JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lessons learned at JWTalks..

This is more of a request than a lesson learned;

I've noticed several new topics that pose a question in the title and then the body of the first post continues with additional information without including the original question, that makes it difficult to keep things in context and to quote and reply to the question that was posed in the title.

If you start a new topic and part of your first post is included in the title of the topic, please include the same information in the body of your post.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

This is more of a request than a lesson learned;

I've noticed several new topics that pose a question in the title and then the body of the first post continues with additional information without including the original question, that makes it difficult to keep things in context and to quote and reply to the question that was posed in the title.

If you start a new topic and part of your first post is included in the title of the topic, please include the same information in the body of your post.

Are you running for "moderator" Richard?!! haha!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

3 hours ago, shali said:

Are you running for "moderator" Richard?!! haha!

Just trying to minimize the confusion and misunderstandings.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 5 months later...

Another lesson that I have learned at JWT is to remember that this forum is a large congregation of brothers and sisters. We may be tempted to treat the friends here differently than the friends that we personally know in our own congregation but just because we haven’t met face-to-face shouldn’t change the way we should treat each other.

This is a large congregation with a wide variety of spiritual maturity, ages, cultures, opinions, perspectives, mental health, physical health, emotional health, employment issues, family issues and more. We need to keep in mind that we should show love and insight when dealing with each other and never try to force our personal opinions or drag our soapbox from topic to topic. If one of our brothers or sisters needs to be readjusted, then we should do so privately and lovingly while showing good insight and discretion, our goal on this forum is to strengthen and encourage one another, not correct, criticize and condemn.

Well said Richard! I would like to add that if we do feel the need to approach a fellow member privately and that person disagrees with our opinion and doesn't react the way we think they should and rejects our counsel, then our only choice is to let the matter drop. DO NOT continue to hound thus person until they take your advice and start doing things your way.

I agree with the last two posts entirely (Tortuga and Musky). Like.JPG I have found that since most of us here have never met personally, we somehow feel it gives us the right to be a little more blunt with each other. But that's a good start to hard feelings. We need to consider how others, who may be of a different country, background, culture, etc, may react to what we're saying.

A few weeks ago, I finally had the privilege of meeting a (former) member from JWTalk. She and I had communicated a few times via PM and then via email, but it was the longest time before we actually met. (Some time ago she decided not to return here for personal reasons, after many online discussions together about it.) She happened to be visiting my city, and I enjoyed meeting and talking to her personally. But I think of how different that meeting might have turned out if we had spoken to each other differently online than the way we did. I am happy both of us kept our manners online over the time before we met.

I find that it's an art to be able to treat someone you've never seen face-to-face as an actual person.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/13/2015 at 9:42 AM, trottigy said:

Don't quote a long post!

If you must, only quote the point in it you are responding to.

:thumbsup:

On 10/13/2015 at 5:55 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Need to add real quick- I appreciate how this forum keeps me up on the brotherhood, what's new, what's coming, spoilers, info to be shared at the meeting etc. I'm not married to a brother so my life is, has been, left in the dark because I'm not part of those 'who know', but on this forum I get to know, what can be revealed, and it makes me feel good. A sister known for being the first to 'know' came up to me and 'shared' what she knew was going to be announced at the meeting. I told her I knew last week, it wasn't secret, but she was miffed that 'ol me' would know anything.  :raspberry:  What I wanted to do! HA!

Sister, your post is more than two years ago but I just stumbled onto this topic.

I couldn't have said it better !

There have always been those 'well connected' , and their groupies.

The forum levels the playing field . .haha.

Human nature being what it is, even here I sometimes feel that I'm eavesdropping on a small circle of prominent ones.

But, as I have posted before, I love you guys !

• 10 months later...
On 10/13/2015 at 9:42 AM, trottigy said:

Don't quote a long post!

If you must, only quote the point in it you are responding to.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Tortuga

It doesn't take any editing to use the :thumbsup: emoji. It is included in the group of original emojis under "Emoticons" at the bottom of the dropdown ... or, you can type it with : thumbsup : without the spaces between the colons and the text and it does not have to be bold (if I type it that way - it will display the emoji, nit the text - you can hang your mouse pointer over the emoji to see the text shortcut :yes: )

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

It doesn't take any editing to use the :thumbsup: emoji. It is included in the group of original emojis under "Emoticons" at the bottom of the dropdown ... or, you can type it with : thumbsup : without the spaces between the colons and the text and it does not have to be bold (if I type it that way - it will display the emoji, nit the text - you can hang your mouse pointer over the emoji to see the text shortcut :yes: )

Sorry I was only joking...he only posted that one thing and it said edited so I thought he may have changed it from one to another...thanks for explaining that anyway..:)

Just now, Dove said:

Sorry I was only joking...he only posted that one thing and it said edited so I thought he may have changed it from one to another...thanks for explaining that anyway..:)

I know at times I have changed an emoji 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

16 hours ago, campanula said:

Some of English speaking friends do not know how to use Google translate. 😲

Funny, I was just thinking of that this morning. I would like to get proficient at using Google translate so I can write brothers and sisters in other lands to encourage them (like Russia). Maybe someone who is good at using it can start a topic to help the rest of us use this great tool properly to help us get our main thoughts through in an understandable way.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

3 hours ago, shali said:

Funny, I was just thinking of that this morning. I would like to get proficient at using Google translate so I can write brothers and sisters in other lands to encourage them (like Russia). Maybe someone who is good at using it can start a topic to help the rest of us use this great tool properly to help us get our main thoughts through in an understandable way.

• 2 weeks later...