JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Homeschooling resources......

If anyone is interested in "unschooling" which is a form of homeschooling or home learning... you may be interested in this site. It is not a witness site.. but then neither is public school. There are however lots of very good articles on teaching your children and how they learn. I think I read every article I could get my hands on at the library and online when I was trying to learn what kind of "education" I wanted for my last child.

http://sandradodd.com/unschooling

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Free homeschool curriculas-

Allinonehomeschool.com (Charlotte Mason-inspired)

Amblesideonline.com (Charlotte Mason) 

Discoveryk12.com (NOT k12)

OldFashionedEducation.com (some what christian, but not heavily). 

I also really like Eclectic Education Series-it's only 160 dollars, for 160 books that make a complete curricula for K-18th grade (yes 6 years into college). 

You can find so many out of copy write books completely free on google books! It's great. (some on kindle too, but more on google then kindle).

I would love it. 

I just recently read a book by a lady, something like Large family mothering or something like that. And I really liked her book. 

I forgot to add, there's also a sister who has developed a curricula, Jenny Westbrook if you google you will find her curricula and website, she also has a free newsletter.

Free book of homeschool encouragement, I have only read 12 percent of the book so can't speak for the entire book. I will say of what I have read, it's mainly about relaxing and trusting that you can do this, and not overwhelming yourself or your children. But, as are most worldly books on homeschooling it does reference God, trusting him, and prayer. However, so far it has not mentioned any actual indoctrination that is against or contrary to our beliefs. So up to your conscience, it's free, if you get to reading it and it bothers you, or is not for you, you can always delete it. 

This is the three year Bible Reading curriculum I developed for elementary age children, I will make a teen one later... Also a memorial reading course for teens and elementary, and a fruitage of the spirit type chart, we focus on one fruitage a month. We read the scripture daily, and dicuss it in our lives, and sing the song...Bible Reading Elementary Year 1c.pdf

This is a source for home school curricula written by a JW Sister for JW Kids.  It includes theocratic study along with traditional subjects like math, language arts, etc.  This is just the lesson plan.  The books must be purchased separately on her website or you can find them on Amazon.com or ebay and possibly other bookstores.

http://www.westbrookecurriculum.com/

After 25 percent it gets more religious... darn... oh well up to that point it was pretty good! lol haha Sounds like she has a daughter just like my oldest one. lol

Just finished reading. The "thank you Jesus" stuff got really annoying but I did glean a few points. But as a whole, as a JW most of it was is or should be part if our normal routine anyway. With or without children. Daily bible reading, prayer things like these.

True Heather, I got tired of reading it after 25 percent, got a little too much in the thank you Jesus. lol haha However, I think the first 25 percent would be good for most new comers to homeschooling. That you can do it, and not to over schedule yourself, stuff like that. 

And yes, I love Jenny Westbrook, if you are scared or new, shoot her a email, she'll give you her phone number or call you if you want. And she is really fun to chat with. You can also buy all the books etc through her site, she gets a percentage I'm pretty sure. She also sells used books from her curricula on ebay.

This is a link to a sisters twitter, she has links to her vlog on there. She's a homeschooler. She has one daughter who is above average in intelegence, and schooling. And a son who is special needs. She homeschools them both. With advice and what she is doing to help them. She also was a teacher for a time at a private type school.

https://twitter.com/lopezchronicles

Edited by PrairieGirl

Just wanted to share what I use to keep tract of grades.

The Homeschool Helper App is a great for keeping track of grades on your tablet.  It is available in Apple, Nook or Android formats. It has very good video documentation on how to use each feature.

The app currently only cost around $4.99 but is is rich with features. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Any home-schoolers  here live in the State of NY? I have some families in my congregation who haven't started homeschooling yet, but would like to, and asked me for support and resources.  Is there a place to find  a NY step by step plan (other than the state regs, which are daunting)?  Thanks, ys.

NY is one of the more regulated stated Pauline, but yes HSLDA is a good start. I would most likely join them if I was going to homeschool there. As there is a LOT of regulations there. But, it can be done. I knew a few sisters in NY who homeschool. One lives in Queens. You have to send in stuff to the school district pretty regularly and such I do know that.