JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

Clueless. Reminds me of a French carpenter who couldn't finish his job.

He didn't have a Clous 

( for those who are clueless :shrugs:  about a clous - it is a nail ) :bouncing:

Good job, you really nailed it... :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

English Lit re-Writ: What would Dickens have been going to write if he would not have been having great expectations? "I am the ghost of xmas future imperfect," said the spirit. "I bring news of what would have been going to happen if you were not to have been going to change your ways." Mebbe, mebbe not, obsequiously and umbly,

Uriah Heep (or someone else)

Edited by kejedo

• 6 months later...

My husb made youngest son eat alligator meat, by telling him it was chicken. I haven't tried 'gator, but haven't  necessarily ruled it out either. See ya Later, Slater 

Y (saved by the bell)S

Reading a previous post, and the info on Oceania, reminded me of this:

They say it's terrific, to sail the blue Pacific, to see the world by freighter or by tramps.

But eating mango, or papaya, whether in Figi, or  Hawaii,  give me nothing but a bellyache and cramps.

So, keep your isles terrific, whether Atlantic or Pacific, where the vegetation is tropical and lush.

Just get  me back to Jersey, where the traffic is really noisy, and  bathrooms where the toilets really flush!

• 2 weeks later...

MizPeg, your beautiful rhyme made me think of a list of words that may have a reason, but not necessarily a rhyme. (in alpha order)

bulb,  dreamt,  druggist, exit, film, hundred, hungry, infant, month, noisy, nothing, orange, purple, silver, sixth, tablet, wasp, Wednesday, zebra.

(Actually, I was going to write a short paragraph using all these words and have people guess what 90 percent of the words had in common, but I decided to just give the info away. If anyone would like to use a rhyme scheme built around un-rhymable US English words, I'd love to read it. )

Y (iambic pentameter) S 

Actually,I think   'tempt' is a close cousin of 'dreamt.'  Any one else who can find a rhyme or close call is invited to enrich this word thirsty person. Or is it hungry for nothing?

Y (word nerd) S

• 4 months later...

A brother at our meeting today had a hand made wooden bow tie. It was made for him from a specific type of wood, but I didn't catch the complete story. He and his wife both looked smashing. They were Bethelites who moved around a bit, but after today, they are moving back to Minnesooota, dontcha know? 

Just now, kejedo said:

A brother at our meeting today had a hand made wooden bow tie. It was made for him from a specific type of wood, but I didn't catch the complete story. He and his wife both looked smashing. They were Bethelites who moved around a bit, but after today, they are moving back to Minnesooota, dontcha know? 

I've seen some nice wood and metal bowties. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 4 months later...

Many of all the known elements found in the human body.

Oxygen (65%) and hydrogen (10%) are predominantly found in water, which makes up about 60 percent of the body by weight. It's practically impossible to imagine life without water.

Carbon (18%) is synonymous with life. Its central role is due to the fact that it has four bonding sites that allow for the building of long, complex chains of molecules. Moreover, carbon bonds can be formed and broken with a modest amount of energy, allowing for the dynamic organic chemistry that goes on in our cells.

Nitrogen (3%) is found in many organic molecules, including the amino acids that make up proteins, and the nucleic acids that make up DNA.

Calcium (1.5%) is the most common mineral in the human body — nearly all of it found in bones and teeth. Ironically, calcium's most important role is in bodily functions, such as muscle contraction and protein regulation. In fact, the body will actually pull calcium from bones (causing problems like osteoporosis) if there's not enough of the element in a person's diet.

Phosphorus (1%) is found predominantly in bone but also in the molecule ATP, which provides energy in cells for driving chemical reactions.

Potassium (0.25%) is an important electrolyte (meaning it carries a charge in solution). It helps regulate the heartbeat and is vital for electrical signaling in nerves.

Sulfur (0.25%) is found in two amino acids that are important for giving proteins their shape.

Sodium (0.15%) is another electrolyte that is vital for electrical signaling in nerves. It also regulates the amount of water in the body.

Chlorine (0.15%) is usually found in the body as a negative ion, called chloride. This electrolyte is important for maintaining a normal balance of fluids.

Magnesium (0.05%) plays an important role in the structure of the skeleton and muscles. It also is necessary in more than 300 essential metabolic reactions.

Iron (0.006%) is a key element in the metabolism of almost all living organisms. It is also found in hemoglobin, which is the oxygen carrier in red blood cells. Half of women don't get enough iron in their diet.

Fluorine (0.0037%) is found in teeth and bones. Outside of preventing tooth decay, it does not appear to have any importance to bodily health.

Zinc (0.0032%) is an essential trace element for all forms of life. Several proteins contain structures called "zinc fingers" help to regulate genes. Zinc deficiency has been known to lead to dwarfism in developing countries.

Copper (0.0001%) is important as an electron donor in various biological reactions. Without enough copper, iron won't work properly in the body.

Iodine (0.000016%) is required for making of thyroid hormones, which regulate metabolic rate and other cellular functions. Iodine deficiency, which can lead to goiter and brain damage, is an important health problem throughout much of the world.

Selenium (0.000019%) is essential for certain enzymes, including several anti-oxidants. Unlike animals, plants do not appear to require selenium for survival, but they do absorb it, so there are several cases of selenium poisoning from eating plants grown in selenium-rich soils.

Chromium (0.0000024%) helps regulate sugar levels by interacting with insulin, but the exact mechanism is still not completely understood.

Manganese (0.000017%) is essential for certain enzymes, in particular those that protect mitochondria — the place where usable energy is generated inside cells — from dangerous oxidants.

Molybdenum (0.000013%) is essential to virtually all life forms. In humans, it is important for transforming sulfur into a usable form. In nitrogen-fixing bacteria, it is important for transforming nitrogen into a usable form.

Cobalt (0.0000021%) is contained in vitamin B12, which is important in protein formation and DNA regulation

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Many of all the known elements found in the human body.
Oxygen Carbon - Nitrogen - Calcium - Phosphorus - Potassium - Sulfur - Sodium - Chlorine - Magnesium - Iron - Fluorine - Zinc - Copper - Iodine - Selenium - Chromium - Manganese - Molybdenum - Cobalt

Wasn't there a Star Trek episode with piles of that on the floor?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone from partially watching The Sky at Night on BBC, to Fast Radio Bursts on Wikipedia, then to this strange article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peryton_(astronomy)

So,

Spoiler

be careful where you reheat your tea.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 15/05/2017 at 11:21 PM, ChrisTheConfused said:

I've gone from partially watching The Sky at Night on BBC, to Fast Radio Bursts on Wikipedia, then to this strange article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peryton_(astronomy)

So,

Reveal hidden contents

be careful where you reheat your tea.

There is a programme on BBC iPlayer:

"Horizon, 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space!"

90% padding though.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

"Oh. Just take it out of the petty cash."

"White House denies 'egregious' budget accounting error"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40023720

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

No one wished me a happy turtle day yesterday. ..:(

https://www.worldturtleday.org/

Nope. I picked up a tortoise in someone's garden once and it peed on my foot.

2 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Nope. I picked up a tortoise in someone's garden once and it peed on my foot.

I heard about that. I heard that he tried to warn you but you picked him up anyway...:tsk: