JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Go Bag Readiness Reminder

Found this most excellent video whilst surfing the web.

Really drives home the importance of being prepared AHEAD of time.

I know I certainly picked up a few new pointers.

Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/aj.heath.73/videos/1010701838972794/

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

We actually just picked up two new (large) backpacks for this purpose. The bags we currently have are on the smaller side, and with having to pack for the dogs as well, we decided to invest in properly fitted hiking packs. Our packs have the same items in them for the most part (hubby's is larger and will hold more "extra" stuff), so we should still be okay in the event we can only keep one.

12 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

considering they contain factory-food processed to the point of barely still being food and all that. mhhh mhhh...

Yup, just like most of the fast food places in the USA....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

MREs are delicious

I've never had an MRE, however I have heard that MRE could stand for a lot of things and Most Revolting Experience was my favorite...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Well the first MRE has gone down the hatch and I enjoyed it A LOT

Just a quick reminder I thought of today, remember your medication in your bug-out-bag, it is extremely important!

If possible, try to also have a copy of a doctor's letter in your bag confirming your medical condition and the medication you're on. If you run out of life-sustaining meds, it may be vital to have some kind of documentation about your medical condition on you in case authorities have to ration medication.

Apart from usual copies of documentation, of course (passport, driver's license, social security etc.) - preferrably as carbon copy (USB sticks are pretty pointless, since you don't know if there will be a USB port to plug it in, nor electricity)

This is an interesting topic.  On a serious note, what basic necessities should one have, besides a blanket, torch (flashlight), radio and batteries and a jar of peanut butter?  (I remember a letter being read annually at the meetings about this.)  Is there anything else we can include if space allows?  

2 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

This is an interesting topic.  On a serious note, what basic necessities should one have, besides a blanket, torch (flashlight), radio and batteries and a jar of peanut butter?  (I remember a letter being read annually at the meetings about this.)  Is there anything else we can include if space allows?  

Plenty of ideas on other threads to this topic. Search for "bags" and you should find plenty of stuff

Glad this topic is brought back. I have to review my FEMA bag. In it I have a blanket wash clothes towel medicine soaps flashlight compass candle whistle matches winter pants with multi pockets warm gloves plastic gloves facial mask Brooklyn Lantern pairs of socks writing pad pen peroxide and alcohol wipes batteries...that's all I can remember, oh and a medicinal bottle of whiskey. Then I keep food such as canned tuna n salmon and veggies and dried fruit in the cupboard and along with water. Even after all this time I'm still working on my legal documents 

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

• 5 months later...

We had a guest speaker to visit our congregation this past Sunday and the theme of his public talk was "Gearing Up For Persecution".  Bro. Vincent reiterated that the trials and tribulations that we as Jehovah's people are experiencing now are, no doubt, preparing us for what's ahead, i.e., the GT.  Also, he mentioned an experience and a key point I thought were noteworthy.

1. During the horrendous aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, it was interesting how the brothers mobilized the friends at the New Orleans, Lousiana Superdome which was converted into a temporary refuge center one day before and several days after the storm.  He said there were brothers walking around the Superdome with a sign that asked: Are you one of Jehovah's Witnesses?  (They anticipated a deception from many), so three questions were asked of those who came to them:

Do you have a DPA with you?
When did you attend your last meeting?
What was discussed at that meeting?

That plan worked as it was a way to get the genuine friends together to render aide and give each other support during those difficult days.

2. He also reminded the audience about the directive from the GB about having on hand an emergency prepared kit/emergency go-bag.  He said that this reminder cannot be overstated.  In the event of an emergency or natural disaster, it is vital to have this protocol in place because rescue or first responders may not be able to reach you for several days.

What he said was so true.  We hear of natural disasters so often now, the most recent one being in Louisiana.  This talk was all the reminder I need to finish my go-bag hopefully within the next week or two.  (Now where did I put that peanut butter? ) 

Edited by Omo_Yeme

Some questions:

Where do you keep these bags? At home? What if we are not at home when an issue arises? Do we keep one in our vehicle? We are in service most days (pioneering) and the friends are generous in using their vehicles. Do we leave it in our hot car or try to find room in theirs? During the meetings do we put them in the coat room? Do you take one with you to conventions? How much food and clothing do you actually have? What type of disaster are you preparing for?

I’m not trying to be facetious but realistic.

Last week on a sunny, but breezy, day we sat outside on a Bible study. Lovely discussion. Phone is on vibrate so as not to disturb. Call came in. Message was left. We continued the study and checked the phone later.

A Iarge gust of wind dropped a tree on our roof.

Tree was removed, roof repaired. Damage wasn’t too bad.

But what if… it had been worse? More damage so we couldn’t enter our home? Started a fire and maybe no home? Rain came in and had water damage?

What if an earthquake occurred and we couldn’t get home?

As it was we had a snack for service and the clothes we were wearing.

Edited by outwalkin

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

What's this Sandra?

Durable Power of Attorney aka Advanced Medical Directive aka 'Blood Card' 

I keep my GO Bag in my house, and I carry Winter weather survival items in my vehicle.

For the longest time, some in our congregation thought the GO Bags were Armageddon Bags.

It took a while to convince them that our GO Bags were preparedness for NATURAL disasters, and NOT the GT.

I love how someone pointed out that there were no GO Bags in the 'basement video'.

That will be a time for reliance on JEHOVAH  for our survival.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

My mom's congregation seems to think the Go Bags are for Armageddon, too.  She was so surprised when I stated they were not... to the point of, "oh, I guess I can wait awhile to get that together.  Nothing happens in Chicagoland".   :mellow:

Ignoring the tornadoes that never hit exactly where she lives, the prevalence of flooding lately where it never flooded before, the warning from the Slave, etc...  it's interesting..

8 hours ago, outwalkin said:

Some questions:

Where do you keep these bags? At home? What if we are not at home when an issue arises? Do we keep one in our vehicle? W

I mentioned on another thread it makes sense to also have a "get-home-bag" in a car with one day's worth of food and supplies and a few little things like flashlight, carbon-copy of documents, tiny amount of cash, an emergency blanket and poncho etc.

The problem is that the food needs to be very heat- and cold-resistant. Also, water would need to be carried in and out of the car on very hot and cold days..