JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooting in California

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3030 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A little more than ten (10) minutes to POTUS address on terrorism from Oval Office!

Let me know what Pontius says...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

To me it was 15 minutes of blah blah blah.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thanks brother Tracy. Not that interesting, all the same thing over and over. Attention is being pointed towards Obama not being willing to call it a Islamic or religious extremist terror attack trying to keep the name of the religion out of the whole situation is very interesting to me.

It might be happening again in Riverside, California. :( 

Police on my scanner are in search of three suspects who may have shot up the Tyler Mall.

The Mall is currently on lockdown. :unsure: 

I saw that too. I raised my notification level to 10,000.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

CALIFORNIA — There were multiple reports of an active shooter at Tyler Mall in Riverside Sunday night.

Officers were dispatched around 6:40 p.m. for a possible robbery call.

It’s unclear if any shots were fired. A SWAT Team was requested.

According to NBC-LA, three men went into a jewelry store and began smashing a display case in an attempt to steal the jewelry.  http://breaking911.com/59515/

Appears to be a robbery and not an act of terrorism, although, if I were the clerk at the jewelry store, 

I'd have been pretty terrified. :unsure:  Several people inside the mall are requesting medical assistance.

Prob'ly scared half to death. :( 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

So many different sentiments expressed here but even among us, Gods people, we still cant arrive at an equitable solution. ..

Shows us even more the wisdom of God when He says man is not qualified to rule, eh?

Not trying to be political nor argumentative but if you would notice, the American state that is named California already has the strictest gun laws of the US...didn't work to prevent the latest, or at least last weeks, shooting. .Like in Oz, if killers want to kill with guns, they will. .

I happen to enjoy shooting sports. I know many others, Brothers and Sisters, that do as well.

I also know some of the Friends that get all nervous and anxious at the mere mention of guns.

This is all well and good, we all are allowed to use our own trained conscience to make our own decisions, based on Scriptural principles and guidelines, without imposing our choices on someone else.

My particular choice in shooting is target practice with air rifles, pellet guns...I find that being able to do the exact same thing, over and over again, to achieve the same repeatable results has a calming effect on me. There are some that like to do the same thing, but on a different scale(read:firearms)...thats fine, I just prefer less noise, less cost, and less hassle. Plus, I can enjoy my sport in my backyard, at a range of 40 feet,for a penny a shot...that counts as a winner to me.

The thing that I would prefer, as I am sure all here would agree on, is to keep any discussion about guns, which can get highly inflammatory, under control and don't fall down to satans worlds level of dissension and bickering amongst ourselves.

Love you guys, and gals, looking forward to seeing you all soon. ...Maybe we can relax with a little target practice after the BBQ, how 'bout it? ;<}

My particular choice in shooting is target practice with air rifles, pellet guns...I find that being able to do the exact same thing, over and over again, to achieve the same repeatable results has a calming effect on me. There are some that like to do the same thing, but on a different scale(read:firearms)...thats fine, I just prefer less noise, less cost, and less hassle. Plus, I can enjoy my sport in my backyard, at a range of 40 feet,for a penny a shot...that counts as a winner to me.

:whistling:

Not trying to be political nor argumentative but if you would notice, the American state that is named California already has the strictest gun laws of the US...didn't work to prevent the latest, or at least last weeks, shooting. .Like in Oz, if killers want to kill with guns, they will. .

This underscores the core problem.  Yes, California may have strict gun laws, but California is not an island.  It borders other states where guns can come from both legally and illegally,

The only solution is God's Kingdom which will remove guns and the need people feel for guns.  No guns, period, is the only solution.  No fear of bodily harm and no one causing you to make you tremble.  Man can't do it.  

Getting a little political for a moment...  the pro-gun rights side keep emphasizing that guns don't kill people, people kill people.  They also emphasize a murder can be carried out with anything like a box cutter, a knife, a hammer, a nail gun, etc...  While they are correct, they ignore a very basic point.  Yes, guns are or can be tools but the designed intent of that tool is to kill.  A hammer and nail gun's designed purpose is to nail pieces together, a box cutter is to cut boxes, a knife is to cut anything.

Guns are designed to be killing tools.  (we'll ignore the air guns and so forth for sake of argument). 

Guns are designed to be killing tools.  (we'll ignore the air guns and so forth for sake of argument).

Well, as you may surmise, I don't agree with your conclusions.

Guns are designed for a variety of things. I have had some that were designed strictly as target pieces, heavy, unwieldy, shingle shot slug throwers that you would have a very difficult time using to injure someone, unless it was the person trying to use it, and that from a twisted back...

No, 'guns'...slug throwers, flame throwers, lasers, all can be used for a great variety of reasons..

It is up to the person using an individual tool to determine how that tool is used.

I have no desire to get involved in a 'gun' debate.

That is a very old worn out subject and splitting hairs does none of us any good.

Lumping all 'guns' into a single category, 'designed to kill', is somewhat simplistic and doesn't really address the basic underlying issue that you had mentioned earlier in your statement, that only God's Kingdom can solve this conundrum.

I say this, Adam was the greatest(human) mass killer that creation has ever known. He didn't use a gun.

Cain didn't either. ..

When sin crouches at the door, it is up to the animate, intelligent thinking individual to do the proper things.

Guns don't kill people, satanic, evil people kill people.

I'm done, carry on...

Oh my, OH my. ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Well, as you may surmise, I don't agree with your conclusions.

Guns are designed for a variety of things. I have had some that were designed strictly as target pieces, heavy, unwieldy, shingle shot slug throwers that you would have a very difficult time using to injure someone, unless it was the person trying to use it, and that from a twisted back...

I believe by your objection you prove my point.  You specified (as I did when I said we'll ignore air guns for sake of argument) certain guns are designed for target practice.   Let's repeat that.  These guns you are mentioning are designed for a specific task - target practice.

My point was guns are designed to kill.  Your point is some guns are designed for target practice. 

So we both agree that tools are designed for a specific purpose and function.  We also agree that a sick, Satanic person can and will misuse a tool for a function other than it's intended design.   

We also agree that it's people directly or indirectly influenced by Satan who murder.

No, 'guns'...slug throwers, flame throwers, lasers, all can be used for a great variety of reasons..

So, let me ask, without trying to sound argumentative, besides target practice and killing, what other use are guns designed for? 

Brother Richard, you are killing me, no guns involved. Seriously, your humor cracks me up. I love funny stuff, and you are hilarious.

Tekmantwo is my older brother and I have a pretty good idea what his viewpoint is about guns so I think I know where this conversation is going. It may be worth grabbing a bag of popcorn and monitor the conversation..