JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's for dinner tonight?

Funny, when the three kids were growing up there was an ongoing evolution of dishes. Now, I'm stuck. Can't figure what I feel like making, have trouble coming up with more variety and even remembering what I used to make.

Hubby would be happy for life if meals were a slab of meat, pile of potatoes, with a salad or veggie.

So, I'll live vicariously thru some posts here and hopefully trip some creativity for me too. I don't have an adventurous palette but I can always modify ingredients I don't eat.

Well, go ahead......what's for dinner tonight for you? :chef:

Last night I made a lamb pie with North African flavours.

6 sheets filo pastry

1-2 tblsp olive oil

2 Red onions chopped

500g Diced lamb

150g dried apricots chopped roughly

50g pine nuts

150ml greek style yogurt

2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tsp ground coriander

50g butter

mint chopped

parsley chopped

salt and pepper

1. Saute onions in olive oil and spices 5-7mins until just soft

add the lamb and continue until it is browned

Add the chopped apricots, pine nuts, yogurt and some of the herbs and mix well.

Pour into a shallow pie dish and allow to cool.

2. Thaw filo pastry about 20 mins before you need it.

melt the butter and add some of the chopped herbs

Open the pastry and cut across the sheets to make squares.

Brush a sheet with the herb butter and 'scrunch' it up and put it on top of the pie.

Continue with each sheet of pastry in similar fashion to cover the pie.

3 Bake at about 160deg for 25mins.  Just before you take it out, brush with some butter and sprinkle some more herbs on top, and leave for about 3 mins to 'set' the herbs.

Serve with veg of choice  (I served with roasted butternut squash and baby carrots)

We loved it (above quantites would serve 4)

Tonight it is simple pasta with bolognese sauce - quick and easy before the meeting.

Edited by bohemian

Chris, you're adventurous. You cook such different things. I really like your recipes and save them in my cookbook. I just learned how good lamb is so I would love this recipe.

Lately I tend to be simple-Tonight was supposed to be:

Salmon, pan fried in a bit of butter and juice of fresh lemon and dill weed. 

Pre-cooked squash, made into a patty and warmed in small pan with butter and s&p. 

But I had scrambled eggs with asparagus and 3 pieces of BACON and a bit of potato at 2:30 and am still full. So I'll skip dinner. Having my Steel Reserve tonight cause Dan was just made Full Access Member! 

Tomorrow lunch is Taco Salad, Lew's favorite.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Ok Here's another one I came across, and try to tell me it doesn't look good!!!

Cheeseburger Meatloaf with Famous Burger Sauce

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Yield: 6-8 servings

post-1083-0-80858900-1416590513_thumb.jp

Ingredients

For the meatloaf:
For the burger sauce:
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 cup white bread cubes
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 20 pickles, divided
  • 6 slices American cheese, divided
  • 1/2 cup light mayo
  • 3 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
  • 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
  • 3/4 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  •  
  •  
  •  

Instructions

For the meatloaf:
For the burger sauce:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, milk, and egg, using a fork to break up the bread cubes.
  3. Add onions, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
  4. Add ground beef, incorporating the egg mixture and onion with a fork or hands.
  5. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place half the beef mixture on the sheet and shape into a 4.5-inch by 9.5 inch rectangle.
  6. Top the beef with 10 pickles and 3 cheese slices.
  7. Add the remaining beef mixture on top of the pickles and cheese, smoothing with a fork or hands and sealing the sides to prevent the cheese from melting out.
  8. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes (or until inserted meat thermometer reads 165F degrees).
  9. Once the meatloaf reaches the desired internal temperature, add the remaining pickles slices and American cheese to the top of the loaf and bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
  10. Top the meatloaf with half the burger sauce (see instructions below) and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
  11. In a small bowl, combine the mayo, relish, mustard, paprika, vinegar, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well and store in the fridge until ready to use.

Notes

The burger sauce can be made and served immediately, but it is best to make it at least 30 minutes before using to allow the flavors to blend together.

The meatloaf can be made the night before. Simply wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and store on a plate or platter in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.

Serving suggestion: Serve the meatloaf with lettuce salad and crusty bread with sesame seeds.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Went into the garden and grabbed 2 red potatoes, quartered and in a fry pan steamed with a bit of water, when 1/2 way cooked added butter and garlic, then added 4 eggs on top and cooked sausage. Steamed the eggs and added cheese. Lew loved it,  4x's this week.

I had cooked beef, stir fried onion/mushroom/peppers and rice. Heated up with swiss on top. 

• 10 months later...

I had no idea what to cook tonight (this thread is very inspirational!), so when I looked into my fridge and pantry, I made this:

Lentil soup with Chorizo, and freshly baked quick bread

Puy French lentils - cooks quickly and no soaking, about 20 mins

Chopped onion and garlic

Chopped celery and carrot

Saute all ingredients in olive oil for about 6 mins or so

Add chopped chorizo, saute until crispy

Add 250mls or more of chicken stock

Bring to the boil, then simmer until cooked - 30-40 mins or so

(season with fresh herbs and salt/pepper, careful with adding too much salt because chorizo is salty)

Meanwhile, make the bread - it's a quick bread, no yeast

2 cups plain flour

1 tbls baking powder

salt

butter

milk

Rub butter onto pan, put in hot oven (250C)

Mix all other ingredients until dough resembles pancake mix

Pour into loaf dish/pan and bake around 20 mins or so

This bread didn't quite turn out as good as I expected, but it was a first try.  Maybe you can share a better recipe here!  But the fresh bread went very well with the hearty soup.  Voila!

Tiredness got the better of me tonight. For me,  I cleaned up the little remains of 3 boxes of cereal,  with Chocolate almond milk, then for my son I made Kraft dinner but added ground beef, onions and peas and viola, lazy man's Hungarian goulash. 

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

When the mood hits me, I'll take out the crock pot . super easy and super delicious roast .  I was amazed how delicious this turns out. 3 simple ingredients for a mouth watering crock pot roast. salt to taste, sprinkle soy sauce over the roast but you don't need to drown it. chop or slice one or two onions , put onions on top of the roast . follow crock pot directions for the size of roast you have  usually 6- 8 hrs on low.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Tonight I prepared roasted turkey (legs) and root vegetables (carrots, red potatoes) and onions with homemade biscuits (i.e. bread rolls).

I salted and peppered the turkey; then pan-seared it on high for 2 or 3 minutes on each side for browning effect.

Transfer the turkey legs into claypot dish to bake at 325F for 30 minutes.

Remove dish from oven to add 4 quartered red potatoes, 4 cut carrots, 6 to 8 whole garlic cloves, and 1 quartered red onion.

Top with add'l salt, pepper, allspice, adobo, thyme and fresh chopped rosemary leaves; drizzle with olive oil and returned to oven for add'l 1.15 minutes

Prepared the biscuits while turkey was roasting.  Looks something like this. (post #23)

Dessert: vegan chocolate cake/no icing--ever!

Edited by Omo_Yeme

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got this cheesy "baked spaghetti and meatballs" recipe from a relative--a poor man's version of lasagna--and topped it with chopped parsley.

Ingredients include pasta sauce, mozarella & colby, chopped onions, minced garlic, sauteed spinach, Italian seasonings and meatballs, halved.

The garlic knots just melts in your mouth. [And beets as a side dish.]  

Baked Spa.jpg

Edited by Omoyeme

16 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Gnots.jpg

I see you use parchment paper!i just started using that the last couple of years!  Wish I would have done it much sooner.  I always thought it was just an added expense, did not realize the benefits it provides.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Thanks for the input Leslie.  I'm of the opinion that food is only as healthy as the oil it's cooked in and the equipment one uses.  After doing extensive research many years ago, I stopped using "non-stick and aluminum" cookware.  (This cookie sheet is an exception because it's sturdy and won't "bend" in the oven.)  But I always use parchment paper to prevent contact with my breads, cookies, roasted veggies, etc.  (I'm on a budget now but if I can find a non-stick/non-aluminum cookie sheet priced right, I'd get it.)