JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
trottigy

The Challenges and Benefits of Home-Schooling

17 hours ago, Motherhen said:

There's a JW homeschool Yahoo Group that has a fairly large homeschool community:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Jehovahs_Witness-homeschool/info

You might be able to find some friends from your area there.

Great, I have emailed the group to join and will fill out the questionaire today. Had to make a Yahoo account in order to join. Thank you for the info!

Knowing your governments or nation history is not going to help you with any productive skill. A lot of what is taught in public school is propaganda.   It wants us to love our country. 

I was just reading an article today where Karen Smith, a Colorado teacher, is on administrative leave for assaulting a student who refrained from standing during the U.S. pledge of allegiance. (The article does not state the faith of the student.)   Interestingly, many commenters have sided with the teacher and have nearly vilified the student in question.  Notice what one commenter stated in support of the teacher:

I stand with Karen Smith, the teacher in Colorado who assaulted a male student who refused to stand, honor our country, our flag. The boy is lucky I was not with Karen Smith because I would have slapped [the] hell out of him! He is a little unpatriotic punk being reared by bad parents!

Yes, patriotism is fully ingrained in the school system and everywhere else for that matter.  I completely understand why JW parents would want to homeschool their children.

Knowing your governments or nation history is not going to help you with any productive skill. A lot of what is taught in public school is propaganda.   It wants us to love our country. 

Yes, patriotism is fully ingrained in the school system and everywhere else for that matter.  I completely understand why JW parents would want to homeschool their children.

I don’t think patriotism in schools is a big problem here. Of course, we do not have as a tradition to have school children pledge allegiance to the flag or raise to it. Also, homeschooling is frowned upon here and shouldn’t be employed unless it’s very much a necessity. In fact, it cannot be legally employed unless the circumstances are very grave. The law believes it is necessary for a teacher to have a specific education.

Also, to be able to homeschool your children you need to afford having one parent stay at home full time. This is not possible for many families.