JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

3 hours ago, pnutts said:

I had problems with road salt off my boots corroding the switch so it would cease up. (td)

That has not really been a problem in Florida ... although, for those closer to the coast, sea salt can be an issue.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 12/1/2018 at 1:53 AM, bagwell1987 said:

You know when we're driving down the road our hands have so much to do, we have blinkers, we have cup of coffee, we have radio, we have heater, we have steering, we have windshield wipers, we have stuff falling off the seat next to you.... and then we have a left-foot just sitting there with nothing to do😲. My thinking is we need to put that dimmer switch back on the floor  so that our left foot has something to do  and our hands  have one less job to do. Just saying you know

I saw this recently.

B47FD93B-299D-4D98-8637-282CC56CCACA.jpeg.14de08df50b9f52769e662f0b52d0d0c.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

28 minutes ago, Mountain man said:

Nobody knows if DC current flows from Positive +  to negative  -  you can ground the positive post of a battery and run everything off the negative and all electrical devices will work

Not my experience with anything containing a diode. Maybe it is just my fumble fingers cause circuits to go down.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Old said:

Not my experience with anything containing a diode. Maybe it is just my fumble fingers cause circuits to go down.

Older Chrysler cars had the positive wire from the battery connected to the fender for ground and all accessories ran off negative post.  If you were using this system, I believe a diode would need to be reverse biased to work

18 minutes ago, Mountain man said:

Older Chrysler cars had the positive wire from the battery connected to the fender for ground and all accessories ran off negative post. 

I believe that was short lived in the early 60's when they still had generators.

In 74 I found a combine I was working on had the battery reversed polarity, it had a generator. I had heard about it but never seen it. + terminal became negative.

In North America when cars switched to alternators, all vehicles were negative ground.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Yeah, it's interesting, they told us that in school. Nobody knows which way electrons travel, from + to -  or  - to +  since it'll work either way

Have you ever recharged a dead battery backwards?  if you hook the charger up backwards, you can reverse polarity and make the - hot

2 hours ago, pnutts said:

the battery reversed polarity, it had a generator. I had heard about it but never seen it. + terminal became negative.

2 hours ago, Mountain man said:

Have you ever recharged a dead battery backwards?  if you hook the charger up backwards, you can reverse polarity and make the - hot

Yup

Back in the 80's I was working with a company making Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS) for large main-frame computers.
Effectively banks of 12v lead-acid car batteries were used as the backup power source when the mains power went down.
The problem of batteries reversing polarity was present. There was a twofold effect. The obvious one was a reduction in backup power time. The 2nd was the reversed cells getting hot when charge came back on. This heat caused the hydrogen to explode, splashing acid everywhere.
I am not sure if modern batteries that are not lead-acid have this problem.
As to the flow of 'electron current' v 'hole current' flowing in the opposite direction, I haven't heard about this for decades. I didn't know it was still debated...

Older {waiting for wiser}

Lead acid batteries still explode.  City buses I worked on had 2 8D's in the back. They had a huge load with all the lights ect.  Since they we're always charging and bounced around a lot, they'd come in blown up once in a while.  The "Gel cell" like optima won't explode as far as I know

There some of the older farm tractors that were also positive ground

However, since, at that time, they all used generators (not alternators) and some were negative ground while others were positive ground - I do not think it had anything to do with them having generators instead of alternators ... my guess would be, it was just how someone decided to design it.

Now, as to the direction of flow - while it is true that diodes allow current to flow in only one direction - it has never been 100% determined which direction it actually goes

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

my guess would be, it was just how someone decided to design it.

I know some tractors came from Britain and they had + ground. Same as some European made cars many a year ago. 

They had a negative impact in North American market.😜

We're in the middle of blustery wind, on my way home I saw a blow-up Santa, it has the sand in the bottom so it can bob around. It was blowed over on its face and the wind was blowing just right so that Santa's face was being bashed into the ground over and over😂

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

8 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

We're in the middle of blustery wind, on my way home I saw a blow-up Santa, it has the sand in the bottom so it can bob around. It was blowed over on its face and the wind was blowing just right so that Santa's face was being bashed into the ground over and over😂

That's funny...serves him right.....😁

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

13 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

We're in the middle of blustery wind, on my way home I saw a blow-up Santa, it has the sand in the bottom so it can bob around. It was blown over on its face and the wind was blowing just right so that Santa's face was being bashed into the ground over and over😂

“. . .When they got up early in the morning on the following day, there was Daʹgon fallen facedown on the ground. . .” 1 Samuel 5:4
:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

39 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Is it a good idea to have Alexa and a parrot in the same room?

:eek: :lol1:

Alexa randomly joins in conversations with humans when they're not even talking to her. Not good manners!!!  Maybe if she had a parrot to talk to ..... :lol:

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

2 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Alexa randomly joins in conversations with humans when they're not even talking to her. Not good manners!!!  Maybe if she had a parrot to talk to ..... :lol:

hmmm, I was thinking the same thing, but on the line of a parrot will probably just imitate Alexa. 

On 12/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, bagwell1987 said:

Lol. Yesterday while I was out spying out the good land for a brother, a house across the street had Christmas decorations up in the yard. Normal right? The only thing though that instead of a Santa, they had a big blown up brown bear in their front yard, waving his arms, with decorations around his shoulders. 

What? Santa fired his reindeers? Lol. Or maybe Mrs. Claus fired them because Rudolph's nose light went out, so he couldnt show Mrs. Claus' man the way down the chimney. 

Edited by Luezette

10 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Lol. Yesterday while I was out spying out the good land for a brother, a house across the street had Christmas decorations up in the yard. Normal right? The only thing though that instead of a Santa, they had a big blown up brown bear in their front yard, waving his arms, with decorations around his shoulders. 

Did it look like Putin? :eek:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D