JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3246 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is just an observation but I was thinking about the difference between the way many people treat their rulers compared to the way we feel about the GB.

In the USA it is common to have political satire cartoon, dolls, funny videos and caricatures of the president. Yet the GB manages a nation of over 8 million people and we don't even think of making a caricature or funny video of any of the GB, if it wasn't for this thread you probably never even thought about it!

We love and respect our dear brothers and that is just another contrast to the way the world treats it's rulers.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

i guess it is because we do not see the GB as our rulers. As you put it they are our Brothers, no different from us. They only have different responsibilities. 

That is true but their responsibilities make them highly visible. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That is true but their responsibilities make them highly visible. 

There is that, but then there is also the fact that those who have Jehovah's spirit are owed just a bit more respect than others.  

Please note I'm not saying we worship them, but when we see how King David responded regarding Saul (even though Saul was clearly in the wrong), it denoted David's respect for Jehovah's arrangement.  As we respect Jehovah, its the same thing.  

The only people who do satire against JW's are generally those who are apostates or those who have reason to hate us.  On the flip side though, there are yet others who just see the hilarity in certain things and they have no malicious intent.  I think there's a lot of those in the mix too.

For example, when I post things its usually because there is some element of humour in it that I find amusing, it's never meant to be derogatory or offensive.  Yet others certainly may view it that way.  

I have a Mr. Bean photo who is supposed to be acting as a JW on a householders cam.  He looks rather dorkish, yet it's not a representation that I think our brothers are dorks at the door, but rather how I feel about being on cam AT the door LOL.  

The GB, will have future assignments in heaven as "kings and priest". Right now the assignment that they have is called the "Faithful Steward" class. And they the GB, are also called the: "Faithful and Discrete Slave" class. And of course they are looking forward to the fulfilment of their heavenly calling...

Also, the world or those who are "alienated" from the "good news" and Jehovah God, do not know or care about the Bible's command and principle found at 1st Peter 2:17 which in part says: "....be in fear of God, honor the king (or anyone in a ruling or authoritve capacity.

Edited by Jackson

This thread puts me in mind of a part I had in the School awhile back.  I never got to give it because the meeting had to be cancelled on account of a bad ice storm.  

Carol, I’m so glad you could make it for coffee.  

(Carol looks down at all the papers on the table) What’s all that?  

I came across some timely reminders while I was preparing for my part in the School, and I printed some of them up.  When I typed ‘Abiram’ into the Watchtower Library’s search engine it led me to article after article, warning us of the danger of disrespecting Jehovah’s authority.  (Passes paper to Carol)

(Carol reads aloud) Since Jehovah uses imperfect men to represent him within his earthly organization, it becomes difficult for some to recognize and respect theocratic authority. These lose sight of the fact that it is Jehovah who appoints such individuals and they begin to see only the weak, imperfect man. Instead of respecting the position held by a brother, they quickly complain when he makes some minor error because of his inherited shortcomings. This is a grave mistake.   

Remind you of anyone?

(Carol nods.) Sister Thick.  Boy, she really resents Brother Abrupt for having the audacity to counsel her about her children’s rowdy behavior before and after meetings.  But, you know, I can sort a’ see her point.  I mean, Brother Abrupt’s boys aren’t exactly angels, themselves.  

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Korah, Dathan and Abiram.  But, you’re right.  If we’re not careful, we could make the same grave mistake those rebels did.  The search engine also led me to a video and an accompanying article.  I was planning to watch it later, but if you have the time, we could watch it right now, because I happen to have it right here on my tablet.  

Sure.  

This is the article that accompanied the Bible drama’s release. (passes Carol another sheet of paper) The article is entitled: We Must Respect Jehovah’s Authority. 

(Carol reads aloud) With what do you associate the ancient names Korah, Dathan, and Abiram? Rebellion! Against what? Godly authority. The details of their tragic course are recorded in Numbers chapter 16.  You would find it beneficial to view the sobering portrayal of their rebellion in the video Respect Jehovah’s Authority.  

And what questions does the article ask us to keep in mind as we watch this Bible drama?  

How should WE react to the imperfections of those appointed to take the lead? and What should WE do if a complaining spirit begins to develop in OUR heart?  

Now, with those questions in mind… (pretend to watch video) Wow! As this Bible drama clearly shows, it was really Jehovah who was being treated disrespectfully, wasn’t it. 

Yes.

I was making some “Year text” key chains the other day, and it made me think of another way to clearly show this.  Would you care to see what I came up with?

Sure.  

Okay, then I need you to be the ‘hand of God’. 

(Carol takes top link of the chain) 

(Rosanne presents chain of command demo showing Korah trying to replace Aaron's link and Dathan and Abiram trying to replace Moses' link. Rosanne then replaces that chain with a longer one) Today, just as back then, there are millions of Jehovah’s worshippers here on earth.  (chain of command demo is repeated with Carol's hand representing Jehovah's) Jehovah God has granted the Greater Moses, Jesus, the authority to govern his modern-day people.(1st link) In turn, Jesus has passed a portion of his God-given authority on to his Faithful and Discreet Slave, the Governing Body.(2nd link)  The Governing Body delegates their God-given authority to Branch Committees, regional overseers, circuit overseers, and to each of the elders within the nearly 114,000 congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide.(links 3, 4, 5 & 6)  All of these devoted Christian men deserve our support and respect because their authority originates from--?(tug on links) 

(Carol's/Jehovah's hand is jerked) The ‘hand of God’.  

Exactly.  And when we complain about, or show disrespect for one of them, who are we also complaining about and showing disrespect for? (tugs on links again)

(Again Carol’s /Jehovah’s hand jerks) Jehovah God. 

Right.  And, remember those two questions we were supposed to keep in mind as we watched the drama?  The answers are in the last sentence of that first article I handed you.  

(Carol reads the last sentence aloud) Therefore, in order to overcome a complaining tendency, we need to build up our faith in Jehovah and his organization, getting a deeper insight and a mature understanding by personal study, prayer and close association with his people. Each of us needs to resolve in our heart to never make the same fatal mistake as Korah, Dathan and Abiram, by complaining against Jehovah’s appointed representatives.   

And, that's why we need to be so careful, because we would never want to find ourselves jerking Jehovah’s ‘chain’...so to speak. 

In case you haven't guessed by now, my setting was: an older sister counseling a younger sister, and my counsel point was: the effective use of visual aids.  :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

This thread puts me in mind of a part I had in the School awhile back.  I never got to give it because the meeting had to be cancelled on account of a bad ice storm.  

It looks like a good talk, too bad it was cancelled.

I started this thread because we all feel the same way about the dear brothers that Jehovah has given the responsibility to feed us spiritually. In the world, someone as highly visible as the GB would be targets of satire even among their supports but in Jehovah's organization we wouldn't even consider disrespecting the GB and it doesn't stop there, we love and respect all of the brothers and sisters in the organization.

I think it is just another example of how Jehovah teaches us to love and respect each other.

BTW: The "Members Of JWTalks" bobble-head dolls will be on sale soon.  :lol:  

I came across some timely reminders while I was preparing for my part in the School, and I printed some of them up.  When I typed ‘Abiram’ into the Watchtower Library’s search engine it led me to article after article, warning us of the danger of disrespecting Jehovah’s authority.  (Passes paper to Carol)

(Carol reads aloud) Since Jehovah uses imperfect men to represent him within his earthly organization, it becomes difficult for some to recognize and respect theocratic authority. These lose sight of the fact that it is Jehovah who appoints such individuals and they begin to see only the weak, imperfect man. Instead of respecting the position held by a brother, they quickly complain when he makes some minor error because of his inherited shortcomings. This is a grave mistake.   

Remind you of anyone?

(Carol nods.) Sister Thick.  Boy, she really resents Brother Abrupt for having the audacity to counsel her about her children’s rowdy behavior before and after meetings.  But, you know, I can sort a’ see her point.  I mean, Brother Abrupt’s boys aren’t exactly angels, themselves.  

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Korah, Dathan and Abiram.  But, you’re right.  If we’re not careful, we could make the same grave mistake those rebels did.  The search engine also led me to a video and an accompanying article.  I was planning to watch it later, but if you have the time, we could watch it right now, because I happen to have it right here on my tablet.  

Sure.  

This is the article that accompanied the Bible drama’s release. (passes Carol another sheet of paper) The article is entitled: We Must Respect Jehovah’s Authority. 

(Carol reads aloud) With what do you associate the ancient names Korah, Dathan, and Abiram? Rebellion! Against what? Godly authority. The details of their tragic course are recorded in Numbers chapter 16.  You would find it beneficial to view the sobering portrayal of their rebellion in the video Respect Jehovah’s Authority.  

And what questions does the article ask us to keep in mind as we watch this Bible drama?  

How should WE react to the imperfections of those appointed to take the lead? and What should WE do if a complaining spirit begins to develop in OUR heart?  

Now, with those questions in mind… (pretend to watch video) Wow! As this Bible drama clearly shows, it was really Jehovah who was being treated disrespectfully, wasn’t it. 

Yes.

I was making some “Year text” key chains the other day, and it made me think of another way to clearly show this.  Would you care to see what I came up with?

Sure.  

(Rosanne presents chain of command demo showing Korah trying to replace Aaron's link and Dathan and Abiram trying to replace Moses' link. Rosanne then replaces that chain with a longer one) Today, just as back then, there are millions of Jehovah’s worshippers here on earth.  (chain of command demo is repeated with Carol's hand representing Jehovah's) Jehovah God has granted the Greater Moses, Jesus, the authority to govern his modern-day people.(1st link) In turn, Jesus has passed a portion of his God-given authority on to his Faithful and Discreet Slave, the Governing Body.(2nd link)  The Governing Body delegates their God-given authority to Branch Committees, regional overseers, circuit overseers, and to each of the elders within the nearly 114,000 congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide.(links 3, 4, 5 & 6)  All of these devoted Christian men deserve our support and respect because their authority originates from--?(tug on links) 

Exactly.  And when we complain about, or show disrespect for one of them, who are we also complaining about and showing disrespect for? (tugs on links again)

Right.  And, remember those two questions we were supposed to keep in mind as we watched the drama?  The answers are in the last sentence of that first article I handed you.  

(Carol reads the last sentence aloud) Therefore, in order to overcome a complaining tendency, we need to build up our faith in Jehovah and his organization, getting a deeper insight and a mature understanding by personal study, prayer and close association with his people. Each of us needs to resolve in our heart to never make the same fatal mistake as Korah, Dathan and Abiram, by complaining against Jehovah’s appointed representatives.   

And, that's why we need to be so careful, because we would never want to find ourselves jerking Jehovah’s ‘chain’...so to speak. 

In case you haven't guessed by now, my setting was: an older sister counseling a younger sister, and my counsel point was: the effective use of visual aids.  :D

Veeeeeeerrrry niiiice talk sis. Carole! Appreciate you sharing it! Ten thumbs up sis! :)

I think it is just another example of how Jehovah teaches us to love and respect each other.

BTW: The "Members Of JWTalks" bobble-head dolls will be on sale soon.  :lol:  

:lol1: Can we pre-order?  Paypal?  Or Mastercard? :D

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Thanks, Sister Jackie/Jackson.  :flowers: 

Hmmmm...And I thought that I was 'all thumbs'... :whistling:  :D

You're welcome Rosanne! Lol! I got the names mixed up. Meant to say your name sis. I appreciate you graciously not making a big deal about it thank you sid. My mistake! Reading your talk was like being at an assembly.

You're welcome Rosanne! Lol! I got the names mixed up. Meant to say your name sis. I appreciate you graciously not making a big deal about it thank you sid. My mistake! Reading your talk was like being at an assembly.

No problem.  I got Sister Gabe and 1gemstone mixed up on the 'Any Other Bee Gees Fans On This Message Board' thread.  

:blush: 

With all the names and nicknames, it's a wonder any of us can keep up with who's who.  :D 

I hope you didn't mind my really bad joke about the ten thumbs.  I'm afraid I am a purveyor of really bad puns/jokes.  :uhhuh:

Thanks again, Jackie! :)    I worked really hard on my talk and have always wondered what the Brother in charge of the School

would have thought of it. :shrugs: 

I used two different visual aids, so he should have marked me good in that, at least.  :D

Remind you of anyone?

Sure.  

Yes.

Sure.  

Can I borrow this for my next talk?  I have a part in June and it's on counseling but based on Cain.