JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Statistics - Home Schooling vs Public Schools?

I see it is different depending on each situation.

For me - my job pays for some college education; so, I started taking a few classes every semester and got an associates degree in business (with an emphasis on accounting). My wife does accounting and I help on occasion and I wanted a little more formal training.

Well, low and behold, the economy CRASHED in 2007- just as I got my degree. I was working for the building department at the time. They chopped our department in half and then half again :eek: It was a scary time to be let go in the midst of an economic down turn. But as it turned out, there was an opening in the Finance department for an analyst, but an associates degree was required!! So, instead of getting laid off at the beginning of the worst downturn in the economy - I moved to that department and kept my same pay!!  :bouncing:

I worked as a financial analyst for the next 5 years. Some jobs - especially government ones - require a degree. Often just an associates degree with a little experience will do. Almost 2 years ago, I returned to the building department.  :thumbsup:

My point - each one has their own circumstances. Just as you are doing the best for your children. I am certain Nancy is doing the same!  :yes: 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

We try our best.My son's goals are to move to a greater need area to pioneer.We visit it as often as we can.He'll graduate next year.

The area he wants to go to is economically depressed.

My husband and I regular pioneered a few hours away from there and my husband was a chimney sweep.

We home schooled 5 years.Now he's gone to high school for his 3rd year,one more to go.He has transcripts with good grades and near perfect attendance.Three teachers wrote letters of recommendation.I think he's learned to be a structured responsible individual.

I think that will help him as a servant of Jehovah and an employee.

I also think having him in homeschooling for 5 years was a very special time for us.I loved being the one in charge of what information influenced him while he was maturing,it was A LOT of work.We read everything together and did awesome projects,that will forever be fond memories.

In our little upstate village, a student had a gun in school today. He told the school admins that he had been hunting over the weekend and forgot to put the gun away. I was conducting a doorstep Bible study right after the woman had gotten a phone call from school b/c her grandchildren attend there.  She told me the school will also be sending home a letter. Just wondering, where was the gun? In his back pack? If so, how did anybody know about it. He must have been showing it around.  :no:  not to be taken lightly.

• 4 weeks later...

vave any of you seen statistics showing how much better home schooling is than public schools in multiple areas? For example:

1. Academics

2. Socializing

3. Reading Comprehension

4. Understanding History

I am looking for a link to an actual study done showing the advantages.

I appreciate your help   :wave:

note: I saw a recent statistics that around 2% of school age children are being home schooled. And of that group - the ethnic make up almost 85% Caucasian.

https://nces.ed.gov/...sp?current=yes 

The following article gives some really good comparison of academic achievement of the two types of education--public and homeschool.  It comes from a good research database . If you would like a copy  let me know. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science © 2011 Canadian Psychological Association 2011, Vol. 43, No. 3, 195–202

The Impact of Schooling on Academic Achievement: Evidence From Homeschooled and Traditionally Schooled Students

• 1 month later...

.......Only a caveat on statistics, if you are trying to get unbiased comparisons go to sources outside of those that guard their interest. If the statistics are created by organization that favor a way of thinking, you will not get a fair assessment if you are trying to base your decision on them.

For example when you look at statistics for benefits of homechooling versus public education, to get a good feel and a good understanding you have to go look for sources that are unbiased and have no conflict of interest. For example , if you go to the source and you find out that the stats are produced by either public education or home schooling bodies, then you know that you are not getting unbiased information.

In all fairness most modern day homeschoolers could care less about statistics. We look at our individual children and do what we feel is best for them. We do get excited when a study/news report comes out showing how homeschoolers are are doing. Like recently a young girl was able to graduate from college and high school the same week because of the ability duel enroll. Or how many homeschoolers compete in the national spelling bee and have won or placed in the top ten. Ok granted they are the exception :). However it's still cool. Or when we see another reports of schools shut down due to a terror threat, or out break of disease (my area with whopping cough)k we know are kids are safe at home.

We never want this form to defend our choice, that is so personal. We wanted this forum to help others who were on the fence. Who were sincerely interested. Or those who wanted to compare styles or curriculum (so many).

Also, most homeschoolers (thankfully the numbers are rising) just want to be allowed to make the decision that they feel is best for their children. It's a sacrifice but to us it's worth it. This last weeks watchtower reminded us they are our most important bible students. I have had bible students with the worldly ones and it is an awesome feeling to see them progress to baptism. But that doesn't compare to helping our children go to maturity. Non homeschoolers have success that isn't a debate. Also, just because we homeschool them doesn't mean success either. We aren't naive. Again just doing the best for our kids is the bottom line.

A sister in our cong brings her three year old every week to practice reading and counting with me. Some have their children in Head Start at this age. That was not my personal choice when my boys were younger.  Someone asked this young man if he is going to school. He answered, "I have a private teacher."  :lol1:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2016 at 0:04 AM, Old said:

Kejedo avitar! Avitar, give us an avatar we can identify with!

Teenage photos OK!

YB Jerry

I've been wondering if i dare take a pic with shades since my nephew sent me one (of him). Then I decided to take a selfie to show what 64  looks like with out makeup.  The actual pic is of my little dog, with myself reverse photobombing it.  One can not see my baby doggie in this view. I will try to learn that re-sizing trick and get some more canine views posted.  I don't think I can convince my dogs to wear sunglasses, even by showing them that awesome giraffe photo.  However, I do love that fedora on the giraffe, and am not adverse to sporting a similar chapeau. In fact, I have painted a gold tree on one of my walls and hang my hats from it.  If I can get that pic reducing thing going on, maybe I'll post some of my off beat home decor.

We have a 10 year old "new" publisher in our Congregation. He has some food allergy problems and has to bring his own food at gatherings or when we feed the speaker. He had been a bit on the "shy" or "reserve" side but he is beginning to open up a bit. He probably would have been a publisher sooner if he had not been so shy.

The thing is, he is home schooled. His mother teaches him. He is quite intelligent. He already has a vast knowledge of all sorts of facts about the earth, nature, various animals, insects and all sorts of critters in addition to a well rounded knowledge of Bible Truth.

He is one of the best readers in the Congregation. His Bible readings are very fluent and he is able to pronounce all those difficult names. He also plays the piano quite well.

I was able to work with him and his parents yesterday in service :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Now that I am retired (at least temporarily), I have been increasing my service goals.  At the same time, I am bombarded by former students and friends from our cong re: alternate paths to education.  I do free-tutoring for the friends and some for the community. I am torn between: a) opening an alternative or special purpose school or  b )continuing to be a support person. The reason: my heart goes out to those who are being fried by the current public ed system. New York is one of the most highly regulated state  for home schoolers and alternative ed. Heavy sigh. Any who have experience in  navigating these waters  - "Help," I could be drowning, here.

Edited by kejedo

That's awesome   It's so hard figuring out the school at home process.   There are some many options and styles.  I don't live in New York but it's nice that your are willing to help out those who want to evaluate those options. 

9 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Now that I am retired (at least temporarily), I have been increasing my service goals.  At the same time, I am bombarded by former students and friends from our cong re: alternate paths to education.  I do free-tutoring for the friends and some for the community. I am torn between: a) opening an alternative or special purpose school or  b )continuing to be a support person. The reason: my heart goes out to those who are being fried by the current public ed system. New York is one of the most highly regulated state  for home schoolers and alternative ed. Heavy sigh. Any who have experience in  navigating these waters  - "Help," I could be drowning, here.

Back when we had our first daughter we tried home schooling. At that time Florida made it very difficult to do this. They wanted you to "attend" a private school (correspondence school) or you had to pay whatever a "certified teacher" wanted to charge to have your child tested throughout the year and at the end of the year.

Even with this, home schooling began to grow in popularity. As for us, since we ended up with four kids and my wife was not wanting to take on that much secular educating - and that we needed he income - our girls all went to public school.

One of the reasons the State did not encourage home schooling is that every child taught at home cost the school system available funds because these students are not in "attendance".

In 1997 the Florida Virtual School was founded and in 2000 the State recognized it as an actual school district and the FLVS became part of the Florida Public Education System .... so, student who are enrolled in the FLVS are both, home schooled and counted as "in attendance" so no money is lost to the State. This online school was the first state-wide Internet based public high school in the US.

Of course, by that time, we no longer had a need for schools, home based, private or public since our youngest graduated in 2000

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

However, legally that is not homeschool John. It is schooling at home, but if you needed legal defense to help you continue they would not consider this homeschool, it is just public school at home, and is just as regulated if not more so then brick and mortar public schools. I would/do run as far from them as possible. I really do not care if the state makes money off me and my children or not. lol I am more about giving my children a good education. Which I do not feel public education is. Since it is mainly ran by Satan, as is anything ran by the government, and it's so full of lies and propaganda to promote nationalism, and national agendas, instead of non partiality or Jehovah's agenda. 

legally though it is not homeschooling, it is schooling at home of course. And it is a option of course but it is still public school. And HSLDA and any other homeschool legal defense lawyers will not defend that as a homeschool. It's the same to them as if you are using a brick and mortar school. It is public school at your own home. But, legally it is not homeschooling. 

Still can be offensive if we segregate those who can't homeschool on their own and those using  state run curriculum.   Legally speaking or not, especially since we aren't lawyers here. Telling people to run May not be a viable solution.   I homeschool using a cyber school and I appreciate the  support of all other types of homeschoolers.    I appreciate those who try. 

of course we are not lawyers. I am not trying to offend any one. But, I am only stating the facts. Facts are facts, it's not like I am making things up or something. 

And I think I am allowed to say what I would do... it's a personal choice/opinion. And I stated it exactly that way, what I would do. Not every one has to do what I do. 

• 1 year later...

When I was learning at home and I took the standardized tests for 8th grade.  My mom asked the test taker where the Educational Service District wanted a copy of the scores sent that year.  The woman who had taught in public and private schools for 25 years before she started helping children who were home schooled.  She said that they didn't want to see the results anymore and she thought it was because the home schooled students were doing better than the kids in school.