JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Soup, wonderful soup

Hi Cheryl I'm on FitnessPal! I love that site. I like the way it tells you if you keep eating this way___ you will lose by ____ I would like to lose thirty-five poundies. I'm good at maintaining weight loss but not so good at losing. Uhm so why aren't you suppose to eat lettuce? I know it's less nutrional than other lettuces but I love to toss it in with other lettuces and create a filling bounitful salad that looks BIG but has few calories. Now I don't really like tacos whether it's the hard ones that crunch or the doughy ones not too fond of them. Soup is wonderful for weight loss!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Shali I believe your talking about "Miso Soup or broth" they serve at Hibachi style restaurants?

I've never used this recipe but it sounds a lot like the one they serve at a restaurant near here :

Ready in 10 minutes! Remember, you don't want to boil the miso paste -- add it at the end with the heat off to avoid a gritty texture.

Ingredients:

8 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons instant dashi granules
1/4 cup miso paste
1 tablespoon dried seaweed (for miso soup), soaked in water
1/2 cup cubed tofu
2 tablespoons chopped green onion

Directions:

1. Pour the water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the instant dashi and whisk to dissolve. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the tofu. Drain the seaweed and add the seaweed to the pot. Simmer for 2 minutes.

2. In the meatime, Spoon the miso paste into a bowl. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the hot dashi broth into a bowl and whisk with chopsticks or a whisk to mix and melt the miso paste so that it becomes a smooth mixture.

3. Turn the heat off, add the miso paste to the pot and stir well. Taste the soup - if it needs more flavor, whisk in another tablespoon or two of miso paste. Top with green onions and serve immediately.

(I usually get mine without the tofu. ^_^)

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Hi Cheryl I'm on FitnessPal! I love that site. I like the way it tells you if you keep eating this way___ you will lose by ____ I would like to lose thirty-five poundies. I'm good at maintaining weight loss but not so good at losing. Uhm so why aren't you suppose to eat lettuce? I know it's less nutrional than other lettuces but I love to toss it in with other lettuces and create a filling bounitful salad that looks BIG but has few calories. Now I don't really like tacos whether it's the hard ones that crunch or the doughy ones not too fond of them. Soup is wonderful for weight loss!

I'm also on Fitness Pal, love it too. I've lost 20+ and want to lose more so soup is my answer, that and taco omelet! Fav's right now. Lettuce, mainly iceburg, makes me groan in pain, so bad that I have to lay in a ball and NOT move for a day. Most of my life I've loved eating raw veg, but I think my gut is finally saying "no more" so I, like you, love soup. I get all in my veg only slightly cooked. 

I'm not really fond of tacos because of the shells but taco soup is a favorite here as well as taco omelet. And I make a shell-less burrito! I make dehydrated refried beans/little bit of taco meat/taco flavored rice or barley/cheese and topped with salsa/sour cream/hot sauce. Oh so good. Can take it to work with me at 4am and be good to go till 2 pm!  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Shali I believe your talking about "Miso Soup or broth" they serve at Hibachi style restaurants?

I've never used this recipe but it sounds a lot like the one they serve at a restaurant near here :

Ready in 10 minutes! Remember, you don't want to boil the miso paste -- add it at the end with the heat off to avoid a gritty texture.

Ingredients:

8 cups water

1 1/2 teaspoons instant dashi granules

1/4 cup miso paste

1 tablespoon dried seaweed (for miso soup), soaked in water

1/2 cup cubed tofu

2 tablespoons chopped green onion

Directions:

1. Pour the water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the instant dashi and whisk to dissolve. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the tofu. Drain the seaweed and add the seaweed to the pot. Simmer for 2 minutes.

2. In the meatime, Spoon the miso paste into a bowl. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the hot dashi broth into a bowl and whisk with chopsticks or a whisk to mix and melt the miso paste so that it becomes a smooth mixture.

3. Turn the heat off, add the miso paste to the pot and stir well. Taste the soup - if it needs more flavor, whisk in another tablespoon or two of miso paste. Top with green onions and serve immediately.

(I usually get mine without the tofu. ^_^)

Thanks Natasha!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Sitting here enjoying delicious soup #4 with a small croissant. Very delicious and so very filling. I made it just last night. I added the last of the black beans and ground turkey. I added garlic crushed tomatoes and and carrots which the recipe does not call for but we can all use some extra lycopene, am very happy! My Mother and I just came back from Service. I brought a bowl for her when I picked her up this morning so she is enjoying her soup as well, as we think about the day. We met a man that is inactive and got his information. Nice spiritual food, nice belly food. Some days in this old system are not so bad after all thank you Jehovah!    

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

• 3 years later...

Can't believe I posted this topic so long ago. And I still feel the same way about soup only I now have more diet restrictions. That said here's the latest recipe I made today. I knew it'd be good but, oh my,  it's REALLY good. So glad I stumbled onto it.

https://thecozycook.com/crock-pot-creamy-chicken-stew/

I omitted the potato and green beans. Added peas and lots of quartered crimini mushroom. Then I used 1/2 and 1/2, no milk. And at the end added a TBS of Knorr roasted chicken paste. The meat was left over smoked garlic pork from last weekend. Oh my goodness....oh my goodness. I wish everyone could come over and have a bowl.

5a84c1a2ef671_Stew(861x1531).thumb.jpg.078fe72ab3503701bd03ad19e6e07e42.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34