JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dieting, going Low Carb

How long does it cook since the bacon takes so long and the shrimp so little time?

I bought the Atkins Book today along with the companion journal, and some Atkins shakes and meal replacement bars just to get me started.  I work tomorrow but will go to the grocery store Wednesday for proper shopping for low carb vegetables and such.  I even bought the Surge FitBit watch and the wifi Scales to go with it!  I saw somewhere in the instructions that if you connect it to twitter or FB it will "tweet" your weight out to the world!!!  Just what I want!!!  I can hardly face the numbers myself much less have the world know!  LOL!  But on the up side you can connect the scale to your doctors office (have not figured that out yet) and it will send your weight and satistics to your doctor.  Not sure about that one either...

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Leslie, you're a dedicated woman! I want to go back on the eating program I used to be on, much like Paleo. It was called 40-30-30 Fat Burning Nutrition, there are 3 or so books and I lost 45 pounds in about 3 and 1/2 months. BUT I have to be dedicated to it. And I have to be willing to be hungry. Sigh, it's so hard. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I am not really on low carb since I don't count it... But, I am out of pasta, rice, bread, and most of the fruits... I only lose 2 kgs in the first few days... After that I'm stuck, well... It's only a week, lol... I should be patient I guess...

However, I really like the feeling I have now... I don't feel sleepy anymore... I wake up fresh, and I feel I have more energy than before! And, my tummy is a little bit smaller lol...

:bouncing:

Leslie, I'm going to get the shrimp and bacon this week and make them, we'll figure this out. I was concerned about the bacon not being done too. I think I'll par cook the bacon so it's crispy when it's done. Get back with you on this, fun!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Some how that shrimp and bacon looks like a heart attack on a plate to me .......lol but that's just me ........ I should look like a model with my strict disciplined approach to no carb/clean eating.

But I feel great and can function and able to pioneer this month been a very clean eater since I was diagnosed with MS ....... It does make a difference girls so keep up the good work!!!

News Flash : new system right around the corner we will soon have perfect minds and bodies .

As far as sweet tea - you might try this:

Make the tea un-sweet. Then, add the sugar to the tea cold to sweeten it. You will notice that it does not dissolve correctly and does not taste quite the same.  By the time you get to the bottom of the glass you will have the sugar there that did not dissolve - your last gulp of tea will be ultra-sweet, yuck. This will slow down you desire for sweet tea.

Next, make the tea a little "weaker" and try it with lime (lemon works, but the lime will taste sweeter) - keep trying it this way and you will "get used to it" and, when you do, you will find that you like unsweet tea far better then the syrup you used to drink - and you will never go back to the sweet stuff.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Some of my smoothies: i) carrot juice, baby spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, radicchio,cucumber, plain low fat yogurt, banana, apple slices  I also have a bag of frozen unsweetened blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries, and I throw a few in

ii) Tonight I put in carrots, radicchio,celery, Spring mix with herbs = yango. lolla tosa, red and green romaine,red and green Oak, red and green chard, spinach, Mizuna, beet greens, arugala, kale, collard greens, dill, parsley,plain yogurt, apple slices, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Tomorrow I will add broccolli.

I'm having a smoothie for breakfast and dinner, and usually lite and fit yogurt for lunch, b/c i don't have time to stop and eat. 

I have a complete smoothie plan, that I will post when I have a little more time. The smoothies really keep me feeling full for a long time. Right now  I am using more vegetables than fruit.

Edited by kejedo

Interesting reading here, gals. On this cancer journey I haven't really lost weight, but boy, did I lose body fat! My waist and hips are 3 " smaller, which isn't a bad thing, but smaller sizes are required.The lousy diet helped with that. When you're laid out on the sofa for quite a few days, you tend to eat whatever comes to hand. More than once, supper was cottage cheese with fresh ground pepper. I didn't eat too much at one time, but nibbled morre than anything. Cheese and crackerss were my "go to", in a pinch. Had to drink at least 8- eight ounce glasses of water, while on the chemo, which went on for 3 months. That really puts a damper on your appetite, for sure!

Anyway, for those of you afraid of bacon fat, did you know you can cook bacon, or sausage links half way through in water? You simmer, not boil! That eliminates a lot of the fat, and the loss of flavor is minimal. New research is saying that the lack of fat and oils in the diet are not as fattening as we were led to believe. The main culprit is carbohydrates. And my son was telling me, that the agri-business has messed with the wheat, by adding 22 more chromesomes, which has increased the amount of gluten in flour. And they have modified the yeast they use in their big industrial mixers, as the dough can't stand up to the pounding it gets from those same machines.

If they have messed with the genetic make-up of that wheat, it is small wonder your bodies don't recognize it as food. Then it stores it as fat. I personally can tell if I eat any commercially made bread product, That makes me doubly sad, as cinnamon donuts, made by Entemanns are awesome! My tummy can swell quite a bit. It takes 2 days to rid my body of that!

I read an article about dieting, and it was saying if you try to lose weight with the aid of commercial products, you have already failed. "If your grandmother wouldn't recognize something as food, you shouldn't eat it either."     :unsure:

Dear Peggy, i am so sorry to hear about what you are going through with cancer. It sounds like you are holding up well. Prayers going out, of course. I haven'e cooked bacon in years, and did it recently the way you mentioned. It came out much less fatty and less salty, which is a plus for me.

I just bought a Fitbit Surge but there are many models of Fitbit starting around 79.00.  On the Fitbit.com page I started a group --private support group--for Jehovah's witnesses called "A People For His Name".  I would love to have anyone of you or maybe if you know anyone that would like to join a fitness group that our witnesses or favorable to witnesses, invite them to join me..  This is such a great tool because you document food, water, your weight, height, measurements and it gives you feedback as to calories burned, BMI, caluculates when you will reach your goal by adjusting the date on a daily basis!  Incredible!!!  How nice to see in writing  the figures change from day to day according to your intake and your exercise/activity/movement.  The surge even documents your sleep pattern showing how many times you awake, are restless, how long it took to go to sleep and the quality of your sleep!  I know I am forgetting other things but try it yourself!  Maybe we can commit together and get this thing done!  Oh, Oh, Oh.  I forgot to say as you log your food it pulls down a dropdown menu that has food on it so you just click and the program takes over with completing the documentation.  Example:  in the breakfast section I started to type Atkins Breakfast Tex-Mex scramble (which was delicious by the way) and I only had to type ATK and all the Atkins breakfast dishes popped up and I clicked it then it filled in the calories, carbs, fat!  It is a complete food Bible-or at least as far as I can tell-if you type in name brand, fast foot or raw/whole food it brings it up!  You can even scan labels and it pulls up the nutritional values and logs it for you!  Crazy!!!  Anyway, I actually FEEL EXCITED to be doing this!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

The problem with a lot of vegetarian diets is that they are not true vegetarian diets but are grain-based diets. You end up eating a lot of wheat, oats, breads, etc. A good vegetarian diet should be more raw vegetable salads'. Steamed vegetables, etc. This would avoid the GRAIN BRAIN and WHEAT BELLY. Starches such as potatoes could be added but should not be the main part of the meal.

Personally I feel great just eating fruit for breakfast, a large rawv salad with a few other vegetables for lunch, and a similar dinner. Meat or potatoes are OK but not both. Meat and potatoes together bare too fattening,.

I do not see going anti-carb but just reduce the starchy carbs.

I have lost 30 pounds since March. No secret and no special diet. I got rid of junk food and fast food, eating lots of veggies and fruits and walking 5 days a a week and drinking lots and lots of water. Eating less red meet and more fish and chicken. I am not counting calories or anything else.

Seems to me what you are talking aboutbisd more like a dietbvwe would be beating in the new system.

That is it. Back to the basics.

I don't think it get's boring. One eats better on a lower carb diet than on any other kind of diet. The problem I have is that living a lower carb lifestyle requires more effort to prepare food. Since everything we eat must be fresh and all natural, we can't just "eat on the go". Our "eat on the go" products are limited to low carb protein bars and pork rinds, lol, and if you are only ever eating these things because you are always on the go, then yes, it can get boring.

Actually, I had a very easy time preparing food on the Atkins diet.  I simply ate eggs and bacon or sausage or whatever meat I wanted.  (No biscuits or hash browns of course.)  I drank Decaf coffee with Splenda, the only artificial sweetener that does not taste artificial and the only one recommended by Atkins.

Lunch would be a raw salad (limited in size to Atkins proportions) and a piece of chicken. (I sometimes got Pizza Hut wings to go with the salad.)

I know one woman who went into a fast food place (Burger King, I think) and ordered a hamburger without a bun or ketchup.

I might roll up a slice of ham and a slice of cheese for a break-time snack.

I found it to be easy.

In my opinion the scale is over emphasised. I have weighed more than my friends even though I'd be a smaller size. I don't think the charts used for acceptable weight take into account for bone density and muscle density. I have always been a very physical person and have used heavy equipment for most of my life. Thus weighing heavier. So when it comes to the scale I don't give it much consideration. I think eventually the medical community will have to face this fact. But then maybe not, feeling guilty by being called mildly obese could make people reach out to Nutrisystem and other $$$$ choices and thus the money goes round and round again.

I get jealous when people go on a low carb diet and the weight falls off. I tried it and gained 7 pounds in 10 days. Apparently I'm unable to digest too much protein. So eating a piece of toast or 1/2 cup rice a couple times a week as I keep the protein to 4oz at a meal and lots of veg helps keep me stable.

I did some research, still trying to find the source but haven't found it yet, on wheat now and wheat we had in the 1870"s. The digestibility and clean genetic line made the 1870 wheat superior in every way. Highly  nutritious as well as digestible. No wonder we, who are subjected to GMO's, are having serious gut issues. And it even what they're proposing to do with cattle. There was an article I posted a while back about chemical companies jumping on the issue of bovine 'gas' and how it's a big contributor to ozone depletion :blink: so the chemical companies are going to help create a new 'food' for them, our poor innocent animal won't even be spared. 

And I do agree with Wendy's advice on Tilapia. I get sick every time I eat it. it's hidden in certain foods so I have just gone back to eating straight from my market and straight from the farm, ensuring a good protein source.  

I agree that the scale is over-emphasized.  Truth is bone density and muscle mass have to be in the equation.  I wonder about grain foods.  Wheat and bread were mentioned so often in the bible, but today wheat is not so healthy.  Probably because of the GMO's that you mentioned.

I have lost 30 pounds since March. No secret and no special diet. I got rid of junk food and fast food, eating lots of veggies and fruits and walking 5 days a a week and drinking lots and lots of water. Eating less red meet and more fish and chicken. I am not counting calories or anything else.

I don't know what I did wrong but my comment seems to have been lost. Something along the linebof , "You seem to be going to a diet more like we will probably be beating in the new system."

Seems to me what you are talking aboutbisd more like a dietbvwe would be beating in the new system.

That is it. Back to the basics.

One of my students from Puerto Rico lost 30 lbs on the potatoes and carrots diet. He learned it from a Dr. in Puerto Rico. He only eats potatoes and carrots until nightfall (can add olive oil). After dark, he can eat pineapples. I think it took him less than 2 months to lose thirty pounds, and whenever he gains a few poinds, he goes back to potatoes and carrots. I can verify before and after photos.

help.......need to drop 60 pounds..........I'm 5'2" weighting in at 183..............I really need to quit sweet tea.....won't do artificial sweeteners..........also have medical problems

help me cope !

One thing dear ole doctor oz said, that made sense, high blood sugar is like little shards of glass running around in your blood stream! Picture that the next time you reach to fill your sweet tea glass. The one thing I really am afraid of, is the vision loss. Diabetes can damage the retina, and you know how important reading is to a Witness.

One of my students from Puerto Rico lost 30 lbs on the potatoes and carrots diet. He learned it from a Dr. in Puerto Rico. He only eats potatoes and carrots until nightfall (can add olive oil). After dark, he can eat pineapples. I think it took him less than 2 months to lose thirty pounds, and whenever he gains a few poinds, he goes back to potatoes and carrots. I can verify before and after photos.

Only that 4? Potato, Carrot, Olive Oil and Pineapple?  :o

How he did it?  :wacko:

:bouncing: