JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I had First Responder training many years and one thing I remember is to always send two people to the phone to call for help, so at least one of them remembers the address.  That was before cell phones...

Good advice. Difficult with small crew.

I did learn my lesson, after the incident above I always posted the job address and job phone on the wall beside the phone. Unfortunately had to use it a number of times through the years. Only two required a ride in an ambulance. Three never left the jobsite. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Hope. Heehee. That is why I actually have my phone numbers written in my cell's "Memo" in case I forget. And why? Because I actually forgot my own cell number one day while giving it to a sister. One sister called me, she put another on the phone, that one wanted my numbers, I was giving it to her, went completely blank for my other number, so I told her to get it from "so and so" since she called me. Even after we hung up I went in a tizzy trying to remember my number! Yep, I went as far as logging onto my cell carrier for the number.

It's crazy!!

I put myself in my "contacts" with all phone numbers!  Don't you have all those phone numbers listed with the names of the people in your contacts on your phone?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I certainly don't know about other people's health issues (Hippa) but I do have a close relative who was run over by a truck  (drunk driver) and was misdiagnosed as sprained ankle. Subsequent ER visits  revealed that he had compartment syndrome and nearly lost his leg. He has had a number of surgeries since then and faces at least two more surgeries. During this course of medical malfeasance, he was given RX painkillers and that presented an additional problem. It is not uncommon for physicians to create new problems through pain (mis) management. 

Synopsis: Drunk driver nearly kills pedestrian; pedestrian is misdiagnosed and then prescribed long term pain meds creating new medical challenges for victim. p.s. MY dear relative has been told that docs are reluctant to complete the two remaining surgeries b/c he could be put back in to "day one of compartment syndrome," and risk losing leg.   

The faulty diagnosis at orig hosp reminds me of some "myths" I have heard during the past days: EX: 

I. We are all required to be cremated within 24 hours of death.

ii. We are all Vegans

iii. We decline all medical treatment

iv. I have heard some reports that are questionable at best, but I will not repeat them. And I am deliberately trying to avoid media non-communication.

v. Of course, I am also the ex fiancé of a celebrity b/c I saw him mouth the words 'marry me' or  "Mickey Mouse" during a performance. Either it was a proposal or a Disneyland Promo. Maybe it is a Disney Afternoon.

Anyone who feels this  post is sardonic, sarcastic, or senseless, please remove.    Your sardonic, sarcastic, senseless, and Mythtified Sis.

Edited by kejedo

paragraphs

6 minutes ago, shali said:

I put myself in my "contacts" with all phone numbers!  Don't you have all those phone numbers listed with the names of the people in your contacts on your phone?

My daughters,  two of them Nurses, somewhat beat that into me. I have an 'ICE' category,  (and that doesn't mean to put me on ice)

I have all my important,  In Case of Emergency contacts there, with a brief bio if needed...

Now that I have, the ICE thing. I find that, other than the intent purpose, as in emergences, it helps me to "remember" all of my meds. And the word  "remember" is not to be taken literally. When the medical people needs to know what I take, or when filling out forms, I just grab my phone and read them off. It's sooo convenient. 

Edited by Luezette

That's why I have the "no blood" app on my cell phone with a big ole widget that says "NO BLOOD".  Once they click on it, all the info they need is there including photocopies of my blood card, emergency contacts and allergies/med's I'm on.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

7 minutes ago, Old said:

That is good idea listing ICE in your Contacts.  That will be the the first place the medics will search, well before they search your purse.  

LOL...

Yeah,  I  used to never even carry a wallet,  always just remembered what I needed and carried cash in a pocket. Now it's no memory, cell phone, wallet full of junk, and a wife.....couldn't live without her. And her purse...

Age is showing here. When I became 18 the draft Laws required I carry my draft card with me at all times (well not in the shower or swimming.) Got use to it and now I can't hardly walk without a wallet in my pocket.

I found out early not a good idea to place cell phone in back pocket if you are a tad over weight.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Pauline, I tried to formally quote a part of your comment but had a problem doing it.

Soooo, I don't think your comment was "sardonic, sarcastic, or senseless." 

As a matter of fact, and especially the part about cremation within 24 hrs, being a vegan, and declining medical treatment is actually sad. They obviously have us mixed up with other religious groups. Orrr, as far as the vegan part goes, maybe they feel that way because some of us visit and believe in natural/organic foods. Which is really okay. I do because for one I just can't stomach chemically laden foods. I can actually smell/taste the differences. 

A couple of times I'm visiting a Whole Foods store, my shopping cart half filled, literature in full view, and a lady gave me that smile.  Was she thinking that we JW's are vegans? Who knows? 

As far as the cremation within 24 hrs. are concerned, don't the Jews practice that?

Then there's the refusing medical treatment belief. Oh my goodness! All we do is refuse ALL blood and blood products and now we're refusing medical treatment per se? Right! So what happened to the brains ability to figure things out for yourself when confronted with evidence that we welcome medical intervention by the very fact that we go to doctors for care, and not only that, but you see us at the various clinics, hospitals, etc? And not only that but you know for a fact and not hearsay, that some doctors/nurses and other health professionals are Jehovah's witnesses?

41 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Anyone who feels this  post is sardonic, sarcastic, or senseless, please remove.    Your sardonic, sarcastic, senseless, and Mythtified Sis.

Not in the least, why would you think that? (Reminder I must remove tongue from cheek before grinding my teeth.)

I really think people in general are afraid to be different. Different as far as not going along with the crowd. That maybe if they refrain from practicing copy cat thinking, they'll be cut off from the general population. And they probably will. 

Yet, most decide to allow others to think for them. One proof is the following, especially when the blood situation comes up: 

"I heard your don't take blood." Hmmm, so far so good.

But then:

"If I or my child needs to go to the doctor I'm taking him"! 

So what do we do or what do I do? I commend them. Simple. Though knowing full well it's not going to end there. Sooo....

"I just don't understand how you people can allow your child to die by not accepting blood"!

It appears then that they're somehow equating going to the doctor with accepting blood or in this case, not accepting blood. It's sad how, not only does Satan blind their eyes, but he's also causing mass confusion in their thinking! He doesn't want his followers to think, and to think for themselves, to use "thinking ability."

6 minutes ago, Luezette said:

"If I or my child needs to go to the doctor I'm taking him"! 

I can picture the conversation...

"Me too!, but if he tries to use leeches on my baby, I'm leaving!"

"Doctors don't use leeches.."

"They use to but they finally learned it didn't help. They still use blood transfusions even though there is evidence they don't help and God has said not to do it, can I show you?"

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

And frankly Jerry, I don't think it a good idea placing a cell phone in the back pocket anyway. 

I mean,  I really don't understand how people can do that! Even the police department cautions people (at least here in NYC) about carrying valuables in full view, their back pocket. 

There are professional pickpockets. They know just how to remove your valuables without you knowing it, before you take your next breath. 

A sister and I were walking in the street and we noted how these young girls were switching down the street, engrossed in conversation, phones in their jeans pocket.

So we made up a likely conversation how they could lose their phones.

A boy calls out: "Hey girl/mama/baby!" (here in NYC). Of course she pretends to ignore him. She continues jiggling down the street. 

He calls out again, but this time going after her just a little bit. Now she pretends to continue jiggling down the street.

By this time he's almost up upon her, feigning indignation at her ignoring him. But wait! Do you see his hand raised just a bit, next to her buttocks? Look closely. Yep, right there! You see it. A professional! 

But because she's enjoying the attention, she doesn't see it, not really, at least where it counts, so she coyly looks at him halfway behind her and asks "who me"?

Mission accomplished! 

He says: "Naw baby. I just wanted you to say hello to you, but yous too fine and lovely for me. So I gots ya. You go on with your fine self!" And she does, but because she feel that she'll run into him again and now he knows "where I stand" she's happy.

Happy until she realizes something. He stole her phone. 

Lol. Sorry y'all. I just felt like putting a little drama in the perils of carrying a phone in your back pocket. Not saying this happens all the time or even that way. But it could.

In the days when we wore those over shoulder rope bags, I was on a Boston Subway, one time. A fellow female passenger looked at me and said, "Do you know he has his hand in your purse?" We both glared at a young man, who removed his hand, empty. On crowded public transportation, it is difficult to be aware if someone is pick-pocketing. 

As for the above scenario, I definitely think brother Jerry should take heed re: the dangers of getting one's phone lifted. 

That NY dialogue sounds familiar to me.

Also, making a pocket call has been re-named for those who keep their phone in back pocket. How rude.  A pocket call by any other name should be less descriptive.

And once again there are about three people on this forum who "get me." That is a very high ratio, since in any given room, there is maybe one person who understands moi. When we have uber-covered a subject , I tend to resort to (?) comic relief.  Perhaps from my non nationality, non gendered, non geographically specific, non racial, up-dragging.  This is still a serious subject with heartfelt prayers, meditation,  and feelings of loss.  

16 hours ago, Old said:

That is good idea listing ICE in your Contacts.  That will be the the first place the medics will search, well before they search your purse.  

My phone has a "lock screen message" option, which I have set to "call xxx-xxx-xxxx if found. NO BLOOD TRANSFUSION". (the phone number is my husband's cell number). His number is also my ICE contact.

The phone also has a "panic" option: if I press the power key three times in rapid succession, it will send a message to my husband. The message contains pictures taken by both the front and back cameras, as well as a few seconds of audio recorded at the time of me pressing the button. (of course, don't mistake that for the volume button as you're exiting the train downtown and wondering why it's not getting any louder - that prompted a worried phone call from my hubby as I was making my way down the stairs at the station...)

18 hours ago, Old said:

They do use leeches in modern medicine, though probably not on babies.

http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/modern-leeching/

Maggots too, but that is another conversation...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

You're right Pauline. It's hard to beware of a pickpocket on a train. And because of that, maybe that's why I sometimes have an attitude, therefore like to sit by myself in one of those corner seats with my body turned toward everyone which makes me feel like I "can see the world" sort of. If that's not possible I coyly watch my fellow passengers, and at times straight in the eyeball. No, that's not foolproof, and a few may say/feel that's dangerous but whatcha gonna do? During those times when I'm in service on the trains, I'm very careful who I approach. It's not that I'm being judgmental but Jesus did say to be cautious, and so try to keep that in mind especially when by myself which sometimes you can't help, for instance when keeping appts. 

I use that same scripture when walking by myself in service, for instance, to field svc mtg, and after the territory is finished, appts/errands/etc.  I do not approach men for the most part, people obviously on drugs, etc. If with the friends that's different. 

Starting this off with a big just kidding... Sent this to my bros:

Hope I don't pray tonight... I might breakout a... "dearly beloved we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life..."

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I open up with prayer tonight!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OT, There are some buildings in our territory that our Service Overseer does not allow the sisters to do.  He will assign those high risk (shooting galleries) to a few brothers to do at once. If we get a BS who moves into one of such bldgs  (or we got them outdoors), the brother tells us to keep our call (study) outdoors, so that we don't get caught in one of the hallways.   It's a world gone mad.

5/6/16 "At the time of autopsy, a source told ET that ______ did have some health issues - he was battling the flu, which then turned into walking pneumonia." Walking pneumonia can kill you.  I have had walking pneumonia and felt like I was dying. I certainly would have accepted medication that was prescribed to me.  And by that, I mean prescribed to me by a physician and not by Doctor arsenio.  p.s. Not all controlled substances are opiates. Just a thought

Edited by kejedo

not finished.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.