JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Share a recipe ... unique to ...

Cheryl, I've made cows tongue before. I found it best in a crockpot or Nesco if you're making more than one. It's usually 2 onions (I use yellow) to each tongue, slice in chunks. Add enough water to cover meat and let it cook for about 8 hours long and slow at medium heat. The skin covering the tongue will start to separate from the meat when its done. Remove the skin (tastebuds) and shread the meat, like pulled pork. Use it to make tacos get some fresh homemade four tortillas and sprinkle with a little salt or any additional seasonings you like. I could see maybe some cilantro, onions and some queso fresco to jazz it up. Me, I like this dish more on the plain side with just some salt. The onion tenderizes it and gives it a good flavor. 

The congregation I was in for many years (my brother is still there) likes to have get-togethers at the park near one of the lakes in the area.

We usually center these, food wise, around BBQ.

The day before the BBQ, ribs, beef and/or pork, are covered with a dry rub (we make our own with brown sugar, kosher salt and various spices). These ribs are usually bought in a case box. So, after the rub is applied, they go back in the box until time to go in the smoker.

Chicken is also prepared the same way.

Either the night before or very early, like around 12 - 4AM, the smoker is fired up with charcoal and wood. We are looking for a temp around 225F. The meat is put on the racks and the lid closed.

I should mention the smoker is a trailer that can be pulled behind a vehicle and can hold quite a bit. This allows for the meat to be started while still at home. one of the keys to this is, keep the smoker closed - resist the urge to keep checking it. SOmewhere around the 6 hour mark, open the smoker, turn all the meat. Then, hitch up the rig and pull it to the park .... yep, that's right, we pull it down the road while it is still cooking the meat.

When we get to the park we check the meat. The ribs can be wrapped in foil to keep them moist while keeping them warm. The chicken is placed in large metal trays and covered with foil. All these are placed on one end of the cooker and the coals are moved to the other end. This way, burgers and hotdogs can be cooked over the hot area as the tables are being set up.

We usually end up with an array of potato salads, deviled eggs, salads, beans and corn (if it is the right time of year to have fresh corn on the cob, we cook the corn on the grill). There is also a nice array of deserts.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Sadly, the Brother who owned the trailer suffered an unexpected heart attack earlier this year and is no longer with us. Not sure what will be done for the next gathering.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~