JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wine and stuff like that

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

We're yanking your chain a little, brother ;) :lol1:

Thats alright. I’m just trying to get people to inform themselves while doing a little research myself.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

We're yanking your chain a little, brother ;) :lol1:

Thats alright. I’m just trying to get people to inform themselves while doing a little research myself.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

One of the local vineyard owners told a news reporter that some of this years wine will have more smoke tones to it.

That's looking at the silver lining!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 2015-07-27 at 12:38 PM, LeslieDean said:

I always think of Frazier and Niles when any subject that pertains to wine comes up.  Their pretentiousness lends itself to wine tasting.  Why does everyone sound like a wine snob or food snob when describing experiences with either of these subjects? I consider myself a food snob but I don't mean it to sound that way--I just know what I like and enjoy.LOL.   I also find that something I hated years ago I can now really like.  Why is that?  Do are tastes really change or is it we adapt to different things when exposed?  The show Frazier has always been one of my all time favorite situation comedies.  I adore their father Martin and each supporting character was cast perfectly for their part.  Can not imagine anyone else playing that person's role.  They each made it their own.

You could talk about any foodstuff in the same way, and when producing the tastes  needed for a certain food in a lab, you do. The testing panels get to describe the tastes in similar ways. It might sound a little snobberish, but how else are we going to talk about taste?

Taste is a marvellous thing. Children have very many tastebuds, but not extremely refined. They become a little less as we grow older, but more refined. So while a kid would sneer at fermented shark, a trained adult might enjoy it (with the right amount of alcohol, that is).

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I just read that Frey Vinyards burned..they produce Pacific Redwood wine in Redwood Valley.. My husband and I like it because it is made with organic grapes and contains minimal natural sufites found naturally in grapes..We are very allergic to sulfites added to fruits or wine. We will go to our health food store to buy a few more bottles.

Was wondering how our brothers' vinyards fared...:lol:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

Was wondering how our brothers' vinyards fared...

I texted the brothers that I know and none of their wineries are damaged. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 12/04/2016 at 11:13 PM, Tortuga said:

I have been experimenting with boxed wine (someone has to do it) and I recently tried the Trader Joe's 3L box of Cab for $12. It tastes half way decent and it's easy to pack. I once took a box of wine on a cruise ship...:D

I read recently that boxed wine is becoming  more popular, and is even being used in Michelin starred restaurants. Its for environmental reasons (lots of energy needed to make a glass bottle) but may mean more good wines available in a box!

On 10/10/2017 at 5:01 AM, Tortuga said:

When was the last time you toured a winery?

We have a winery 10 minutes down the road from us. In the UK! 

The white wines are surprisingly good, the reds not so much. We just dont get enough sun to make a decent red. Their red tasted thin (if that makes sense) and more like a white.

An afternoon at their open day was enternaining though. Have you seen Midsomer Murders? I felt like i was in an episode of that.

34 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I read recently that boxed wine is becoming  more popular, and is even being used in Michelin starred restaurants. Its for environmental reasons (lots of energy needed to make a glass bottle) but may mean more good wines available in a box!

The wine lasts longer too because there isn't any oxygen intrusion. 

On 10/13/2017 at 1:52 PM, Peanuts said:

If you decide to experiment with boxed wine, I suggest that you write the date that you open it on the side of the box. Then check that against the date it runs out. I was surprised to find out that it didn't last as long as I thought it would. ..:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

If you decide to experiment with boxed wine, I suggest that you write the date that you open it on the side of the box. Then check that against the date it runs out. I was surprised to find out that it didn't last as long as I thought it would. ..:D

You also need to make sure it’s the right kind of box. Many are not very easy to recycle.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Arent they all just cardboard with a plastic bladder in?

The box is usually no problem, but a modern bladder can be if it’s co-extruded ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH) technology - a five-layer co-extrusion with EVOH sandwiched between two layers of polypropylene, which is how one company describes their bladder.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

So we just visited Fredricksburg Texas area for the wine tour. Awesome deal. In September ( I think it was) I bought a wine trail pass for 70.00 per couple. (http://texaswinetrail.com/store/item/texas-wine-month-passport) Covers a wine tasting at over 40 different wineries, 4 wineries each day. Pays for itself on the first day. Perfect chance for a non wine connoisseur such as myself to try out some higher quality wines on the cheap. Also a great way to celebrate your wedding anniversary AND the annual meeting (very nice local congregation).  

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

The box is usually no problem, but a modern bladder can be if it’s co-extruded ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH) technology - a five-layer co-extrusion with EVOH sandwiched between two layers of polypropylene, which is how one company describes their bladder.

Yes, looks like they dont recycle that bit. I did just find a website detailing lots of alternative re-uses for it though...including an inflatable camping pillow :)  and another one joined loads up to make a big raft. Its making me think i should have a box of wine in my Go Bag. Purely for survival reasons of course... :wink:

3 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

Yes, looks like they dont recycle that bit. I did just find a website detailing lots of alternative re-uses for it though...including an inflatable camping pillow :)  and another one joined loads up to make a big raft. Its making me think i should have a box of wine in my Go Bag. Purely for survival reasons of course... :wink:

Yes, if you can reuse or repurpose it, that’s excellent.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”