JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2933 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Dear, I want to ask. Did you notice that the quality of our videos and monthly program has become worse? Despite the fact that the video - 720p, but sometimes it does not hold up to 480p. What do you think, why it? Sorry for my English

No we haven't seen any quality issues. Crisp 720p all the way. Is your internet slow so the quality is defaulting to a lower selection? if this is the case it may be best to download the video instead of streaming it.

I thought the same thing about it being a slow internet connection. I do know of one or two videos (I don't recall which ones) that said they were 720p, but were in reality 540p or something similar. Can you give us an example of a video that you feel is lower quality than 720p?

It's not on the Internet, because before it was different. The image quality and clarity of the picture was much better. I watch the video already downloaded. For example, compare the program in November, December 2014 and today's program. I especially want to draw attention to the video: Large Convention in Stockholm—A Great Witness;  Joy of Conventions. Picture blurred

Yes, the videos on the Stockholm convention and Joy of Conventions are two of those videos that are actually 540p instead of 720p. I'm not sure why they were done that way, but I agree the quality is not quite as good because of the resolution. However, I don't see a drop in quality comparing the November or December 2014 and March 2016 monthly broadcasts. They were all done at 720p HD quality.

There is also something called bitrate, or maybe something else, that can differ from one video to another, and can therefore affect image quality. I am not really up to date in technical issues like that though.

Edited by Sheep

Not all the videos are produced at the same frame rate. For example the Introduction to Bible Books videos are produced at 23 frames per second where as others are 29.7 fps (frames per second) Yet others are at 25 fps.  I don't have problems with video quality but producing a DVD with multiple clips is hair razing because the audio gets out of sync  do to the different frame rates.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

In addition to the aforementioned things, keep in mind that the videos-in-the-video may not have been recorded at the same resolution or frame-rate as the rest of the monthly broadcast. When using an existing video, there is a limit to how much the existing video can be enhanced while being incorporated into the monthly broadcast.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

With the bitrates, there are differences in the bitrates the video are encoded with.  Most of JW Broadcasting videos and jw.org in 720p have a bitrate of about 1500 kbps.  The newer feature length videos (like True Love) are in 3000 kbps.  The streaming videos for assemblies and conventions seem to around 2000 kbps.  And the videos for the midweek meetings can vary between 1500 and 3000 kbps.

The November 2014 JW Broadcast is in 3000 kbps. It is the only one, if you want to compare the difference with bitrates.

With the differences in bitrates, I have not noticed any difference. 

On 3/13/2016 at 1:26 AM, kvazar said:

Dear, I want to ask. Did you notice that the quality of our videos and monthly program has become worse? Despite the fact that the video - 720p, but sometimes it does not hold up to 480p. What do you think, why it? Sorry for my English

I haven't seen a difference in quality, however, if your internet speed is not up to par, it will slow it down.

It's not on the Internet, because before it was different. The image quality and clarity of the picture was much better. I watch the video already downloaded. For example, compare the program in November, December 2014 and today's program. I especially want to draw attention to the video: Large Convention in Stockholm—A Great Witness;  Joy of Conventions. Picture blurred