JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Al-Khwarizmi, Father of Algebra

In the May Awake! there is an article on Al-Khwarizmi, the father of algebra. Normally I wouldn't pay much attention to that, but for some reason I decided to see if there was a documentary on him. I found this 3-hour BBC Documentary "Science and Islam", which mentions him at the end of the first episode. It's interesting to see how they 'discovered' math.

I started tutoring math when I was seven and long ago looked up the background of the word algebra, and found the etymology to be defined as ancient "bone-setting." Of course,over the years, I had come across Al-Khwarizmi and believed that he lent his name to algorithms. "Ancient bone-setting"  made sense to me, as in an equation, one could examine one side of the body, an arm for instance, and compare it to the other side for abnormalities. So which is it? Both. "It is interesting to note that the word al-jabr used non-mathematically made its way into Europe through the Moors of Spain. There an algebrista is a bonesetter, or "restorer" of bones. A barber of medieval times called himself an algebrista since barbers often did bone-setting and bloodletting on the side. Hence the red and white striped barber poles of today." from," The Origin of the word, Algebra"

Fibonnaci wasn't really named Fibonnaci, Pythagorus didn't really discover the pythagorean theorem; George Washington Carver did not discover the Peanut: Columbus didn't discover America. So many untruths we learned in school. I am ecstatically happy for the Bible. The real truth will set us free.  p.s. I do like that Al-Khwarizimi drew pictures of his algebraic proofs, especially the one for completing the square. I will try that if I ever teach Algebra again.  Thanks for commenting on this, Boodles. There are probably many people in our territory that were drawn to this article, especially homeschooling parents who are using our literature as the skeleton for their curricula. 

Carver also did not invent peanut butter but he did do more than anyone else to promote the peanut as a main crop

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 4 weeks later...

Professor Jim Alkalili does programs every morning on BBC Radio 4 here in UK. He opens our eyes to scientists all around the world by interviewing them on his radio program and discussing their work and discoveries - It can be fascinating. When you are at school you get a very UK or Eurocentric view of the world, so it's good to hear of others' research work elsewhere.

• 2 years later...

In the Awake! No. 6, 2017 there is an article about Alhazen, a scientist. It talks about how he wrote The Book of Optics, built the first recorded Camera Obscura, and is considered by some to be the father of the scientific method.

I went back and found in the BBC Documentary Science and Islam where it talks about him and his contributions to science. It's a little after the 1:43 point. You probably have to jump to that spot in the documentary.

BBC Documentary Science and Islam

Edited by boodles