JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

1 hour ago, kejedo said:

Blood is either red or darker red. Veins appear to blue due to that visual effect, which you alluded to. 

Yeah it's interesting. My question in another way of putting it is... if light is absent, does colour still exist? Now, this is similar to the philosophical riddle "if a tree falls, but nobody was around to hear , did it make a sound?" 

Of course, I'd say yes, if nobody heard it, it still made a sound because sound waves still were present at the place of impact wherever it was. To say otherwise would be to say "when God was alone before all other things, did he exist with nobody to observe him?" Obviously, yes he did, and in the same way the tree "did" make a sound.  

However, for my question, it's less philosophical and more based upon actual science. Without light, no colour can be seen. The definition of colour is when light reflects off an object in a certain wave length.  

light-arrow-reflection.jpg

So, if there is no light, there is no colour to be observed, as that's the only way we get colour. Each object has a defined colour and is objective in accordance to the light it is shown in. In day light, a shirt may always be "x" colour. But in a neon room, it may change, and if the world was neon and normal daylight was considered the "oddity" then our objective definition of colour would change.  

We all see the same colours (unless colourblind), and we can gauge that we all do by the effects on mood, lighting and so on that each colour has on the majority of people. So we can say that colours are not subjective in a sense, but we can say colour is subjective to the "source of light" it reflects from. In daylight, my shirt will always be white, in a neon room, it will always be blue. So, is my shirt blue or white? Well, we say white because we judge "real colour" by "natural light", but what natural light is, is subjective to where you are, maybe there is a planet somewhere where light is different? 

If you go to space, the sun will appear white, even though it is yellow, orange and red on Earth because of the way the light waves travel through the atmosphere. So, is it white, or yellow/orange/red? We know it's both, just depending on where you are, but we all will see the same thing, making it objective (locationally). 

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/activities/GreenSun.html This article says the sun is "all" colours. 

So light is objective 'and' subjective.

So, if colour is defined by the waves it travels through, that the sun is always yellow here, always white in space. My shirt white in daylight but always blue in neon. Where there is no light at all, is it really colourless? Hence why I make the statement that blood inside the body must be black, until an external light source changes it as colour is defined by the light that reflects off of the object.   

Edited by EccentricM

Is there a sound to one hand clapping? Why yes, and yes. You can look up a youtube of one hand with fingers smacking it own palm. 
Also, you can wave your hand next to  your ear as if clapping and you will hear that the wind moves molecules which produce sound. The wind itself is soundless, as I understand it.  

Y(appl)S

Is there a sound to one hand clapping? Why yes, and yes. You can look up a youtube of one hand with fingers smacking it own palm. 
Also, you can wave your hand next to  your ear as if clapping and you will hear that the wind moves molecules which produce sound. The wind itself is soundless, as I understand it.  
                                                       Y(appl)S
With the one hand clapping scenario, I can picture in my head air molecules moving around, and there being some kind of energy wave.
In the dark, there is no energy to engage anything, so there is no reaction, whether there is something to see or hear etc.
However, there are many wavelengths, so it may not be in our 'visible' spectrum, I suppose there could be unseen colours...?

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

Even though there is no sound in space - most sci-fi movies include sounds for space travel and/or battles/explosions ..... seems without sound the space sequences become boring

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

Even though there is no sound in space - most sci-fi movies include sounds for space travel and/or battles/explosions ..... seems without sound the space sequences become boring

Battlestar Galactica (new) is one that doesn't use much sound.

Boring... 2001 <<<<  :)  

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

I hear (pun intended) one of the newer big budget Si-fi pics had one scene in outer-space (some kind of massive explosion) where they actually had 10 seconds of silence to replicate reality.
So many people thought something had gone wrong with the sound, they had to make signs to say it was part of the dramatisation.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

34 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Sis Pauline, what is/will be your view on the usage of the word ‘presently’?

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/presently

Currently?

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have a new 3-in-1 printer and I am excited to try it out. If someone could send me a PDF I will print it. Then scan it and send it to you as a PDF.

Edited by ChrisC

Typo

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

• 2 weeks later...

If hunting fish or crabs is called fishing and crabbing, why isn't hunting animals known as deering or elking?

I think I'll go ducking one of these days...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Are they considered in the category of species called scavengers, like vultures ect. that clean up the earth of dead bodies and other waste? We don't like them in our homes but they are fine in their own natural environment doing what they were created to do...😊

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Was at the tire shop this morning getting a new lawn tractor tire when a young woman came in. She stood at the counter for a bit and I felt uncomfortable for her so I mentioned all the guys were in the shop and would be back in a bit. She said she'd called first and was waiting for Mike. We made small chit chat, she said she liked my truck and then we talked about her minivan. She said it was full of equipment, I asked what she did for a living she said she was a scout for the Food Network show Diners Drive ins and Dives. She got a call from Guy Fieri while we sat there. She, Amber, said they were on their way to Spokane then Montana for filming. She was super nice and very down to earth. She talked about how she can be on the road from 8 days to a month and was blessed to have her parents care for her 9 year old son while she works, she said she bought them a house in compensation for their help. Said she had July off and plans to spend it doing fun stuff with her son. 

Enjoyed the visit, and no I didn't ask anything about Guy!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34