JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What "types" of school or curriculum do you use?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, kejedo said:

Alexa, please update. What at you up to now? Thinking of you.     YS

I am trying to do pioneering but I am probably considering it now because I have the whole family going to meetings which is nice as it only started last sunday. In regards to studying im going to my mother's place after studying but trying to make sure got field service right too. Additionally, Im thinking how to study the school matters and how to got it correctly but i'm happy it can survive. The author of our book got things wrong about some things that makes it different to practicing it. I should finish studying right at 4th but  not focusing it quite much which I am grateful to things I experience like going errands to help other brothers and sisters or not worrying about it.:) sis kejedo 

We have had bad weather last week and I can't do right my personal study which is also a struggle while studying school activities. :( I am currently grounded in using talk but got time to open some sites which makes me return now here sis kejedo ;) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

2 hours ago, Alexa said:

I am trying to do pioneering but I am probably considering it now because I have the whole family going to meetings which is nice as it only started last sunday.  :( I am currently grounded in using talk but got time to open some sites which makes me return now here sis kejedo ;) 

So wonderful to see you back posting with us, Alexa!!!:D

I missed you, and I will pray that you can balance your pioneering and your schooling and your personal studying.^_^

Awesome, that the whole family is attending meetings!!!!:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 1 month later...

M grand girl was home schooled the first 4 years by MD, and did fairly well. Passed all her exams with good grades. But this year she's doing K12, today was her first day. MD is nervous because it's more structured and she has to follow different rules. So far so good. Love her little face.

59af0b7e73f23_image1(480x640).jpg.3524578dfce83ffb6b2773f68e672a30.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 weeks later...

It is all sisters on this thread, I think, so I will weigh in as a brother. My wife and I served in an urban congregation and the schools had a terrible reputation. (they still do, despite annual proclamations that they are now going to fix the schools, and the words are immediately taken for the deed) We didn't want to leave that congregation but we wanted the best for our kids. That is how we came to homeschool, not exactly on the ground floor, but close - in the 1980's through 90's. 

We leaned towards what is now called 'unschooling' and chose curriculum from Clonlora school, mainly because they would let you do what you thought best and would handle all the interactions with the school district,  which could be onerous. Homeschooling worked well for us, with one exception - the schools may not be much good at educating, but they do know where all the agencies are and connections to further whatever goals you have. Of course, they also want to change those goals, still this was something we could have used at times. 

There were some who said "Do you really think you can do better than professional teachers?" My (non-verbal) answer was "How can we do worse?" We took advantage of community resources - not just the congregations, though that was the core. If you create an atmosphere of learning in the home, and restrict what distracts, children almost can't help but learn and enjoy doing it. Both my kids, now in their late 30's, are thought, and always have been, among the brightest in the circuit. Largely, we credit homeschooling. (One left the truth however, but this is not connected with the homeschooling)

I try to sum up a lot in a few paragraphs. I am like @kejedoin that I am in New York and in that I will be glad to guide anyone I can as well as alleviate concerns husbands may have - even unbelieving ones. Throughout the years we had many experiences and many of them are on a blog category I pen.

http://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/homeschooling/

Seriously, should anyone want to draw on experiences of one who has been there, just ring. As able, I will share.

Homeschooling isn't always good. Sometimes it fails. (of course, often times schools fail, too) I can help identify the pitfalls. Almost 20 years have gone by and some things are different. But other things have not changed.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.