JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2878 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Tbs77 said:

Thanks for the article.

Prince and MJ certainly had a lot in common. Both musical geniuses, although different and distinct from each other, both had complicated relationships with their father along with strange, sometimes traumatic, and basically non-existent childhoods. Both grew suspicious of the record company biz and were smart, intelligent businessmen when it came to the music biz and artists' rights. And it's clear now that they both were so driven to please their fans and keep the show going no matter what, even when it was a detriment to their own physical and emotional well-being.

There really was no 'there there' in terms of this so-called rivalry between these 2, and if there was, it was a friendly rivalry due to their competitiveness. It's clear that as they both matured and grew older, they came to really respect and admire each other even more.

I always somehow wished that they would become friends and help each other navigate the crazy world that only they knew.

Despite all the glitz and glamour, it had to be lonely at the top.

I just read an article recently where Prince said (post MJ's 2009 death) that he wished that he would have been able to talk to Michael more about spirituality and the Jehovah's Witness faith and life in general.

Email Details Plans for Prince's  Kingdom Hall Funeral Sunday May 15, 2016

Updated: 05/13/2016 4:53 AM KSTP.com

By: Katherine Johnson & Nate Leding

prince2007superbowlapchrisomeara.jpg

An email obtained by 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS details plans concerning a funeral for Prince this weekend.

Minnetonka Police Chief Jeff Sebenaler confirmed with KSTP’s Katherine Johnson that Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall at 13001 Lake Street Extension asked the department to help with traffic and crowd control.

According to the email sent by Sebenaler on Tuesday to police staff, the funeral is scheduled to take place at the church at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday.

The email states that the event is to be private and is invite only.

The police department is expecting 300-500 guests, according to the email.

The police chief’s email states that 30-50 of the guests are considered “high profile”.

Last week, Prince's six surviving siblings said in a statement that, contrary to reports, no public memorial, funeral or tribute service has been organized or authorized by his family or Paisley Park representatives.

Prince died April 21 at his Paisley Park home and recording complex in suburban Minneapolis. Investigators still do not know Prince's official cause of death - that is part of the toxicology report, which has yet to be released.

Agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration revisited the scene at Paisley Park in Chanhassen Tuesday evening as "a component of a complete investigation."

Investigators brought a large suitcase on wheels into the compound, big enough to hold the paper trail they're following.

Multiple law enforcement sources say the DEA is probing the link between Prince and the addiction doctor in California, if someone else gave Prince the narcotics and if Prince was using his real name or an alias to get painkillers. Authorities are searching for paperwork to support their theory, including records like canceled checks, credit card charges and statements, bank documents and examining Prince's medical history, even his personal relationships.

The visit follows the release of a search warrant for Prince’s medical records, which shows the musician received a prescription shortly before his death and that the physician who prescribed it worked for North Memorial Clinic in Minnetonka.
The physician, identified as Dr. Michael Schulenberg (although misspelled as "Schulemberg" in the warrant), said he prescribed Prince medication on April 7 and that it was to be filled at a Walgreens, according to the warrant.

Prince also underwent tests on April 20, according to the document, and Schulenberg was dropping off the results at Paisley Park on the following day, the day of Prince’s death.

The search warrant also states investigators were told Prince was treated for an illness sometime in 2014 or 2015 at Ridgeview Hospital in Chaska. There were no details explaining why he needed treatment.

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS reported prescription pills were recovered at Paisley Park the day Prince was found dead.

According to two law enforcement sources close to the investigation, the potent painkiller Percocet was found in Prince's system. Percocet contains oxycodone and acetaminophen, which also showed up in his system, according to sources.

While Prince had known hip problems, it's unknown whether he was taking Percocet to treat the pain. The sources also said Prince had a dangerously low red blood cell count, meaning he had been sick.

http://kstp.com/news/email-details-p...ntrol/4136002/

Up to 500 people, including 50 high-profile guests, are expected at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses for the 5 p.m. Sunday service.

By Rochelle Olson Star Tribune

May 13, 2016 — 3:09pm

A private, invitation-only memorial with up to 500 guests is planned Sunday for Prince at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Minnetonka.

City spokeswoman Kari Spreeman said Minnetonka police were notified of the event, which starts at 5 p.m., so they could provide extra officers to maintain traffic flow and safety. “We have to be there to make sure it runs as smoothly as possible,” she said, confirming that police were told to prepare for up to 50 high-profile guests.

Prince, who had been part of the religion since 2003, was a regular at Sunday services at the Minnetonka church when he was in town. Known to fellow congregants as “Brother Nelson,” he would sit quietly with his Bible for a two-hour service that began with a hymn.

In the tradition of Prince’s faith, the memorial service on Sunday isn’t expected to last beyond half an hour, Spreeman said.

The beefed up traffic control around the church at 13001 Lake Street Extension is provided at no cost. However, Spreeman said the church had privately hired and will pay for extra security on the church premises.

The service is one of several for Prince since he was found dead in his Paisley Park studio-home in Chanhassen on the morning of April 21. Days later a private event for family and close friends was held at Paisley Park.

Prince’s sister, Tyka Nelson, took to Facebook on Friday to say neither she nor her brother’s remains would be at the service on Sunday because “once is enough” and the family is working a public “memorial/funeral/tribute” here in August. She said to expect “more updates soon.”

Prince’s two ex-wives, Manuela Testolini and Mayte Garcia, held a private, luminary-filled service in Los Angeles on Wednesday night. Among the speakers were director Spike Lee and producer-musician Nile Rodgers. Mavis Staples attended. Esperanza Spaulding performed and the service opened with a rendition of the Prince song, “Sometimes It Snows in April.”

After that event, Lee posted on Instagram that he planned another celebration in Brooklyn on June 4, three days ahead of what would have been Prince’s 58th birthday. Lee said details would be forthcoming but guests should start planning their purple outfits.

Tyka Nelson said grief is unique so she supports “any and all memorials or funerals that have happened and/or are being planned.”

Twitter: @rochelleolson

http://www.startribune.com/private-prince-service-planned-for-sunday-at-his-minnetonka-church/379413181/

It's understandable that the congregation would want to hold a memorial for one of its own.  Who KNOWS what madness the other memorials will get up to, with no real knowledge or respect for Bro Nelson's beliefs.

At least there will be this one service that would've met his approval.  This is still a very real reminder, however, to have a will in place.  So much of the aggravation being experienced would likely be lessened if Prince's affairs were in order first. :( 

An invitation only memorial? That is interesting. Typically do not approve of invitation only weddings at the KH. 

Special deeds for special needs I guess. Makes sense.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Well, at least one thing is made clear by this memorial coming up: Bro. Prince was indeed in good standing! 

Somehow I knew it all along! 

And this week while in street work with a brother, a man walked up to us and asked about it. Yep, and this was of course before the Memorial announcement here, we told him that yes indeed Prince was one of Jehovah's witnesses! So proud!

1 hour ago, Old said:

An invitation only memorial? That is interesting. Typically do not approve of invitation only weddings at the KH. 

Could be the usual word of mouth invite for the Congregation,  others could be left to assume it was a written invite and they didn't get one...

13 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Could be the usual word of mouth invite for the Congregation,  others could be left to assume it was a written invite and they didn't get one...

I'll hazard a guess (meaning of course that I really have no idea) that the congregation members are included in the "invitation only" and that it has to be that way to avoid what would otherwise surely be a media circus.  The brothers want this to be the dignified service that it should be.

17 hours ago, kejedo said:

I doubt Brother Nelson would have struck up a friendship with Mr. Jackson, since Jackson was formally disassociated from the Brentwood California Cong in 1987. 

This is probaby why is said that he "wished" he could of talk to MJ about spirituality because he knew in actuality, that he couldn't.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

17 hours ago, kejedo said:

I doubt Brother Nelson would have struck up a friendship with Mr. Jackson, since Jackson was formally disassociated from the Brentwood California Cong in 1987. 

Semantics maybe? To be accurate, no one is formally or informally disasassociated from the congregation. They disassociate themselves. The current announcement is identical to the one used to announce a disfellowshipment  "-------------  ----------------- is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses"

MJ by action or by statement disassociated himself from Jehovah's Witnesses. I guess it could be construed that the announcement is a formal pronouncement of his status, but in my many years I have never been involved in disassociating anyone, only in making a determination that they have already done so.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Yes, these days the public announcement is the same. But in 1980s, it was announced that Mr M Jackson had disassociated himself.  My understanding is that event would likely be preceded by a letter from  the individual. (Back  in the day). Hey, I'm nobody from no-wheres-ville  and have no family members in  the truth.  I used 'formally' to mean 'publically' and  that a letter had probably preceded the announcement, and some elders in the cong would know before the announcement. A sad time for all.  

Y (needs to be readjusted so often, I should see a  chiropractor) S

Edited by kejedo

?

Friend is such a loose term when it comes to the media and worldly people's opinions.  What they call friends we call acquaintances.  Just look at Facebook.  All those people on someone’s friend list aren't genuine friends. 

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Hope said:

It's understandable that the congregation would want to hold a memorial for one of its own.  Who KNOWS what madness the other memorials will get up to, with no real knowledge or respect for Bro Nelson's beliefs.

At least there will be this one service that would've met his approval.  This is still a very real reminder, however, to have a will in place.  So much of the aggravation being experienced would likely be lessened iIif Prince's affairs were in order first. :( 

I agree. His sister Tyra claims to have known what he would have wanted in event of his death (cremation etc.) but it sounds like the infighting  led to them cancelling what they had originally planned just to have that haphazard, hastily planned 'memorial' at Paisley Park.

Here, every person that's ever spoken about Prince since his death, from big name celebrities to his inner circle, have expressed over and over again how important his faith was to him.

Many things are still a mystery and unknown. But what we DO know is that he most certainly would have wanted to have his memorial service at the Kingdom Hall and have his brothers and sisters who knew him and loved him be able to say a proper goodbye.

Interestingly enough,  the family turned down the invitation to attend with Tyra going out of her way to distance herself from this Kingdom Hall memorial service due to start in less than 1 hour.

But of course it's all about what her brother would want.

:uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh:

You're right about the will. Can't believe he didn't have one. But everyone says he came to hate legal contracts and such but that's no excuse.

But he knew material possessions meant nothing in the long run and he probably reasoned on letting them have at it and self-destruct fighting over what's left behind. Because no doubt that is what is going to happen.

MJ left an iron clad will that experts say is the model for what to do when you have a large estate to leave behind. And still look at all the infighting and turmoil among MJ'S siblings and parents and MJ's estate executors that has STILL gone on DESPITE having a will!

Greed is greed, especially when hundreds of millions of dollars is involved.

Still, being a meticulous perfectionist, I am still shocked that he would want his estate and his music in the hands of his siblings who have the shady past that they do.

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Luezette said:

Well, at least one thing is made clear by this memorial coming up: Bro. Prince was indeed in good standing! 

Somehow I knew it all along! 

And this week while in street work with a brother, a man walked up to us and asked about it. Yep, and this was of course before the Memorial announcement here, we told him that yes indeed Prince was one of Jehovah's witnesses! So proud!

And it's funny to see his fans on the net still in disbelief that Prince, our Brother Nelson, had turned his life around and was still dedicated to the faith up till the end.

It is downright SAD seeing some of them talk about unnamed sources saying that he was 'quietly disassociating' himself from the Witnesses and saying they refuse to believe that he is in good standing.

They claim to be fans, but quickly disregard the most important part of his life by his own words, just because they disagree with his choice.

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Old said:

I've never been to a Kingdom Hall wedding that was NOT  by invitation only.

Funeral or memorial talk.....no.

In this case though, imagine that every brother or sister there now has 30 of their closet relatives that they have been begging to come to the KH for 20 years now :lol:, all of sudden miraculously want to attend today just to say they were at Prince's memorial service.

So I can see the brothers having some system in place to make sure things don't get out of hand.

1 hour ago, lcw said:

I've never been to a Kingdom Hall wedding that was NOT  by invitation only.

I find this interesting.

Is an announcement made that "the wedding this coming Saturday at 3 'O' clock is by invitation only?"

*** w84 4/15 p. 15 par. 19 Christian Weddings That Bring Joy ***

19 If the Kingdom Hall is to be used, a brief announcement may be made concerning the time of the wedding. In that way the congregation will know that the Hall will be in use and they can attend if they choose."

I have been under the impression for many years that weddings at the KH were for purpose of a witness. Essentially the same as the rest of the congregation meetings. Though invitations are occasionally passed out, I have only heard of one that was done as an invitation only (for the wedding ceremony.) When the CO heard about it we were told "No more," that a wedding is an announced meeting open to the congregation and visitors.  

The reception which is not held at the KH can be invitation only.

Anyone else on this?  :confused:

I think the brothers did well in making Bro. Prince's memorial by invite only. This way, I think it was mentioned, it avoided a mass who's who type of gathering. 

And you never know, we don't know what effect this may have had on those who were there. There might be more studies started. We don't know. 

Nevertheless,  it sounded like a very fine witness was given...all to Jehovah's praise!

Well, that's that. Truly he was, indeed, our brother. I knew it all the time. Don't ask me how. I just knew.

So the talks are over. Rumors swashed. Done. 

I don't want to hear anymore negativity. 

I took some pictures of the obituary posted on here on my phone camera for some just in case doubters. 

Edited by Luezette

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2878 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.