JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

An avocado tree is a must in the new system! My parents had one when I was a kid and I love avocado. They are $3.50 at the shops here at the moment! :o

Love it on sourdough toast, mashed with a bit of feta, squeeze of lemon juice and topped with arugula (referred to as rocket here) and a drizzle of olive oil. Yum!

Does anyone else here dislike it cooked? I love the idea of it but then I order a dish with it in and I'm always disappointed as it tastes bitter:(

I've been getting avocado for a dollar each. Glad because I eat it 5 times a week, now that I can. I'm still putting it in salad, with my sprouts and tomato,  on a burger patty with bacon (!)  Along side a stirfry. Or just plain with pink salt.  It sure is an appetite suppressant . 

I think cooking it would bring out the bitter taste too. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Well, I've never tried cooking it though I have seen online recipes of that nature. As for me, I like it just the way it is--raw! I put it in my salads, make an avocado, cucumber and tomato sanwhich, as a hummus dish or rounded in a tortilla.

The possibilities are endless. :)

I have a little avocado story.......

The first avocado I ever ate was in homemaking class, I was 18 years old. Our teacher said these avocados came from the tree in her next door neighbors yard. 

16 years later I married the man who bought the house with that very same avocado tree!!

These days our tree doesn't bear too well anymore, it's getting old....

I've been getting avocado for a dollar each. Glad because I eat it 5 times a week, now that I can. I'm still putting it in salad, with my sprouts and tomato,  on a burger patty with bacon (!)  Along side a stirfry. Or just plain with pink salt.  It sure is an appetite suppressant . 

I think cooking it would bring out the bitter taste too. 

09360953f8cb58acedd548d81e654062.jpg

Jumbo Avocado 78 cents... Hooked, I am!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, nanceebgd46 said:

I am never quite as happy....as when I  have in front  of me a bowl of guacamole and a LARGER bowl of warm tortilla chips!  Talk 

about 'comfort food.':uhhuh::uhhuh:

Yeeeeeeeaaahhhhhh!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth, Nancee! :backflip:

Chrissy :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2016 at 3:34 PM, nanceebgd46 said:

I am never quite as happy....as when I  have in front  of me a bowl of guacamole and a LARGER bowl of warm tortilla chips!  Talk 

about 'comfort food.':uhhuh::uhhuh:

We have a restaurant in a town about an hour away that has on it's menu "fried guacamole balls"!  They roll quacamole in panko or some kind of breading and fry it!  it's very popular but I've never tried it.  Recently I had the "avocado egg rolls" from the Cheesecake factory with a sweet cilantro dipping sauce and they were AWESOME!  Warm avacado's are delicious!  I'm going to search for a knock off recipe!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

13 hours ago, shali said:

We have a restaurant in a town about an hour away that has on it's menu "fried guacamole balls"!  They roll quacamole in panko or some kind of breading and fry it!  it's very popular but I've never tried it.  Recently I had the "avocado egg rolls" from the Cheesecake factory with a sweet cilantro dipping sauce and they were AWESOME!  Warm avacado's are delicious!  I'm going to search for a knock off recipe!

Brigette, where do you live and what´s the name of this restaurant??? I`M COMING!!! :superman::drool:

P.S. Wow - so the Cheesecake factory really exixts? I thought it´s only an invention of TBBT :D

Chrissy :wave:

On 2/21/2016 at 9:12 AM, coonie77 said:

Brigette, where do you live and what´s the name of this restaurant??? I`M COMING!!! :superman::drool:

P.S. Wow - so the Cheesecake factory really exixts? I thought it´s only an invention of TBBT :D

LOL!  Actually the fried quac balls come from a place called "Evil Chech Brewery"!  I found this knock off recipe for the avocado eggrolls and cilantro dipping sauce from the cheesecake factory that I'm definitely going to try as soon as I can afford to buy the saffron for the sauce! haha!

http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-cheesecake-factorys-avocado-egg-rolls-by-todd-wilbur-60891

Yes, the Cheesecake Factory really does exist (mostly in bigger towns like Chicago and Indy), the one I went too was a lot nicer than the one Penny worked at!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 1 month later...

READ THIS AND NEVER THROW AWAY AVOCADO SEEDS AGAIN

Avocado is really incredible fruit and we can say that is one of the most complete and beneficial fruit for human health. In addition, avocado seed is very powerful and useful.
In today’s article we will explain why.
Avocado seed contain over 65% of the amino acids. Also it contains more fiber than many other foods.

BENEFITS OF AVOCADO SEED
1- It is anti – inflammatory and because of that is very effective in combating arthritisu
2- Studies showed that avocado seed helps in reducing inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Also useful for diarrhea, it can be used to make medicines for infections and stomach problems.
3- These seeds are great source of rejuvenation. Latest studies showed that this increases the level of collagen, helping to make your skin firm and reduce wrinkles.
4- Another benefit is strengthening of the immune system and helping to prevent disease.
5- Avocado seeds makes us to feel full and is very effective when it comes to burning fat. .
6- Great property of these seeds is that contains high levels of energy to help you keep energized all day.
7- You can consume this seed with salads, you can make tea, smoothies or shakes.
8- Due to flayonol content avocado seed prevents the growth of tumors
Persin
Avocado contains this fungicidal toxin. Although generally it is harmless to humans, it is dangerous if is consumed by domestic animals in large quantities.
This compound is oil – soluble and structurally is similar to a fatty acid, and it leaches into the body of the fruit from the pits. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.
Allergies
Some people are allergic to avocado. There are two main forms of allergy reactions:   first ones are manifested with tree – pollen allergy, that develops local symptoms in the mouth and throat shortly after eating avocado. The second group is known as latex – fruit syndrome and is related to latex allergy and symptoms. It includes generalised urticaria, abdominal pain, and vomiting that sometimes can be life -threatening.

We made some avocado ice cream the other day. It was pretty easy, we just blended in the blender three avocados, 1.5 cups coconut milk, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tbsp of lime/lemon juice. Then we froze it in a bowl for many hours. It tastes more like coconut than avocado, and you really don't need to eat a lot as it's very dense and filling.

This was Pati Jinich's recipe. She has a video on YouTube. 

READ THIS AND NEVER THROW AWAY AVOCADO SEEDS AGAIN

Avocado is really incredible fruit and we can say that is one of the most complete and beneficial fruit for human health. In addition, avocado seed is very powerful and useful.

In today’s article we will explain why.

Avocado seed contain over 65% of the amino acids. Also it contains more fiber than many other foods.

BENEFITS OF AVOCADO SEED

1- It is anti – inflammatory and because of that is very effective in combating arthritisu

2- Studies showed that avocado seed helps in reducing inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Also useful for diarrhea, it can be used to make medicines for infections and stomach problems.

3- These seeds are great source of rejuvenation. Latest studies showed that this increases the level of collagen, helping to make your skin firm and reduce wrinkles.

4- Another benefit is strengthening of the immune system and helping to prevent disease.

5- Avocado seeds makes us to feel full and is very effective when it comes to burning fat. .

6- Great property of these seeds is that contains high levels of energy to help you keep energized all day.

7- You can consume this seed with salads, you can make tea, smoothies or shakes.

8- Due to flayonol content avocado seed prevents the growth of tumors

Persin

Avocado contains this fungicidal toxin. Although generally it is harmless to humans, it is dangerous if is consumed by domestic animals in large quantities.

This compound is oil – soluble and structurally is similar to a fatty acid, and it leaches into the body of the fruit from the pits. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.

Allergies

Some people are allergic to avocado. There are two main forms of allergy reactions:   first ones are manifested with tree – pollen allergy, that develops local symptoms in the mouth and throat shortly after eating avocado. The second group is known as latex – fruit syndrome and is related to latex allergy and symptoms. It includes generalised urticaria, abdominal pain, and vomiting that sometimes can be life -threatening.

Can't wait to grind up a seed and use in smoothie! Stay tuned! I need to research if I am to use only grind a fresh seed or let dry out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

Tracey, have you made coconut milk? I'd like to start doing it. 

How do you milk a coconut?

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D