JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

4 minutes ago, Dove said:

Yes, I did find something in a local beverage store called, 'Our Daily Red'. It's an organic red blend without preservatives, no detectable sulphites, vegan, 12.4% alcohol, vinted and bottled in Sonoma, California. 25 oz. for 8.99.

It's good tasting and hearty. I sometimes add a little water..:)

Oh, I've heard of that. I heard it was good.

http://www.ourdailyred.com/

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

37 minutes ago, Dove said:

I'm wondering what is in the box? Red wine teabags?  Wouldn't that be cool....:D

Have you tried wine in a box? The wine is in a plastic bag so air doesn't get in.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

26 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Have you tried wine in a box? The wine is in a plastic bag so air doesn't get in.

You mean Black Box? Yes, I have and it's pretty good too..:) Our Daily Red says to use it up within 24 hrs but I didn't and ended up throwing away half a bottle. But the Black Box does last quite a while after opening. There's even a large size that sits on the counter with a spigot..:lol:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I'm kind of partial to wine that comes in a glass bottle..prefer glass for almost any kind of packaging...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

9 hours ago, stuagu said:

So... if i post "on topic" will that be off topic as off topic will be on topic? Or is it the other way round ? Or is my name susan ? Or is that the old me ? Am i on topic for being off topic in which case an on topic warning should be issued surely? Mmmmm 

Yes.

:Dlove you man, youa cracka me uppa....

Edited by tekmantwo

I've had some sort of... revelation today. Regarding my blood phobia, the past, labels, frameworks. 

I have had issues with blood for years, since childhood, fainting episodes would accompany. Of late it played upon my anxiety and obsessive thinking. I was stuck thinking about the inside of my body all the time, that I could "not escape blood", that I would have to live in constant fear of what was quite frankly normal. (Hence phobia = irrational fear). I would look at my body with anxiety, as if I had x-ray vision and start getting uncomfortable with my insides, afraid that if I kept thinking about it I'd pass out or something. 

Today though, I looked at blood images in google, but I tried to framework it differently.. I said to myself "it's paint", and.. in seconds, my emotional state shifted so dramatically, in that I could look at these images without an issue. Because I frame worked it, changed my perception. Because what else is blood but just a red liquid? I fear no other red liquids.  

From childhood, I learned the fear from an accident. Ever since that time I would panic at blood, I did not faint in very early childhood at it, but it used to frighten me and I'd freak out, and in reaction my mother would be frightened for me and get stressed. I came to rely on carrying plasters (band aids) everywhere as comfort blanket, for her and me. As years went by  I then experienced fainting spells. My fear then became fear of fainting at blood and as a result fear of blood. 

But now it's as if I can look back to it, like you do looking back to silly memories of being scared of monsters under the bed. Quite a mental shift happening. I won't say it's an instant cure... because learned instincts are hard to break, but who knows? It's almost as if.. the blood I feared no longer exists in this world, but has been replaced by something else, a new red liquid that I'm not afraid of, but is still blood... crazy!

Part of me is thinking "don't hold your breath, it's only a one off, early days", but I also think that might be negative thinking, that a part of the phobic area of my brain is trying to hang on perhaps and telling me "you're not over it, and should still be afraid!" So, there is fear perhaps of that in it's self, that my irrational fear will remain, but I don't know, if I can do what I did.. it's a very powerful thing... 

Reviling the filing: One of my sons is planning to come help me reorganize my filing "systems." After teaching for about 35 years, being married for almost 40 years, and still preparing tax returns for friends and relatives,  I need a complete overhaul. Given, I'm going to check to assure official papers are copied and in my go bag.  Before I start, I would like to have a plan of action, as I have tried to attack this before and have been overwhelmed.  My current situation seems (to others) better organized than it really is. Yes, I am able to find things in a W.C. Fields sort of way, but need to streamline my approach. I also have a wand scanner and would like some advice on what makes sense to scan vs keeping hard copies. My son suggests using my printer to scan. There are some expensive home offices available online, but that is not what I'm intending to do. 

Y (better piler than a filer) S   

22 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Given, I'm going to check to assure official papers are copied and in my go bag.

We keep a go-bag in each vehicle and I do not include any paperwork that might have confidential information in it. I decided to scan all of my documents and password protect them, then store them on two separate cloud services.

• 3 weeks later...

Cra

2 hours ago, kejedo said:

Was just looking for my olfa knife for a wallpapering project I will do in a few days." Olfa" knife is an eponym for snap-off-blade. What eponyms are you familiar with? 

Craft knife with the snapie-offie-endie...really:huh:

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Double word score: Is there a correct choice? Depends. Here's a few from a variety of dictionaries and grammarians:

Preventive vs preventative "Preventative is a troublesome word, which is why I also included an entry about it in my book 101 Troublesome Words "(Grammar Girl). "It’s troublesome because some reference books say it’s fine and others say it’s bad. You can choose to use the sleeker word, preventive, and I encourage you to choose preventive so you don’t annoy people like Karissa (in an online reply), but you also shouldn’t chide people who prefer the longer word because it isn’t actually wrong; it’s just less popular."

Empathic is usually just a variant of empathetic, which means characterized by empathy. Some dictionaries, especially American ones, list empathic as the standard word and empathetic as the variant, but while the shorter word is indeed the original, empathetic has prevailed—probably due to analogy with sympathetic, with which it is often closely associated—and is now about five times as common as empathic in newswriting, blogs, and mainstream books from throughout the English-speaking world.

Commenter versus commentator. What's the dif? One difference is that as far as Merriam-Webster is concerned, the word "commentor" does not exist, nor does "commenter." Other sources of etymology suggest that commenter is the original word, but unlike the quest for sleekness, commentator arose from the notion that sports spokespersons wanted a more important sounding title. If that's true, it's a bit pathic (or is it pathetic? Or neither?)    

May you all contribute and entertain well sustained and thoughtful comments at Sunday's meeting.  

Y(not chiding) S 

Edited by kejedo

3 hours ago, kejedo said:

Double word score: Is there a correct choice? Depends. Here's a few from a variety of dictionaries and grammarians:

Preventive vs preventative "Preventative is a troublesome word, which is why I also included an entry about it in my book 101 Troublesome Words "(Grammar Girl). "It’s troublesome because some reference books say it’s fine and others say it’s bad. You can choose to use the sleeker word, preventive, and I encourage you to choose preventive so you don’t annoy people like Karissa (in an online reply), but you also shouldn’t chide people who prefer the longer word because it isn’t actually wrong; it’s just less popular."

Empathic is usually just a variant of empathetic, which means characterized by empathy. Some dictionaries, especially American ones, list empathic as the standard word and empathetic as the variant, but while the shorter word is indeed the original, empathetic has prevailed—probably due to analogy with sympathetic, with which it is often closely associated—and is now about five times as common as empathic in newswriting, blogs, and mainstream books from throughout the English-speaking world.

Commenter versus commentator. What's the dif? One difference is that as far as Merriam-Webster is concerned, the word "commentor" does not exist, nor does "commenter." Other sources of etymology suggest that commenter is the original word, but unlike the quest for sleekness, commentator arose from the notion that sports spokespersons wanted a more important sounding title. If that's true, it's a bit pathic (or is it pathetic? Or neither?)    

May you all contribute and entertain well sustained and thoughtful comments at Sunday's meeting.  

Y(not chiding) S 

Realy?  :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 hours ago, kejedo said:

Frigidaire, Q-tip, Kleenex

Interesting ... 

An eponym is a person (real or fictitious) from whom a discovery, invention, place, etc., is named 

Not sure there is a person named Kleenex or Q-Tip

Now, if we are including proprietary eponyms and/or generic trademarks - that's different (Proprietary Eponym -  is a trademark or brand name that, due to its popularity or significance, has become the generic name for, or synonymous with, a general class of product or service, usually against the intentions of the trademark's holder. The process of a product's name becoming genericized is known as genericide)

I would have included:

Skill Saw (circular saw)

Vice Grips (vice-locking pliers)

Crescent Wrench (adjustable wrench)

Channel Locks (water pump pliers)

Kleins (electricians pliers)

Super Glue (any extremely tight bonding glue)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

23 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Interesting ... 

An eponym is a person (real or fictitious) from whom a discovery, invention, place, etc., is named 

Now, if we are including proprietary eponyms and/or generic trademarks - that's different (Proprietary Eponym -  is a trademark or brand name that, due to its popularity or significance, has become the generic name for, or synonymous with, a general class of product or service, usually against the intentions of the trademark's holder. The process of a product's name becoming genericized is known as genericide)

I would have included:

Skill Saw (circular saw)

Yes, I was thinking of Proprietary Eponyms. Wiki uses 'things'  as well as people that other things are named for. I would never deliberately commit genericide.

Y( loves the Pauline letters) S

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Interesting ... 

I would have included:

Skill Saw (circular saw)

Band-Aids (adhesive bandages)

Levi's (denim pants)

Sharpie (permeant marker)

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, EccentricM said:

I've just realised I've been up for nearly 21 hours now and counting... 

How am I still alive? Lol.

Welcome to my world, 36 or more isn't unusual for me.:(

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34