JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How is your homschooling year going so far?

Audrey what program do you do? We probably will not do a whole lot of American history, enough, but not a lot. Mostly we focus on Biblical and world history regarding us as witnesses. Year book, those under persecution around the world for our faith, etc...

We are using Pear Blossom.

I am kind of careful with much of our American history... I want them to know facts, but much of what you read in a text book has the underlying agenda of making you allegiant to the USA. And as we know as witnesses, there is no country that Jehovah loves more then another one, he is not partial... but secular history text books will always spin it to the country of origin of said text book.

Sis, I agree with about American History. Many of it texts books can be used as toilet papers.

I need MD to join this forum, she is HS now and needs you Pauline. You are a wealth of information. I appreciate your wisdom and intelligence. We need to talk more.

Steck-Vaughn Working With Numbers Refresher (Brown Work-text) covers Computation, Algebra,and Geometry. It comes with permission for teacher's copyright. The Answer key is separate. It also comes with permission to copy. Refreher has a pretest result, so you can skip concepts already known (one concept per work sheet).  My school or students kept most of the books I bought, but I probably have an answer key to this one. The Next Steck-Vaughn Algebra (Purple worktext) covers most of  Algebra Two. Same deal with permission to copy and answer key separate, with permission to copy. I probably have this in my archives. These two books will cover most if not all of a typical high school math curriculum. I have had students pass high school tests with just finishing the brown worktext.  Extras: most high schools teach a brief intro to trig in the junior year along with Algebra Two.  Most states do not require a Senior Year math. but there is text called 'transitions' which covers most everything needed to pass college admissions tests. Intro to Calculus or intro to functions and limits is generally a Senior elective (not necessary). I am not sure if persons are using a distance learning program or setting up their own home school curricula. The least expensive distance learning program is International Correspondence School, which offers a recognized diploma from Newport High. I met a young man in Service on Saturday who is in his first year of college and he is taking Calculus one. The young man said i can come back when he is on winter break. You never know.  

I am attempting to home school my grandson. He is in 2nd grade, but I found he really didn't have a good grip on 1st grade. Trying to refresh and sharpen basics while adding new stuff. This is turning out to be a big job. I may be in over my head...

You can do this Beth! I am in Haysville, where are you. I will help you. My oldest is in 3rd grade. You are welcome to come to my home and I can help you. Please get in touch with me, I know many here homeschooling. We are going to Cowtown on Wednesday if you want to join us.

You may also know the Vogts... Nathan and Daria Vogt in West cong, have a little boy in I think 2nd grade... (they homeschool too)... but they live in Kingman, they will not be at Cowtown... but that is at least another boy his age. I will see if Angie and Ian can meet up with us at Cowtown too, she has Ian who is in 5th grade... I have a 4 year old boy... but every one else has girls! lol haha My older two are girls. lol