JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wine and stuff like that

Although an amateur by any standerd, I consider myself a lover of good wine. As the result, our Sunday afternoons after the meetings and ministry, are dedicated to the moderate consumption of wine. I love red wine and my wife is enomoured by her Rose'. South Africa, especially Cape Town, boasts an array of enviable wine routes, and we make it a practice to visit these when we can, and invest in a a cupple of bottles and bubblies. It usually is superb experience to say the very.

what is your favourate wine, and with what wine/ food pairings can you suggest?

I'm going to like this topic!

We live close to Napa Valley however we rarely go to Napa and taste wine. I do like a good Old Vine Zin so several years ago we went to the Lodi Zin Fest, Lodi is known for their old vine zins. I like to try a variety of wines so I don't really have a favorite vinter.

If you are looking for odd pairings, try a little red wine and an Oreo cookie.. :bringiton:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If you want to tast good wine you should definitely try the portuguese. From North to South you find wines that belong to any World's best wines list

The best is that you can find excellent wines even in the low prices categories (3€ to 5€)

Additionally you have a kind of wine that is unique in the world, the "Verde" wine :)

I love the Portuguese wines :) but also some Spanish,French, Italian and from Chile

I'm going to like this topic!

We live close to Napa Valley however we rarely go to Napa and taste wine. I do like a good Old Vine Zin so several years ago we went to the Lodi Zin Fest, Lodi is known for their old vine zins. I like to try a variety of wines so I don't really have a favorite vinter.

If you are looking for odd pairings, try a little red wine and an Oreo cookie.. :bringiton:

Thank you brother Richard. I shall certainly do that. Although I must admit That Oreo and Red Wine is a rather interesting combination.

If you want to tast good wine you should definitely try the portuguese. From North to South you find wines that belong to any World's best wines list

The best is that you can find excellent wines even in the low prices categories (3€ to 5€)

Additionally you have a kind of wine that is unique in the world, the "Verde" wine :)

I love the Portuguese wines :) but also some Spanish,French, Italian and from Chile

We have different tastes, I've tried many non-American wines and I prefer a hearty California wine so far.

We were in Portugal several year ago and I sampled a wide variety of Ports. I was surprised at the different types that are available.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Thank you brother Richard. I shall certainly do that. Although I must admit That Oreo and Red Wine is a rather interesting combination.

I don't recommend it for anyone that has a medical issue with sugars.  :)

We like traditional pairings and really love soft cheeses like a St. Andre cheese. 

Old World wines are certainly the best.....You guys had been at it for thousands of years. Our wine making footprint in South Afrika is only 400 years old.....but we are getting there, slowly but surely. I. Will surely sample the Verde wine, thanx so much my brother.

I don't recommend it for anyone that has a medical issue with sugars.  :)

We like traditional pairings and really love soft cheeses like a St. Andre cheese.

That sounds very palatable...thanks.

Apothic Red! Great taste and price.

I've tried it and liked it. We have a Trader Joes store close to us and I'll occasionally try a new bottle of wine as long as it is less that $10.

I posted that wine in some other thread here.  I adore it.  The cost is around $15.00 to $19.00  a bottle depending on which liquor store I purchase it.  I am trying a wine called Twisted from, let me go get the bottle....

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

what is your favourate wine, and with what wine/ food pairings can you suggest?

We once paid for a wine pairing that was very good. Look at the menu on this link.

http://www.seghesio.com/Visit-Us/Wine-Tastings

Now I know what I want to do when I grow up!  I want to have a vineyard with people I enjoy working side by side and have a hospitality center for the newly resurrected!  I will even mop floors and spread manure (I'm guessing you have to fertilize the soil) just to be there!

LeslieDean

I wonder where the other half of my post went?

Any way, a Moscato from Mendoza, Argentina.  Having it with a beautiful slice of tomato pie.  Wishing you all were here to enjoy it with me!

My wife opened a Moscato the other day but I was enjoying a little Drambuie over ice instead... 

I like 7 Deadly Zins and Earthquake made by Michael David. They can be found in most stores.

I posted that wine in some other thread here.  I adore it.  The cost is around $15.00 to $19.00  a bottle depending on which liquor store I purchase it.  I am trying a wine called Twisted from, let me go get the bottle....

We can get it usually for under 10 bucks down here in the Galveston area. Used to be 7 untill it got popular.

Several months ago I started experimenting with boxed wines. I thought it would be a good idea to find a good box wine so if there was an appropriate occasion to serve a lot of wine, I would know what to buy. Boxed wines typically have a bad reputation but there are a lot of good reviews on current box wines.

Has anyone found a good box wine?

Of the ones that I have tried I liked the Bota box Old Vine Zin and the Black box Merlot.

It had to be, ummm, fourty years ago, that I was going to the lake with my sister and brotherinlaw and they stopped to buy a bottle of champagne.  My sister got back in the car and was holding the bottle between her legs where it would stay upright.  We traveled many miles, up and down hills and pulling a boat.  The ride was rough.  After about an hour we heard a deafening pop and she screamed so loud she scared everyone.  She grabbed her face and blood was coming out from between her fingers.  Her husband pulled over to help her and I still was not for sure what happened.  The cork under pressure popped and flew up and hit her on her nose and bloodied her nose.  Later that day she had two black eyes and every time people would see her they would look at her husband and give him an evil look.  Now it all comes together for me.

LeslieDean

It had to be, ummm, fourty years ago, that I was going to the lake with my sister and brotherinlaw and they stopped to buy a bottle of champagne.  My sister got back in the car and was holding the bottle between her legs where it would stay upright.  We traveled many miles, up and down hills and pulling a boat.  The ride was rough.  After about an hour we heard a deafening pop and she screamed so loud she scared everyone.  She grabbed her face and blood was coming out from between her fingers.  Her husband pulled over to help her and I still was not for sure what happened.  The cork under pressure popped and flew up and hit her on her nose and bloodied her nose.  Later that day she had two black eyes and every time people would see her they would look at her husband and give him an evil look.  Now it all comes together for me.

Had she taken off the wire cage?