JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

angels and women

Our organization doesn’t review specific movies, books, or songs so as to rule on what our members should avoid. Why not?

The Bible encourages each individual to train his “perceptive powers” to discern right and wrong.—Hebrews 5:14.

The Scriptures set forth basic principles that a Christian can weigh when selecting entertainment. * As with all areas of life, our goal is to “keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.”—Ephesians 5:10.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/do-jehovahs-witnesses-ban-certain-entertainment/#?insight"

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I heard it was a fictional book but I also read that they feel it was influenced by fallen angels my wife read it and after the 1page it seems Intresting any comments?

Angels and Women (1924). This book is a revision of the book Seola by Mrs. J.G. Smith. According to The Golden Age magazine (Oct. 27, 1924 p. 35 and Golden Age, July 30, 1924 p. 702), published by the Watchtower Society (Jehovah's Witnesses), Seola was revised at the suggestion of Charles Taze Russell and published as this volume. Editions of the book at the headquarters of the Watchtower Society (Bethel library) state: "Introduction by J.F.R. [Joseph F. Rutherford]. Appendix by C.J.W. [Clayton J. Woodworth]. Written by a brother had been long in the service, was incapacitated, and sought to provide for himself by thus "indirectly" presenting some valuable information. Not altogether up to date, as "Angels" booklet and other information supplements and revises what this work contain

Is this the book you speak of?  I did a google search of the title 'Angels and women'

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

If it is, read the foreward of page 5.  I swear the hairs on the back of my arms STOOD on end when I read this phrase

"The reviser of this book is of the opinion that the original manuscript was dictated to the woman who wrote it by one of the fallen angels who wanted to return to divine favor".

It speaks of how the imprisoned angels still can influence human behaviour through spiritism and by those who are willing dupes to spirit mediums.

It goes on to state that the understanding of how  Satan and the demons operate will help to forearm us against such influences.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I am reading it now. There is a lot of 'accurate knowledge' such as the angel guarding the garden, references Jehovah. Speaks of Satans (santanas as he is referred to in the book)

I am out of the house to grab a coffee, but it is an eye opening read. It discusses how the demons killed the husbands and then offered comfort and support to the grieving widows. Another thing that made the hairs on the back of my arms stand up.

It is 'fairly factual' written before we stopped celebrating birthdays, or perhaps more to keep to the original story line.

I will leave it up to your discretion to read, but as I said some of the sentences are almost chilling in their accuracy as to what we know. And the way the demons are enticing the women, I know their lures all too well, as I came out of the world and know for certain these are methods I've experienced them employing.

I have absolutely no desire to read anything about demons, even IF it is written or whatever by one of the friends. Any and all information about the demons is written in Jehovah's inspired writings that we know is known by the words "Holy Bible." Anything outside of that, for me...I have no right to dictate to anyone else...is dangerous. Jehovah says at 2 Tim. 3:16 that "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness..."

Of course there are other materials that can teach us many things and the slave often quotes from different sources. Sometimes I may even visit libraries, and book stores to do further research. Yet, when it comes to demons and things of that nature, I think it's safe to stick SOLELY with the information in the Bible and its publications.

Also, though they (demons) can't read our minds and hearts, they can grasp a good deal about what is in our minds and hearts just by observing us and watching what we read, listening to what we talk about, etc. They are studying us. Sooo, do we think we're putting ourselves in harm's way by getting involved with them by material about them that has not even been released by the slave? If this book is so good (and safe), why has it not been released at a convention for all of Jehovah's servants?

Not to start an argument ....but it was released at a convention and I just listen to a talk on central print by Samuel herd today and he talked about how good the book was....buts its a old book I just asked who has read it our conscious vary so I will leave it at that.

Edited by navco

its in the kingdom proclaimers book.

Would you mind telling us what page - as I can't find a reference to that in the Proclaimers book nor anything about its release at a convention?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Before someone is lapidated here, some background information.

"Angels and Women" is not a book of demonic propaganda. It's a novel written by a brother in the twenties as a recreation of events that led to the Flood. Or rather, a revision of such a previous novel, titled "Seola" and published in 1878. Today we would call it historical fiction. It describes a historical period although most of the facts it narrates are fictional.

Brother Russell read that book and liked it, since it contained many details that agreed with the Bible. So when a brother prepared a revision adapted to the beliefs of Bible Students, he helped that brother to publish it. The book was offered to Bible Students at a special price.

We can question the accuracy of that book and its usefulness for Witnesses today. Someone could find it interesting while others could find it a waste of time. But calling it demonic propaganda is simply unfair. It was a novel recommended by our publications at the time. (But not, it's not quoted in the Proclaimers book or any other recent publication.)

This is a review of "Angels and Women" from The Golden Age (today Awake!), July 30, 1924 p. 702, quoted by Sharon above (I cropped the article directly from the magazine myself, didn't copy it from somewhere else):

post-3805-0-70595600-1431892188_thumb.jp

Edited by cvillarrubia

Before someone is lapidated here, some background information.

"Angels and Women" is not a book of demonic propaganda. It's a novel written by a brother in the twenties as a recreation of events that led to the Flood. Or rather, a revision of such a previous novel, titled "Seola" and published in 1878. Today we would call it historical fiction. It describes a historical period although most of the facts it narrates are fictional.

Brother Russell read that book and liked it, since it contained many details that agreed with the Bible. So when a brother prepared a revision adapted to the beliefs of Bible Students, he helped that brother to publish it. The book was offered to Bible Students at a special price.

We can question the accuracy of that book and its usefulness for Witnesses today. Someone could find it interesting while others could find it a waste of time. But calling it demonic propaganda is simply unfair. It was a novel recommended by our publications at the time. (But not, it's not quoted in the Proclaimers book or any other recent publication.)

This is a review of "Angels and Women" from The Golden Age (today Awake!), July 30, 1924 p. 702, quoted by Sharon above (I cropped the article directly from the magazine myself, didn't copy it from somewhere else):

attachicon.gifgoldenage.jpg

my mistake it was in  watchtower but not the kingdom proclaimer book my mistake .

I just listen to a talk on central print by Samuel herd today and he talked about how good the book was....

Could you share the title of the talk please? Several of the talks on Central Print attributed to "Samuel Herd" are really other speakers and wrongly attributed to brother Herd.

As to the content of the book, not everything printed by the branch remains proper spiritual food. For example, brother Russell taught pyramidology, a belief that was officially ended in 1928. While the studies are fascinating, any calculations adding to 1914 are purely coincidental, and should not be taken as fact.

The Forward of the book is very clear as to its source and content. (See image of page 5 attached below.) Between the professed source of the book, and the direct admission that the book is a study in demonism (which we are now told to avoid entirely), I wouldn't make the book part of my regular study.

post-5246-0-91468500-1431893199.png

So, no this was not released at a convention and not printed by the WTB&S. But rather by a brother - similar to us recommending "All Things New" http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/17544-all-things-new-book/

A book written by a brother.

So, I am confused, the original poster (OP) asked what the slave's position on the book was while all along knowing? What was the point in that - to get others looking at info about it, to be curious to read it? Why not just be truthful and recommend it or not?

Edit: I am moving this to the "book" forum.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Could you share the title of the talk please? Several of the talks on Central Print attributed to "Samuel Herd" are really other speakers and wrongly attributed to brother Herd.

As to the content of the book, not everything printed by the branch remains proper spiritual food. For example, brother Russell taught pyramidology, a belief that was officially ended in 1928. While the studies are fascinating, any calculations adding to 1914 are purely coincidental, and should not be taken as fact.

The Forward of the book is very clear as to its source and content. (See image of page 5 attached below.) Between the professed source of the book, and the direct admission that the book is a study in demonism (which we are now told to avoid entirely), I wouldn't make the book part of my regular study.

attachicon.gifForward.PNG

samuel herd giants talk. i regret making this topic...........

Edited by navco

It was just an odd way to start one. There isn't anything wrong with the topic itself. Many have asked about all kinds of books.

Soon .....