JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 572 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

The initials LDC have been corrupted here ever since someone said it meant

Lemon Drizzle Cake :(

Love Dove Chocolate..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

When one door closes ... Jehovah opens another

The Disaster Warehouse in Jacksonville closed so I will not be working there anymore ... however, today I received a new invite :yes:

I am supposed to teach a maintenance training skill at a Hall next Saturday (Jan 19) - I am waiting for the material from LDC to know how I am supposed to do this :thumbsup: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 12/22/2018 at 10:17 PM, Tortuga said:

The AH hosted an Appreciation Dinner for the AH workers and their families today, it started this afternoon with a tour and activities for the young ones.The invitation was unfortunately posted on social media and instead of 75-100 kids, the brothers were expecting around 500. Everyone had the same attitude Jesus did and said 'let them come'. My wife made over 500 cookies and we found out several sisters did the same. :eek: Everything got eaten and the kids had a great time.

The AH maintenance crew was treated to an update and several videos this morning. There were nearly 550 visitors and over 300 of them were children. A sister was taking pictures of some of the tours and children and made a video collage out of them. The AH overseer forwarded it to his overseer at the branch and he forwarded it to all of the US Assembly Halls. Who knows, maybe your local AH will have a Family Day soon...

The tour pictures included kids dressed in PPE, vests, gloves, hard hats. One of the LDC brothers had a paper cutout that would make a KH. Another brother showed his KH made of Legos. 

The sister that does the IT work had made a great whiteboard animation of what goes on in the A/V room. It looked as good as the whiteboard animations the branch does. I wish I could share it but I can't. I noticed she didn't mention that the wine is stored in the A/V room..:whistling:

It was a nice treat...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The brothers have decided to replace all of the bathroom partition doors and hardware at the Assembly Hall. I was there all day today and I was asked to come back on Monday to work on them, It turns out the job is taking longer than they thought. We are replacing the doors and hardware in over 60 stalls. Some of the new doors appear to be a little smaller so we need to adjust the width of the opening.  Its amazing what you can learn working with LDC. I love it!

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 3:29 PM, Old said:

Thank you Sister Margaret.

You would not have any reason to conclude that a posting like that was contrary to instructions received by elders.

Now concerning the brother who posted the picture it is a different story.

Since only elders are supposed to have access to the program we can conclude that was done by a spiritually week elder.

Or, and this turns my stomach to think about it, we have an opposer clothed as an elder. 

This kind of thing happens and little can be done to control it.

Again thank you for recognizing the error of the original poster.

Which weeks would you consider to be spiritual weeks?

Btw - I do not know what picture you all are talking about!

Seriously - my wife and I have had wonderful experiences working with 'Quick Build' Kingdom Hall construction - don't know what it is called now - but it is still a wonderful experience1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, Tortuga said:

The brothers have decided to replace all of the bathroom partition doors and hardware at the Assembly Hall. I was there all day today and I was asked to come back on Monday to work on them, It turns out the job is taking longer than they thought. We are replacing the doors and hardware in over 60 stalls. Some of the new doors appear to be a little smaller so we need to adjust the width of the opening.  Its amazing what you can learn working with LDC. I love it!

Taking longer?

Perhaps you were stalling?😗

I just returned from LDC  training for "Fall Protection" from working on roof repair or installation.  It was very good and the practical training we received was helpful.  It is one thing to study the needs, purpose and effect of harness restraint, but it is another to be dangling from the harness and trying to work out a solution.  All went well.  I appreciate the brothers concern for safety in all aspects of our work in construction. maintenance and every other part of our service to God.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

I just returned from LDC  training for "Fall Protection" from working on roof repair or installation.  It was very good and the practical training we received was helpful.  It is one thing to study the needs, purpose and effect of harness restraint, but it is another to be dangling from the harness and trying to work out a solution.  All went well.  I appreciate the brothers concern for safety in all aspects of our work in construction. maintenance and every other part of our service to God.

Anything in particular you liked

im conducting a version of this week - installing the roof brackets and training

let me know what you thought was most beneficial....

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

I had a lot of industrial fall protection training and one of the first things I appreciated learning was that hanging in a harness is not funny, it can be very dangerous. Just a good reminder that safety equipment are not toys.

20 minutes ago, DarinS said:

Anything in particular you liked

im conducting a version of this week - installing the roof brackets and training

let me know what you thought was most beneficial....

Br. Darin, My daughter and son-in-law are part of the Maintenance trainer program in another zone.  So we had discussed harnesses and fall protection a lot.  I have driven him to training in at least 2 states.  Points that I found interesting were the appreciation between fall restraint and fall protection.  Same harness but a different application.  I especially like the "hierarchy" of safety concerning fall protection. 

1st and best level is to avoid or substitute.  Don't do a job with possibility of falls, do it a safer way, use some kind of equipment that allows you to remain on the ground or in a safe place.

2nd level but not as good, is an activity that utilizes fall restraint instead.  You are tied off but not over the edge, you won't be hanging.

3rd level and more dangerous, is to use fall restraint.  It can save your life if you fall off the roof but brings its own dangers including possible loss of limbs or death.

4th level is administrative (not very good but a minimum).  This is the rule book.  Post signs, put up warnings or redirect traffic.  Use caution tape and so on.

I really enjoyed the practical training.  They took us to a brother's warehouse and mounted anchor points around the building.  Then, in our own harness or a borrowed set, we climbed to the top if the anchor point and stepped off into space.  Dangling there. trying to fashion a stirrup loop out of the catch rope and step into it to relieve circulation pressure, was a hoot.  Some didn't have their "D" ring high enough and kind of folded over.  Some of the tall brothers kept making the loop too short and couldn't get their leg up high enough to step into it.  One brother kept making it too long. He would fashion the loop and step into it and not raise up any.  We had a lot of sisters in our group.  Everybody passed eventually.

The pictures of job-sites where we did it wrong was an eye-opener.  We must do better in the future.

Edited by jwhess

14 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Darin, My daughter and son-in-law are part of the Maintenance trainer program in another zone.  So we had discussed harnesses and fall protection a lot.  I have driven him to training in at least 2 states.  Points that I found interesting were the appreciation between fall restraint and fall protection.  Same harness but a different application.  I especially like the "hierarchy" of safety concerning fall protection. 

1st and best level is to avoid or substitute.  Don't do a job with possibility of falls, do it a safer way, use some kind of equipment that allows you to remain on the ground or in a safe place.

2nd level but not as good, is an activity that utilizes fall restraint instead.  You are tied off but not over the edge, you won't be hanging.

3rd level and more dangerous, is to use fall restraint.  It can save your life if you fall off the roof but brings its own dangers including possible loss of limbs or death.

4th level is administrative (not very good but a minimum).  This is the rule book.  Post signs, put up warnings or redirect traffic.  Use caution tape and so on.

I really enjoyed the practical training.  They took us to a brother's warehouse and mounted anchor points around the building.  Then, in our own harness or a borrowed set, we climbed to the top if the anchor point and stepped off into space.  Dangling there. trying to fashion a stirrup loop out of the catch rope and step into it to relieve circulation pressure, was a hoot.  Some didn't have their "D" ring high enough and kind of folded over.  Some of the tall brothers kept making the loop too short and couldn't get their leg up high enough to step into it.  One brother kept making it too long. He would fashion the loop and step into it and not raise up any.  We had a lot of sisters in our group.  Everybody passed eventually.

The pictures of job-sites where we did it wrong was an eye-opener.  We must do better in the future.

Thanks for that Bro John..

Most of these things are common sense 'after' you have been told.. Thinking safely is a better frame of mind. If you get the principles right then you are better placed to work safely.

I would guess that most in our congregation would think that the harness is the ultimate safety device to wear.. How good of the brothers to teach us.. as always.. in their own time. A great sacrifice.

13 hours ago, Newtonian said:

Which weeks would you consider to be spiritual weeks?

Btw - I do not know what picture you all are talking about!

Seriously - my wife and I have had wonderful experiences working with 'Quick Build' Kingdom Hall construction - don't know what it is called now - but it is still a wonderful experience1

Probably a good reminder at this time to check the dates

you are referencing a post from Feb 2015 — the pictures where removed

and its possible that they were inadvertently shared....

either way...please be mindful of rehashing things from years ago

@ JOHN - thanx for the info

Edited by DarinS

Forgot addon

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)