JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Statistics - Home Schooling vs Public Schools?

Have any of you seen statistics showing how much better home schooling is than public schools in multiple areas? For example:

1. Academics

2. Socializing

3. Reading Comprehension

4. Understanding History

I am looking for a link to an actual study done showing the advantages.

I appreciate your help  :wave: 

note: I saw a recent statistics that around 2% of school age children are being home schooled. And of that group - the ethnic make up almost 85% Caucasian.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d13/tables/dt13_206.10.asp?current=yes 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

http://www.parentingscience.com/homeschooling-outcomes.html

I have not seen any statistical studies that accurately measured the difference. . 

Interesting:

So the implications seem clear: Canadian kids receiving structured home schooling are testing very well, and it's not merely a reflection of their parents' affluence or educational levels.

But the story may be very different for kids who receive unstructured homeschooling.

In every test area, unstructured homeschoolers got lower scores than the structured homeschoolers did.

In 5 of 7 areas, the differences were substantial, ranging from 1.32 grade levels for the math test to 4.2 grade levels for the word identification test.

Where the structured homeschoolers performed above grade level, the unstructured homeschoolers performed below it.

Thank you!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

It seems STRUCTURE is the key.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Personally this has been our experience also.Structure and a lot of parental involvement.Our son home schooled 5 of his 11 years thus far.He has attended high school since 9th grade until now.In that time he has only gotten 1 B on his report card,all else has been A's.

Last year,his 10th grade year,he was given all the state proficiency test needed in our state to graduate,he past all 5.He does not have to take anymore proficiency test!!!

Also he has all A's currently and if he continues with all A's and misses no school he does not have to take any more final exams!Ever!

He is thrilled at this prospect.Also he currently has an A in Physics.The hardest class he has ever encountered he says.And that's compared to trig and pre-calculus .

One thing this mom knows...my son is a happier kid.

Interesting:

Thank you!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

It seems STRUCTURE is the key.

I hate to open a can of worms, but there are homeschoolers who don't quantify their children's ability and "grade" by level from tests scores. Many are now opting out of state "required" standardization tests. Also this study is from 2007 and the number of homeschoolers/alternative schools vs. Public schools is growing. Unschooling or interest led learning is legitimate and now becoming a proven method that is is becoming very popular.

Many homeschoolers (ones on this site ) may take offense to the idea that structure is "key". Just saying. :)

Some reasons I conclude the results are apples/oranges is that all the schools I worked in made no bones (among themselves) about falsifying scores or letting students work in groups during standardized individual exams. The schools also did not always follow timing guidelines. When I proctored our Middle School Students, they were upset that I did not let them help each other and I kept to the guidelines for timing.I lost favor with school admins (I used to be a school admin, myself,) due to my unwillingness to let students share answers, i.e. "cheat." . Many public school families have also opted out of testing. For some students, their school assistant or one-on-one did all the work.

I will just give one more anecdotal experience of the ways in which public schools discriminate against homeschoolers.  My friend decided to let her son take the (non-mandatory) state exam for her son's grade. He was put all alone in an auditorium and was told some one would be back to tell him when time was up. He was then handed all the paperwork and a pencil. His combined grade that returned was a 17. I had advised my friend, our sister, that allowing him to volunteer for this grade level testing may well be disappointing, since I had taught at this school.  I am convinced that homeschoolers, in general, are better educated that public school students.

(I also taught in private schools, therapeutic boarding school, and adult ed.) This is my first school year retired from teaching and my only regret is that I did not homeschool my children from day one.   :(  

the structured vs unstructured, has been said to a point they test lower... usually below 3rd grade, above 3rd grade they even up.. mainly because unstructured homeschoolers do NOT force reading before natural age.. and natural age is around 7... however, between ages 9-11 they all even out (unstructured and structured homeschoolers). All seem to go far and above public schoolers. 

OTOH, wouldn't that be the natural way... that children who are influenced more by grown parents who have their best interest at heart, rather then strangers (teachers) and immature children their own age. Not to mention that public school is ran by the government who is controlled by satan... so it's underlying objective... is for sure a whole nother ball game.

the structured vs unstructured, has been said to a point they test lower... usually below 3rd grade, above 3rd grade they even up.. mainly because unstructured homeschoolers do NOT force reading before natural age.. and natural age is around 7... however, between ages 9-11 they all even out (unstructured and structured homeschoolers). All seem to go far and above public schoolers.

OTOH, wouldn't that be the natural way... that children who are influenced more by grown parents who have their best interest at heart, rather then strangers (teachers) and immature children their own age. Not to mention that public school is ran by the government who is controlled by satan... so it's underlying objective... is for sure a whole nother ball game.

Do you know of any research done that shows this?

Soon .....

I tutored myself through high-school, I love to learn EVERYTHING and public school held me back from learning. They had a structure and you didn't cross the line. In my home schooling I reveled in the things I could learn and did very well, particularly automotive, history and math.

My children both went to public school and I hated the way it went, so much unstructured time made for "play time".  MD caught on to this "play time" and found it could lead her to bad behavior, she quit fresh into her 9th year and went to test for GED, aced it. MS finished high school but revealed that there were things that went on that caused damage to him. At 30 he still won't tell me and left the truth around 20.

My GD is home schooled. There isn't the structure I'd hoped for but you know she has a whole congregation giving her lessons- guitar, history, spelling, reading and me with mathematics.....she is getting a well rounded life lesson. Sooo I hope it works for her, Oregon has mandatory testing she has to pass, MD is a bit concerned.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My youngest son homeschooled from his freshman year through the rest of high school and regular pioneer.     He is not socially withdrawn at all.    He has never been in any clubs (other than honor society),has not played team sports in school.    Since he is self motivated he finished in a very short time.   He has always been in the top 5 %.   No doubt it would be different if  a child (ren) were to have  learning disabilites.    

My take on homeschooling vs. public schools would be

1. Structure

2. Safety (in these last days)

This last couple of weeks there have been a number of bomb threats in the oklahoma city school systems.    Each time it disrupts the time taught teaching. In some instances guns, knifes are brought to schools.     And what about the increase of school gun violence where now students are upset with someone and then want to come and shoot the masses.   Sometimes no doubt for them to 'outdo' the last mass murderer.     This world is CRAZY.  Peoples attitudes are so defunct.    Children are growing up and this is what they hear and view on social media everyday.   It used to shock us....but not so much because it has become common place.   

So strictly speaking one would probably consider home schooling for the safety reason alone.      I am employed in a school with a little over 400 students  grades pre-K through 8th grade.   So a smaller school and yet we have had threats.  

Schools are so fanatical about athletics that academics many times 'takes a back seat' so to speak.  Not to mention a lot of learning time is wasted on non essentials especially around the holidays when childrens minds have shut off on learning anything.  At that point you do what you can to corral their learning capabilites and babysit the other half.  LOL You may disagree with me ...everyone has their own views on this. 

Edited by A fellow servant

As far as socialization goes, if you saw first-hand what goes on in school, you would not want that association for your child. Our meetings and brotherhood offer the best socialization. At a meeting for middle school teachers, one teacher spoke up and said, "Let's just admit it among ourselves, we don't care if they learn anything in middle school, our job is to just get them through this time in their life."  He became less popular among  the faculty. 

Heard on the local news this morning talk about electives, they're making room for more electives. Why don't they just focus on the academics and forget all that fluff stuff. I can see if it were teaching life skills like balancing a checkbook or bank account, making and holding to a budget, cost comparing for life's essentials, making meals on a budget, learning to be your own boss-entrepreneur skills...all the things they're going to need to know after they turn legal age. Quality stuff.   

To keep on topic I need to do some more research on the differences. Maybe MD has some info.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I highly suggest anything written by John Holt.. he used to be a elite teacher, he journaled his observations of his students, even some of his observations of his colleagues who were teaching special needs children.. those were very insightful! But, really all his journals have been very insightful to me.

For us structure was not the key. I don't believe in a one size fits all answer to the question of what's s better homeschooling or public schooling and everything in between. Don't care about statistics as I don't think they can ever be an accurate, all inclusive picture on this subject. There are just too many variables within traditional schools and homeschools. Where you live, what kind of resources you have, motivation of parents or teachers, how many children are in a class, school. Environment, attention span, readiness, creativity. Patience of parent or teacher. Mental, emotional and physical health of ALL involved. Do you live in the country, the city, do you have easy access to libraries, museums, parks... You name it... It affects how a child learns. We at our home learn naturally. No sit down studies... Unless you happen to want to curl up with a good book or watch a documentary, or a cooking show or whatever else needs quiet time. WHAT!!! No testing.... Nope! Guess what? My 16 yr old daughter is an excellent reader, and writer. She can't stand math, she likes history and science. She loves to cook. She is social when she chooses and at other times very private. She choose to be a regular pioneer at 15. She knew she could do it, because she has always done everything she put her mind to... Because I allowed her to choose. Yes, I guided her. Yes many times she stayed up all night and I let her. During these times she realized she could do things on her own if she chose to. No one handed her a work sheet, gave her a time limit, and a bad grade if she didn't complete it in time. And now I have an incredibly self motivated young woman, who is kind and loves Jehovah with all her heart. Our way might not work for everyone... But it doesn't mean another way is better... Just different. Not all "statistics" tell the truth.

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

For us structure was not the key. I don't believe in a one size fits all answer to the question of what's s better homeschooling or public schooling and everything in between. Don't care about statistics as I don't think they can ever be an accurate, all inclusive picture on this subject. There are just too many variables within traditional schools and homeschools. Where you live, what kind of resources you have, motivation of parents or teachers, how many children are in a class, school. Environment, attention span, readiness, creativity. Patience of parent or teacher. Mental, emotional and physical health of ALL involved. Do you live in the country, the city, do you have easy access to libraries, museums, parks... You name it... It affects how a child learns. We at our home learn naturally. No sit down studies... Unless you happen to want to curl up with a good book or watch a documentary, or a cooking show or whatever else needs quiet time. WHAT!!! No testing.... Nope! Guess what? My 16 yr old daughter is an excellent reader, and writer. She can't stand math, she likes history and science. She loves to cook. She is social when she chooses and at other times very private. She choose to be a regular pioneer at 15. She knew she could do it, because she has always done everything she put her mind to... Because I allowed her to choose. Yes, I guided her. Yes many times she stayed up all night and I let her. During these times she realized she could do things on her own if she chose to. No one handed her a work sheet, gave her a time limit, and a bad grade if she didn't complete it in time. And now I have an incredibly self motivated young woman, who is kind and loves Jehovah with all her heart. Our way might not work for everyone... But it doesn't mean another way is better... Just different. Not all "statistics" tell the truth.

I am curious - what type of work does she plan on doing to permit her to keep pioneering? Or is she planning on just staying at home until she gets married?

Soon .....

I am curious - what type of work does she plan on doing to permit her to keep pioneering? Or is she planning on just staying at home until she gets married?

Thats funny.... Considering all students who graduate high school are equipped to move right into the work force. Hmm.. She has expressed desire to work in a fabic shop that also sells art supplies, for a while she wanted a food truck. Maybe she will work for me in my company ( which I started without a degree). Maybe she will work for one of the witness owned businesses in the area. Maybe she will choose to open her own business. Maybe she will choose to learn something online that she likes to do. Possibly she will be a need greater and choose to find out what the jobs in that area are first. Maybe she will go to the school for evangelizers. She already has her sights on Bethel. She has also chosen NOT to get married right away. Are you under the impression that she can't learn? Thats pretty demeaning there. Homeschooled (whichever way a parent decides to do it) does not mean ignorant and dependent!

Thats funny.... Considering all students who graduate high school are equipped to move right into the work force. Hmm.. She has expressed desire to work in a fabic shop that also sells art supplies, for a while she wanted a food truck. Maybe she will work for me in my company ( which I started without a degree). Maybe she will work for one of the witness owned businesses in the area. Maybe she will choose to open her own business. Maybe she will choose to learn something online that she likes to do. Possibly she will be a need greater and choose to find out what the jobs in that area are first. Maybe she will go to the school for evangelizers. She already has her sights on Bethel. She has also chosen NOT to get married right away. Are you under the impression that she can't learn? Thats pretty demeaning there. Homeschooled (whichever way a parent decides to do it) does not mean ignorant and dependent!

I think that Trottigy's question was reasonable. I am sure your daughter will do fine. I think Trottigy was asking, in the face of you positive post was, where is she going from here, not questioning her learning ability. From both of your posts you seem proud of your daughter, and rightly so. Wish my daughter had shown that much ambition at 16. She is now a pioneer and went to the last School for Christian Couples after marriage and raising two boys in the truth.

Nice to be young and have all our options open.  :)  :)  :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Are you under the impression that she can't learn? Thats pretty demeaning there. Homeschooled (whichever way a parent decides to do it) does not mean ignorant and dependent!

It does seem that people that home school their children are often under attack. I did not mean any type of an attack. I was genuinely interested in next steps.

It is great to have all kinds of options. But it is also good to have a pathway forward, yes? Jesus said, "count the cost" - or in a more modern term "begin with the end in mind." What is her Goal and steps to get there - was my question. Just saying, "I want to pioneer for 20 more years" is a good start, but there are costs to that.

I was wondering what steps she was taking to get there - or even if that was her goal? It seems Bethel is not a good goal at this time - since they are eliminating positions - rather than filling them. But the LDC program is starting to pick up - the construction field is an excellent one to get into - pay is good and one can usually work out their own schedule fairly easily- which allows her to keep pioneering. Is she good at working a tight schedule like the type construction runs at?

This of course is WAY off topic of the original question, but that was answered nicely already- so why not veer  :) 

Soon .....

It does seem that people that home school their children are often under attack. I did not mean any type of an attack. I was genuinely interested in next steps.

It is great to have all kinds of options. But it is also good to have a pathway forward, yes? Jesus said, "count the cost" - or in a more modern term "begin with the end in mind." What is her Goal and steps to get there - was my question. Just saying, "I want to pioneer for 20 more years" is a good start, but there are costs to that.

I was wondering what steps she was taking to get there - or even if that was her goal? It seems Bethel is not a good goal at this time - since they are eliminating positions - rather than filling them. But the LDC program is starting to pick up - the construction field is an excellent one to get into - pay is good and one can usually work out their own schedule fairly easily- which allows her to keep pioneering. Is she good at working a tight schedule like the type construction runs at?

This of course is WAY off topic of the original question, but that was answered nicely already- so why not veer   :)

If I get off topic one more time, I am afraid it will bring Blissful Diss out of hiatus, so i promise, I won't. I mean I promise to try to stay on topic. Homeschool families have my support. All public schools do not necessarily have my endorsement, That's an opinion of one  :tongue:

Edited by kejedo

:lol1: Bob, is sure busy with his business. and I think there is also a certain amount of - how do I catch up when I have been gone so long - happening.

:wave: I hope all our kids no matter where they get an education- have their parents INVOLVED. That alone should increase their likelihood of being well educated- which is a must for Gods people.

Soon .....

I read an educators article ( I believe he was a superintendent of schools) who said homeschooling should be done in the lower grades.The basics and values are taught,then send them to public school for the upper grades for the resources they will need for the career they are pursuing.

I'll try to find that article.It was in our local paper.

But, there is no reason that a parent can not fully educate or equip a child for life. Public Schools are fairly recent. Til about 100 years ago very few went to public schools and every one grew up to support themselves (there was not welfare, etc) The actual data is, children homeschooled are self motivated and have no problems finding jobs. It's kind of like the falsehood that you must have a college education to get a job... it's just not a truth. 

Complete opinion-Schools are ran by the government, the government is ran by Satan.. Jehovah gave children to their parents to education/teach/inculcate. There is no reason for a parent to hand their child over to the state for education. Especially a mediocre education at best. I really don't take any vestment in worldly opinions of education vs employment there's usually always a agenda, that underlies any of Satan's agendas, money, greed, stealing children's hearts from God and Parents, and applying them to government, and Satan's agendas. Greed, debt, bad association, subversive to Jehovah's principles and government.... nothing they say is from Jehovah, or for the good of Jehovah's Kingdom... it's literally coming from the opposite team, if you will. 

I read an educators article ( I believe he was a superintendent of schools) who said homeschooling should be done in the lower grades.The basics and values are taught,then send them to public school for the upper grades for the resources they will need for the career they are pursuing.

I'll try to find that article.It was in our local paper.

If by upper grades you are talking 9-12 there is nothing there that prepares them for a career unless they are in a technical school or a work program at school. Most kids do not take this route and many schools do not offer this as an option. There usually are college prep classes offered... but thats a whole 'nother can o' worms.

Edited by normaclutter