JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prince To Play 'Rally 4 Peace' Concert in Baltimore

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2887 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

How many of us would want cameras following us around 24/7 and our every action analyzed and criticised by witnesses from around the world?

If he is still a witness, I have faith that his elders are handling any potential situation appropriately. If he is not a witness, then his actions are his own choice.

Witness or not, he's still a human, and he deserves the same respect that we would give to any other human we encounter. We don't internet-stalk CEOs, politicians, or non-witness celebrities, so why should we withhold this one act of respect from our brother?

Racism is very effective tool that never fails to bring about a affective result.

Satan uses this tool like master craftsman, we have to be very careful in these "critical times" not to get caught in this web of deceit like Eve did. We know that every single man came through one man, Adam.

I just think he is a bit edgy, spiritually. Poor guy he struggles with more then we can imagine. Just hope and pray he sorts it all out. I think most congregations have, "goofiness" with our brothers and sisters, on occassion. Now, let's just add that camera on any of us, day in, day out. Like we are supposed to do, I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, until it all gets sorted out.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

This is where some stirrings of the truth must have began:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnp7X26_XE#t=85

Look for good in Brother Prince Nelson!!!!

What would a person say if they were told Brother Nelson has studied with persons who have progressed to baptism????

What would a person say if they were told that his recording studio has in the past been used for the celebration of the Memorial and the attendance was 283 persons.

"I was pretty wild in my younger days. You don't have to make the mistakes I made." PRINCE ROGERS

NELSON in the video!!!!

Brother Nelson may find it easier to engage in the field ministry in a gated community in Calif. where

persons are not as apt to chase him down the street as they did in Minn.!!!!

Edited by hayhauler

I am glad to call him Brother. WE all start into OUR journey into truth from different places.

Which brings to mind a joke! Do you know how to catch a unique rabbit?

You uneek up on him!!!!

Do you know how to catch a tame rabbit????

The tame way!!!!

Bro. Nelson for certain is a unique one of Jehovah's Witnesses who came from a far different place than most of Jehovah's Witnesses.

WE all came from OUR unique place and all of US are happy to have been drawn to the knowledge of OUR loving father and happy God Jehovah!!!! (John 6:44a)

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/Rbi8/E/1984/43/6#h=46:335-46:447

Edited by hayhauler

If Prince were a regular brother in our congregation, how comfortable would we be about naming him in public and then analysing his personal decisions or spiritual standing.  

I know a sister, her name is Mary McCarthy, she is in the Georgetown congregation and I saw her going into a cinema with a man that was not her husband AND the film was not one I think was suitable for a christian.  I repeat her name is Mary McCarthy, from the Georgetown congregation.  What do you all think of her actions?  Please post your opinion on her on the internet.

Now I just made all that up (hope there isn't a sister McCarthy in a Georgetown congregation) but how did that feel to you?  It didn't feel right.  now I'm going to replace Mary McCarthy with Brother Nelson.  My point is, I don't know anything about Prince, I don't know if he is still an active witness or not, I don't know anything about this Rally, but while I do appreciate everyone can have their personal opinion on Rallys/demonstrations/concerts and I do appreciate input when I'm making a decision input about content from others I think we should be careful what we say about individuals, especially when they are members of our spiritual household.

Please forgive me if i came over as unduly harsh, I did not mean to be and this is NOT directed to any individual(s) in this thread, just a general comment.  

Agapé

Edited by sunshine

I attended the congregation in Beverly Hills where Prince learned the Truth.  When he later moved and then was the halftime entertainment for the Superbowl many witnesses AND general public talked about his "performance" where he played his guitar solo behind what looked like a white flowing sheet.  It was quite questionable.  If it raised the eyebrows of my nonwitness husband and caused him who is a die hard fan of AC/DC to be surprised then I think we can reasonably question his decision to perform in that particular manner.  The congregation elders did a local needs part saying that we were not privy to certain contracts that he might or might not held at the time.  They said if you looked at what his lifestyle was and what it is now you can see it is all about the changes--Progress NOT Perfection.  I loved this comment.  But on the other hand I still think of our most dear sister Teresa Graves and think to myself--she was in the limelight and was definitly being challenged by Satan to break her integrity.  She had a contract also but did not fulfill it.  There are ways out when things are important to you.  Read her life story and go to Central Print and listen to her talks and interviews!!  Please do this for yourself now.  She was a spiritual dynamo and I am so proud of all she accompolished!  She gave up a career which was about to skyrocket.  At the time of her death in a house fire (also knew her from LA) her neighbors were interviewed and they all commented they had no idea she had been a famous actress whose start was as a Bikini Girl on Rowen and Martin's LaughIN.  She was quoted as saying she would rather be known as "one" of Jehovah's witnesses than as Teresa Graves!

Can't wait to tell her how much she really meant to me and how often I reflected on her life/decisions.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Sorry but they are clearly calling his song "The Protest Song" and they have made it clear that this is to HONOR these 2 men Freddie Grey (Prince was even wearing grey for him) and Michael Brown. so this was to honor men with a LONG criminal background which in all probability caused the reaction that took place with the police. It was also mentioned that this was to stop racial discrimination...now wouldn't this be the perfect platform for him to tell everyone a witness about Jehovah and how he is the answer instead of men fixing the government by taking away guns? All in all, sorry but I'm just saying if someone in our congregation was planning a rally our elders would not be pleased, neither would anyone in my congregation...because we are to remain neutral in these situations...

He probably meant well, but went over the edge in most brothers and sisters opinions and it does matter no matter what your profession we are equal in the organization no one is allowed while others are not because of our financial or being well known.

My husband also attended a meeting when he was in Beverly Hills and said he could not find a parking spot and wondered what was going on.  He had to park several blocks away and walk to the standing room only meeting.  He said Prince was there with his girlfriend (this was in 2007)

and he came in a chauferred driven limo parked by the handicap spot.-----Gesh---we all still need alot of work. These are the things that nonwitnesses observe.  No wonder it takes time to really surrender to Jehovah as some need.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

All in all, sorry but I'm just saying if someone in our congregation was planning a rally our elders would not be pleased, neither would anyone in my congregation...because we are to remain neutral in these situations...

We do not know who is planning this rally, or what contractual obligations brother Nelson has in regards to his participation.

"Neutrality" also applies to wearing clothing displaying a flag, yet many elders do exactly that. But since they are following a contractual obligation to wear a uniform, even the most extreme over-sensitive ones don't see it as a violation of their neutrality.

Brother Nelson and his elders have all the facts. We have unreliable news reports that intentionally omit or twist information. Rather than criticising the elders of brother Nelson's congregation for their apparent inaction, perhaps we could accept that there may be other unseen factors and leave it at that?

That's the point of it being called "The protest song" because he is involving himself in a very politically charged situation. That is why we don't get involved at all in these situations so they don't "assume" anything about us being on this side or that side.

This was not comtractural it was a benefit too the money was going to reform the system. And when the comment was made about the elders not handling things, I have no doubt that it will be handled and properly for his needs and for any wrong publicity that has come from it. I have complete faith in Jehovah's arrangement of things. I have never seen any brothers wearing flags in any areas that I have lived either. I am not saying he is wrong I'm saying it looks wrong and I don't know the details but I know that if it is questionable then we should think twice not to bring reproach for Jehovah. We all know that Jehovah is the ONLY answer to these problems. Taking the guns away will not bring peace and neither will racial equality, there will be something else that will cause even more unrest as long as satan is ruler.

This was not comtractural it was a benefit too the money was going to reform the system.

Brother Nelson has managers and employers who hold him to certain contractual obligations. Unless those contracts have been leaked, we cannot know what, if any, planning was done by brother Nelson, and what was done by his employers. We also don't know how much of the reporting of this event has been twisted by the media into something it was never intended to be.

I have never seen any brothers wearing flags in any areas that I have lived either. I am not saying he is wrong I'm saying it looks wrong and I don't know the details but I know that if it is questionable then we should think twice not to bring reproach for Jehovah.

In Chile, the elders will intentionally hang national flags outside the Kingdom Hall when required by Caesar's law, and they do so with clear written approval from the branch.

Neutrality is not a big long list of "never do this under any circumstances", it is a very nuanced balance, largely related to conscience. Some might feel that even displaying a flag or national symbol on one's automobile is a violation of neutrality, yet many do exactly that with their vehicle license plates, because they can determine the difference between a contractual obligation, and a voluntary show of national pride.

Yes we have been instructed by scriptures that we should follow Ceasars laws when it does not contradict Jehovah's. There is no laws stating that we have to hold Rally's in fact it is the opposite these circumstances are completely different from the discussion on Prince's peace rally in Baltimore. The fact is that since he is famous he will be under the microscope and that makes it even more important to obstain from optional actions where he is the highlight or lead in.

When he is saying take away the guns and you look at these two situations it is a direct statement against the police actions that occurred...this is taking sides.

Anyway, aside from taking sides I hope that he learns that we cannot put faith in this system of things while under satans control and that the only answer will be Jehovah's leadership here on earth. It just looks like he puts faith in this system for peace and justice... Maybe I am wrong...

Just a thought, wouldn't it have been an amazing witness if he instructed everyone to look to Jehovah for real peace and justice??? He had the platform to do so, it would have changed it from advocating for change in the government to finding the truth.

When he is saying take away the guns and you look at these two situations it is a direct statement against the police actions that occurred...this is taking sides.

That's why neutrality is not always an either/or issue.

The Bible speaks against murder and for justice, so we are against murder and for justice. If someone asks how we feel about some war, we would be neutral about the cause behind the war, but we would not necessarily be neutral about the unjust bloodshed that invariably accompanies war, especially when our brothers and sisters are among those killed.

Just a thought, wouldn't it have been an amazing witness if he instructed everyone to look to Jehovah for real peace and justice??? He had the platform to do so, it would have changed it from advocating for change in the government to finding the truth.

He does exactly that at most if not all of his concerts. But that message doesn't fit with the media-approved narrative, so most of us have no way of knowing  what was said or unsaid at this event.

I think saying no more guns or violence would relate to the police being wrong for both people this rally was to honor. Each one of us have to account for our own actions, and the hard thing is that when a famous person does something in front of the media then they are opening me selves up for being looked at. Jehovah knows his heart, we don't and I love him as a brother even when I say I don't agree. We are all learning as we go and correcting our actions daily. I have always said that it must be so hard for him and other witnesses and I'm sure he will keep refining himself just like everyone else does. We can all pray for him to keep strong.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope he placed a book with the O's

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 10:05 AM, sunshine said:

If Prince were a regular brother in our congregation, how comfortable would we be about naming him in public and then analysing his personal decisions or spiritual standing.  

I know a sister, her name is Mary McCarthy, she is in the Georgetown congregation and I saw her going into a cinema with a man that was not her husband AND the film was not one I think was suitable for a christian.  I repeat her name is Mary McCarthy, from the Georgetown congregation.  What do you all think of her actions?  Please post your opinion on her on the internet.

Now I just made all that up (hope there isn't a sister McCarthy in a Georgetown congregation) but how did that feel to you?  It didn't feel right.  now I'm going to replace Mary McCarthy with Brother Nelson.  My point is, I don't know anything about Prince, I don't know if he is still an active witness or not, I don't know anything about this Rally, but while I do appreciate everyone can have their personal opinion on Rallys/demonstrations/concerts and I do appreciate input when I'm making a decision input about content from others I think we should be careful what we say about individuals, especially when they are members of our spiritual household.

Please forgive me if i came over as unduly harsh, I did not mean to be and this is NOT directed to any individual(s) in this thread, just a general comment.  

Agapé

Agree with this assessment 100%.:)

I think many of us wondered if our brother Prince was still faithful to his dedication to Jehovah. I certainly always hoped so and his behavior and lifestyle changes certainly suggested that he was.  But we had no way of knowing for sure.

Being in the public eye and having to carry the title of 'The World's Most Famous Jehovah's Witness' no doubt created challanges for him that others did not have and made him a target for discussion and second guessing about every move he made...even from his well meaning brothers and sisters.

Now, we have literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of articles and quotes from the famous and not so famous who all say his faith was at the center of his life and that he was certainly not shy about preaching and teaching others...be they other famous musicians, journalists, fans, or strangers in his neighborhood.

His fellow Bros and Sis in his home congregation knew that he traveled at times to tour but interviews from bodyguards and his drivers show us that he made it a point to get to a Kingdom Hall In whatever city he happened to find himself in.

But the friends also noted that when he was home, Prince was at BOTH weekly meetings, not just on Sunday. And was always prepared and ready to comment and participate. And yes, did share regularly in the ministry right up until the end.

It's clear from the teary eyed interviews with the elders in his congregation that he was loved deeply and was an important part of their congregation family. Well respected and nothing but good things to say about him.

No one knows what challenges he faced in his life, but it seems he was truly on the up and up and had a real love for Jehovah which everyone has come out and confirmed.

Think this is a good lesson for us in terms of not being too harsh on our Bros and sis and judging every move they make from the outside looking in.

How would we fare if  we were subjected to this from others?

Said brother or sister we're second guessing may well be in Jehovah's memory and in line for a resurrection while we may not make it there to welcome them back.:unsure: