JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2882 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

WIll, or trust? Sort of irrelevant, for us. They will fight and scrap until Armageddon. Even people who die with little means, do just that. With land and money, people's pure unadulterated greed steps forth. Sometimes it is so ugly, I don't know how they can enjoy their ill gotten whatever. In reality, what do we need? Enough to take care of what we need to take care of, personally, and a bit to share. I I'll bet rich people have rooms in their homes that they rarely enter. Nevermind the upkeep. We all know a simple life is desirable. 

Hmmm, irrelevant. maybe that's why, according to his sister and the press, Bro. Prince didn't make out a will. He had a better hope that all the material things will never even come close to match. And besides, if he didn't, maybe he just didn't want the scrabble over it that could happen no matter if he did set out his instructions as to who gets what.

I've heard of arguments, etc, among family, etc about who should get what or who got what...even though the deceased clearly laid down his or her desires. Maybe Bro. Prince tried to avoid that while alive.

I was talking to a brother yesterday that told me a story about Bro Nelson, a friend of ours was an Attendant at the District Convention at the San Francisco Cow Palace a few years ago and a large man asked him for some seats that were out of the way and wouldn't create any undo attention, as the brother was talking to the man he found out the man was Brother Nelsons body guard and Brother Nelson was standing behind him. The brother said that Brother Nelson was very small, like a child and they ended up sitting in one of the upper rows in the main seating area.

(Precision; our large German friend was the attendant)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Richard, the seating situation at that convention indicates to me another evidence of Bro. Prince's humility. He obviously had his body guard approach the attendant with that request. 

And on a side note, since that man was Bro. Prince's bodyguard, the bodyguard couldn't leave him which meant he stayed for the entire session. Makes me wonder what effect the program had on him. I'm hoping it was positive, so positive that the bodyguard began studying and is now serving Jehovah. Who knows? We may never know this side of Armageddon. 

The article mentions that after his (2003) Baptism, Prince Rogers Nelson no longer performed  x rated material. Other articles mentioned that he was always religious and was previously an adherent to another faith.  Does it register to anyone at all that members of ' some other religions' have no compunction regarding the (lack of ) values displayed, promoted, and accepted ?

7 hours ago, kejedo said:

The article mentions that after his (2003) Baptism, Prince Rogers Nelson no longer performed  x rated material. Other articles mentioned that he was always religious and was previously an adherent to another faith.  Does it register to anyone at all that members of ' some other religions' have no compunction regarding the (lack of ) values displayed, promoted, and accepted ?

Until the very recent past very few of us had any real idea what Prince's standing in the congregation was.  Even now we don't know much more and even then "being in good standing" does not actually mean very much since none of us really know what anyone else's real relationship with Jehovah is.   TBH, even some that might be considered spiritually weak can be in good standing if they are not under restrictions. 

So if we can't do much more than attach presumptions to media statements on Prince we can't really say what Prince's "standing" as a Seven Day Adventist was or how that Church viewed his status.

Plenty of other celebrities with some kind of Witness connection invite media comment as well.  Yet we don't equate some kind of association with the Truth as some stake in the ground that that person is representing the best of Bible's values or being indicative of the vast majority.  For example, every time we see one of the Williams sisters do or say something that some might regard as questionable the comments from individual Witnesses distancing them from the organisation come out.  Have you ever seen an official statement about the Williams sisters?  No.  Does that mean the brothers in Brooklyn condone whatever they may do?  Of course not.

Prince living an immoral life and singing about the most outrageous things does not in anyway suggest the Seven Day Adventists condoned his behaviour or accepted his lifestyle any more than the behaviour of the Williams or anyone else with some little link to the organisation suggests approval from the top down or even that they have some kind of regular activity consistent with a worshipper of Jehovah.

The fact that Prince's behaviour and attitude appeared to change after his introduction to the Truth says vary little to me about how he viewed his previous associations and how he was view by those who followed Adventism far more closely than him.

1 hour ago, seagull said:

The fact that Prince's behaviour and attitude appeared to change after his introduction to the Truth says vary little to me about how he viewed his previous associations and how he was view by those who followed Adventism far more closely than him.

Very good points - but I might add, when people heard he was an "Adventist", they did not remark things like "Wow! And he calls himself an Adventist!" like they do when one is associated with being a Witness.

So, while the "church" may not "condone" what some members of various religions do, the majority of people are not shocked if they discover that such a person with questionable or outright outlandish behavior is a member of one of BTG religions - like they are when they learn that someone is, or has become, a JW.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

So many times, I end up seeing something on the media that I would have rather not seen. (My husband watches, "reality" shows, and if I flee when something like this comes up, will he feel I can't stand up to it? That I am ashamed of who I am? Etc) 

Anyway, I think, here we go again. I sort of think along these lines. First, Satan controls the media, so, no big deal. Secondly, is it  more is expected of us?  Then, unless it is some sort of, "religious" leader, why is it common, ordinary people don't get their religion announced? Like, a Lutheran, Adventist, etc. Maybe, it is because all around us know who we are, religiously speaking. 

If I am by myself, and suspect something goofy is coming on tv, I shut it down. 

Poor brother Nelson. Not much to add. Yes, it would have been nice if he had made prior arrangements, but, he was young,  and, I do not think led the type of life that invited death. Probably pretty innocent as far as drugs are concerned, and, maybe that is what killed him. When he is awoken, all of us will be balanced as far as humans with great talents are concerned. And, guess what? Even those of us who love music a great deal can excell ourselves at something we only dream of. Playing wonderful instruments. And I suspect brother Nelson would be a fine teacher. Of many instruments!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

You are right. It is just noteworthy to me, at least, that some others recognize  that becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses represents a standard of behavior. I only watched part of this long ago, and a smidgen recently, but on a George Lopez show interview, Mr. LOpez apologized to Prince Nelson for almost swearing.  Brother Nelson responded, "If I can give up swearing, anyone can." 

NOte: Swearing as in abusive speech, not as in swearing to an oath.  I can only imagine what the contract caveats were in his business contracts compared to other performers. 

Example: a performer who wanted M and M's provided, but all the brown ones removed."

I was in the checkout line at the grocery store yesterday and I picked up the People magazine with Prince on the cover and started leafing through it to find the article while I was waiting.  Only had time to look at the pictures in the article but one of the pictures is of Br. Nelson lying on his couch reading his bible (it was one of the older black soft-covered bibles before 2013).  Thought it was interesting that out of all the pictures they could of put in that article that this was one of them.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

33C953A500000578-0-image-a-10_1462281897

'His Biggest Joy Was Sharing the Hope Of Everlasting Life'

Bassist Who Brought Prince to Jehovah's Witness Speaks About the Star's Beliefs and How They Would Talk About the Bible All Night

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3570682/Bassist-Prince-real-happiness-Jehovahs-Witness.html

Nice new interview with Larry Graham and a great 6 minute concert clip of Larry performing with GCS w/ special guest Prince.

Prince Found 'Real Happiness' as Jehovah's Witness, Talking about the Bible, longtime friend and Bassist says 

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/arts/prince-found-real-happiness-as-jehovahs-witness-talking-about-bible-longtime-friend-and-bassist-says

Great article from Prince's tour bus driver...talks about how many Kingdom Hall parking lots he had to maneuver this huge tour bus around :D since he had to find a hall for Prince to go to every weekend...says Prince always wanted the driver to go with him to the meetings and they would sit together, Prince sharing his Bible with him.

Nice 'tip' Prince gave the driver at the end of the tour! B)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7341551/prince-former-tour-bus-driver-recalls-quiet-moments-road

The 911 call always disturbed me...how was the caller at Prince's house but had no idea of the address and had to find mail in order to give them an accurate address...his aides and his regular crew would know...if u don't even know the address, why and how are u there?

Now we know why I guess.

Very sad if this timeline is indeed confirmed to be correct.....

Prince Died Amid Frantic Plans for Drug Addiction Treatment

http://m.startribune.com/addiction-doctor-was-to-have-seen-prince-just-before-his-death/378051471/

2 minutes ago, lcw said:

The 911 call always disturbed me...how was the caller at Prince's house but had no idea of the address and had to find mail in order to give them an accurate address...his aides and his regular crew would know...if u don't even know the address, why and how are u there?

I do not know the address to:

My Kingdom Hall (I do know what street and city)

My Assembly Hall   (I do know what street and city)

My In-Laws house  (I do know what street and city)

This despite the fact I've lived here (and been married) for 13 years.

Even if I had placed Paisley Park address in my GPS I would not be able to recall it under those circumstances.

I know this for a fact.

Prior to the 911 system I had an employee suffer a 30 ft fall, bouncing off scaffolding frames on his way down. He was passing in and out consciousness, bleeding was minor. I ran a hundred yards to the job shack, called the emergency number, gasping for breath I identified myself and asked for emergency personnel and ran back with a blanket and first aid kit. Injured party was trying to get to his feet. Forced him to lay down wondering why the emergency vehicles had not arrived. By the time they showed up the injured man was walking around holding a bandage to his head. The EMT checked him out and left. I returned to the construction shack and the phone was ringing, it was my office. They congratulated me on my prompt action, and informed me the EMTs would have gotten there much faster if I had told them where I was calling from.  :( EMTs called my office to find the location of the jobsite.

Like Shawn, I can get there, but address and sometimes street name fail me. Occasionally I am not sure of the city I am in, especially when visiting LA.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Yep! There's even places I visit (stores, museums, etc) that I don't know the address of. Sometimes even the homes of the friends I can't tell you the addresses of. I just know the building(s). One time a gathering was held at one, I asked for the address, and whoop! Just like that once I was inside completely forgot it and still do as I'm "writing" this. But I can tell you what house it is...I think. 

Edited by Luezette

12 minutes ago, Old said:

Even if I had placed Paisley Park address in my GPS I would not be able to recall it under those circumstances.

I know this for a fact.

Prior to the 911 system I had an employee suffer a 30 ft fall, bouncing off scaffolding frames on his way down. He was passing in and out consciousness, bleeding was minor. I ran a hundred yards to the job shack, called the emergency number, gasping for breath I identified myself and asked for emergency personnel and ran back with a blanket and first aid kit. Injured party was trying to get to his feet. Forced him to lay down wondering why the emergency vehicles had not arrived. By the time they showed up the injured man was walking around holding a bandage to his head. The EMT checked him out and left. I returned to the construction shack and the phone was ringing, it was my office. They congratulated me on my prompt action, and informed me the EMTs would have gotten there much faster if I had told them where I was calling from.  :( EMTs called my office to find the location of the jobsite.

Like Shawn, I can get there, but address and sometimes street name fail me. Occasionally I am not sure of the city I am in, especially when visiting LA.

I had First Responder training many years and one thing I remember is to always send two people to the phone to call for help, so at least one of them remembers the address.  That was before cell phones...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Unfortunately, the ease of cell phones has lost many the need/ability to memorize lots of things.  I knew dozens of phone numbers and addresses by heart when I was younger, just because I had to.

With speed dial and maps, you barely need to know your own address anymore...  :mellow:

Hope. Heehee. That is why I actually have my phone numbers written in my cell's "Memo" in case I forget. And why? Because I actually forgot my own cell number one day while giving it to a sister. One sister called me, she put another on the phone, that one wanted my numbers, I was giving it to her, went completely blank for my other number, so I told her to get it from "so and so" since she called me. Even after we hung up I went in a tizzy trying to remember my number! Yep, I went as far as logging onto my cell carrier for the number.

It's crazy!!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2882 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.