to get as the media (but conspicuously, never doctors) claim it is, it's spreading because those in West African countries are resistant to seek treatment at all, spread fear-mongering anti-government rumors, and carry on with their funeral rituals regardless of the fact that they will almost certainly get Ebola.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28529065 (Partial BBC Radio interview.)

They have also been told to refrain from eating the uncooked, bush meat that they continue to eat which is the cause of the virus in the first place. So glad Jehovah has asked us to refrain from blood causing us to be sure our food is properly prepared. The people there also have less knowledge of hygiene processes and this is why the Society has taken steps to educate them. But it is very easy to get, they would not be sterilizing in such extreme, expensive measures if it was not. There is nothing we can do about this scenario we have been warned that things like this would occur in the final part of the days. We have to continue forward and do better with cleanliness right now and really pray for our brothers and sisters around the world to stay safe and strong.

I personally don't want to overthink this but the faithful and discreet slave have always advised us to have an emergency pack for natural disasters,etc. . I think having a small supply of water, food, flashlights,etc. for emergency could come in handy regardless of what emergency situation. Ice storm or ebola epidemic, either way you don't want to go overboard, but it never hurts to be a little prepared. :D  :wub:

Martial law could be a reality in some areas, especially where I am at...they enacted martial law here a couple of years ago over an ice storm that literally knocked power out for days...I can only imagine how crazy things would get here....People have already been stocking up at Walmart with multiple carts at checkout and I wonder if it's the ebola that has lead to this.....

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

On the news it stated that the virus is EXTREMELY easy to get with just skin contact of a person with it can give it to you...that is different than what they originally said. That was ABC News tonight.

I did a search on the ABC news site for both "extremely easy" and "skin contact" and wasn't able to find that story - which as you say would be HUGE!. Can you post a link to it please?

Edit: and thanks for posting a link to the story about West Africa. it helped get the context. Yes, that is a lot of lives and very sad. We definitely need the kingdom.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Here is one, notice they talk about how these are trained professionals, practiced procedures, and still got this. If it is alive on the surface of your skin it can be alive on surfaces, that is why they are bleaching their clothing, vehicles, homes, and dogs...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/ebola-cdcs-plans-stop-spread-virus-us-26153936

So, if you get the virus on your skin by a drop of bodily fluid from an infected person (that has the virus in it) and you have a cut, it MAY get in. Or if you wipe your eye or mouth where that bodily fluid from the infected person is at, you MAY get it. Isn't that still from bodily fluid (the drop of Ebola ) and not just skin to skin contact?

And I didn't notice the term "EXTREMELY easy" either, was that from another clip?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

They are confused over the possibility that it could ever mutate into being airborne at all. If it could, theoretically, that sort of mutation would occur over the course of many months or years, not the few weeks since the first US patient was admitted to the hospital.

It could also be that CDC is confused and/or concerned about a known 2012 experimental study conducted by Canadian scientists that showed that the virus could be transmitted by air between species. According to those scientists, it has something to do with one species inhaling large aerosol droplets (that can stay in the air) produced from the respiratory tracts of the other infected species. (For good reason the CDC may not want to announce this deadly evidence.) Based on that experiment and just recently, Canadian scientists came up with an experimental (and believed to be a very promising) drug (ZMapp) that was able to save Monkeys suffering from the advance stage of the virus.  ZMapp is just now being tested and used in West Africa. 

Edited: Even though an experimental drug is out, these scientists continue to assert more work needs to be done in determing whether there are other means by which the virus might be transmitted, aside from those already known. 

Edited by Mei

According to these scientists, it has something to do with one species inhaling large aerosol droplets (that can stay in the air) produced from the respiratory tracts of the other infected species.

That is not "airborne", that's still bodily fluids, albeit traveling through the air at a high speed.

The medical definition of airborne doesn't mean someone sneezing on your face, it means that the virus can remain viable in a suspended cloud of small dried droplets. According to the WHO, this "has not been observed during extensive studies of the Ebola virus over several decades."

So far, the only people claiming otherwise are conspiracy theorists intentionally and maliciously misquoting a 2012 study that states that the virus may also have been transmitted by aerosol (sneezing, etc), or by droplets thrown into a cage while washing the floor.

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html

Edit: Added link

Edited by Stavro

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/06-october-2014/en/

I find this interesting that the CDC and WHO are in disagreement.... :wacko:

"The Ebola virus can also be transmitted indirectly, by contact with previously contaminated surfaces and objects. The risk of transmission from these surfaces is low and can be reduced even further by appropriate cleaning and disinfection procedures."

"Theoretically, wet and bigger droplets from a heavily infected individual, who has respiratory symptoms caused by other conditions or who vomits violently, could transmit the virus – over a short distance – to another nearby person." "This could happen when virus-laden heavy droplets are directly propelled, by coughing or sneezing (which does not mean airborne transmission) onto the mucus membranes or skin with cuts or abrasions of another person."

I guess this is why they wanted to get all of the contaminate items out of the people's houses? That makes more sense.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

It is spread the same way you spread a cold and I believe that it has already been stated on here you can expect to get a couple colds a year. The symptoms are the same as cold or flu and makes it hard to detect thus the scenario in Texas happened causing broad quarantines. Healthcare workers are getting this while suited up and taking precautions. They quarantined the entire apartment complex in each instance. They are quarantining, and in some instances putting down the pets of these people who have been around these people. They are quarantining and decontaminating entire vehicles and areas where they have possibly been. There are only a few hospitals in the US that are actually set up for the quarantine process that is needed right now, they are going through training all over the country on procedures right now and setting up special rooms for them. It survives on the body for days after the person dies and the custom of touching the bodies at the funerals in Africa has caused it to spread so badly...touching the skin...then they touch their eyes or nose from crying...

If it is alive for hours on surfaces it is easily spread and that is what was stated on the news tonight that I cannot find the actual clip of but I will keep trying. Here is a breakdown of the facts on transmission.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-10/how-you-can-and-cannot-get-ebola/5803250

One of the big ways that caught my interest is that it is transmitted through sweat...sweat on an arm or hand that touches a pen or counter can be there for half a day/few hours, especially since one of the primary symptoms is high fever...the cleaning agent needs to be hospital grade, or bleach. The treatments they are using is blood transfusions from a survivor.

This kind of thing (in case you can't tell, kinda grosses me out) does that mean I'm a germaphobe? : (

So far, the only people claiming otherwise are conspiracy theorists intentionally and maliciously misquoting a 2012 study that states that the virus may also have been transmitted by aerosol (sneezing, etc), or by droplets thrown into a cage while washing the floor.

Wow!  A bit surprised and with all due respect, I understand well that these type transmissions aren't always the best form of communication, but are you insinuating that I might be maliciously misquoting here?  If that is the case, that is an erroneous accusation.  It appears as though I am being attacked.  I thought this was merely an innocent discussion on the Ebola virus.  If my comments are not welcomed, please so advise and I will leave the forum graciously.       

Edited by Mei

Sister Mei, I don't think the comment was meant that way, I think that this is concerning to people and we are not sure what is really happening or what it really entails maybe we would rather deny it but we also want to know. It seems those in authority positions in the world would rather lie to us while they figure it out just to stop people from panicking. Your thoughts and research is appreciated I hope they hurry up with that research.

Sister Mei, I don't think the comment was meant that way, I think that this is concerning to people and we are not sure what is really happening or what it really entails maybe we would rather deny it but we also want to know. It seems those in authority positions in the world would rather lie to us while they figure it out just to stop people from panicking. Your thoughts and research is appreciated I hope they hurry up with that research.

Thank you for the kind words, Trina. 

For something so easily spread, I am glad to hear that out of the dozens of healthcare workers treating this patient only 1 has contracted it. And out of all the family members and dozens of people these 2 have been around (here in the US) NO ONE ealse has contracted.

That's good news indeed. It seems no need to panic - as none of these have it.

Soon .....

For something so easily spread, I am glad to hear that out of the dozens of healthcare workers treating this patient only 1 has contracted it. And out of all the family members and dozens of people these 2 have been around (here in the US) NO ONE ealse has contracted.

That's good news indeed. It seems no need to panic - as none of these have it.

Well now, the news is reporting this morning that a SECOND nurse who treated the man in Texas has Ebola......

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

:o

I saw that this morning - a second one out of almost 100 healthcare workers who have regularly interacted with that first patient.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I saw that this morning - a second one out of almost 100 healthcare workers who have regularly interacted with that first patient.

Yes, it is a low ratio fortunately! But, I think the point is, these healthcare workers were taking extreme measures to avoid the infection, So even with this kind of caution two (so far) were still infected. What about the general population who does not go around in Hazmat suits? 

Wow!  A bit surprised and with all due respect, I understand well that these type transmissions aren't always the best form of communication, but are you insinuating that I might be maliciously misquoting here?  If that is the case, that is an erroneous accusation.  It appears as though I am being attacked.  I thought this was merely an innocent discussion on the Ebola virus.  If my comments are not welcomed, please so advise and I will leave the forum graciously.       

I'm saying that the conspiracy theorists are maliciously misquoting the study.

The study itself says "The design and size of the animal cubicle did not allow to distinguish whether the transmission was by aerosol, small or large droplets in the air, or droplets created during floor cleaning which landed inside the NHP cages (fomites)."

This does not indicate "proof" that Ebola has mutated into becoming airborne, regardless of what conspiracy theorists keep repeating.

According to the real scientists, who followed up on the earlier 2012 study involving pigs and monkeys:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/airborne-transmission-ebola-unlikely-monkey-study-shows

"Monkeys do not pass Ebola to one another through the air, researchers report. The result confirms observations of human outbreaks: Infection with the deadly virus requires contact with bodily fluids."

"Even if pigs can transmit the virus by air, they may be unique in the ability. The new study, published July 25 in Scientific Reports by Kobinger and a different group of collaborators, found no evidence that sick macaques could give the virus to healthy monkeys through airborne particles."

"The researchers placed two rhesus macaques infected with Zaire ebolavirus in cages near two uninfected cynomolgus macaques. The animals couldn’t touch, but no special shielding protected the uninfected monkeys. The infected monkeys died after six days. Meanwhile, the cynomolgus macaques remained free of Ebola for the entire 28 days of the experiment, well beyond the six to 16 days it takes for symptoms to appear after catching Ebola."

There's a lot of misinformation about Ebola floating around right now, and we can't believe everything we hear. Case in point, even major newspapers have repeated, as fact, the obviously fake "Ebola zombie" story.

Edited by Stavro

According to the real scientists, who followed up on the earlier 2012 study involving pigs and birds:

Another correction here. The initial study was performed with pigs and monkeys, but the newspaper site that led me to the study wrongly claimed it was pigs and birds.

Just another reason we should double-check any media reports we read, instead of blindly accepting their claims as fact.

Sorry but when a person is critical they have a small team of round the clock workers, such as cardiac unit has a couple assigned nurses and a single doctor usually handling one patient the nurses consist of 2 nurses staying long hours and being released by the other nurse on the their shift. They do not allow a lot of nurses in the room with them. It is very controlled and they were also quarantined while working on Mr. Duncan. Usually they have a meeting prior to accepting a patient or setting up treatment plans for a patient and they create a plan, I'm sure in this instance they contacted the doctors who treated the surviving patients in the US prior.

It is not like when normal people go to the emergency room or are admitted for other reasons.

Because of this it proves it is easy to get, if you can take such huge precautions and still get it, it is not hard to get.

When you speak of his contacts, it does not mean that they touched anything they could have been just in the same area. Just like when you contract a cold some will get it and then others won't right away but eventually they get a cold every year. I have worked in the medical field all of my life, I can see this being ugly and it bothers me that some think it is hard to get, it is extremely easy to get for such a deadly disease.

A second case of Ebola among the nearly 100 doctors, nurses and assistants who helped treat Mr. Duncan for 10 days at Presbyterian was not unexpected. For days, federal health officials have warned that, in addition to a nurse who was confirmed to have Ebola on Sunday, other cases were likely.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us/ebola-outbreak-texas.html?referrer=

Soon .....

Sorry but the statement of "team" does not mean they were hands on or in the room, the medical team includes insurance financial team, getting advice from a doctor or nurse is included in a "team" the actual people that have contact with him is like I said a few at the most. The lab would also need to be careful in diagnosing this patient. The media again is trying to downplay the situation...

In this case of highly contagious patient care they will have a hands on group who will have assistants who help them dress and undress out of the barriers they wear. They are trying to put it in people's minds that hundreds have been in one on one contact actually touching him and only this many so far have gotten it, so don't panic public, don't take your kids out of school yet...

From your article: “While Dallas is anxious about this, and with this news this morning, the anxiety level goes up a level, we are not fearful,” Mayor Mike Rawlings said.

Local and hospital officials, while attempting to reassure residents and hospital workers to remain calm, said they were preparing for the possibility of other medical workers testing positive.