JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2857 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

More press about Prince.

Prince became a Jehovah's Witness in 2003, and the denomination released a statement saying it is saddened by his death.
"Prince found fulfillment as a Witness and in sharing his faith with others," the statement read.
"Our thoughts are with his family and friends, particularly his fellow worshipers at the Saint Louis Park congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Minnesota. We hope that all find comfort in the Bible's promise of a future time when death, pain and tears will be no more."

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, ash_dawson said:

I said what we hear in the media are partial truths.  Did he pray on behalf of the congregation? Give talks? 

Prayer in behalf of the Congregation would only be given by an  elder or servant.  Not every baptized Witnesses in good standing gives talks or is enrolled in the ministry school.   These questions are not a valid means of determining anything. 

Again,  let's stop wondering or commenting or questioning Prince's standing in the congregation. 

Edited by Shawnster

I'm struggling with words that he was in good standing. Particularly because of the group he worked with, Third Eye Blind, and the imagery he's been using at his recent concerts, showing himself with a third eye. The third eye is an esoteric symbol rooted in Hinduism, and when I saw him using it, it made me wonder. I mean, I want to believe he was in good standing, especially since the organization apparently put out that statement. 

Also, if he doesn't have a will, then according to Minnesota state law, his inheritance automatically goes to the closest family member, which would be his sister. We'll see though.

Regardless, he was an amazing musician. Like MJ, only Jehovah knows what was in their hearts.

Half, humph, i'll go as far as to say the majority of the stuff we hear in the media, especially involving celebrities you can't depend on. TMZ is one such source. 

Bro. Prince was a brother. He was in good standing I believe too. 

All this talk about he was, he wasn't is just the influence of sources of media information such as, again, TMZ. And unfortunately some of us have and are allowing ourselves to be influenced by it. 

What happened to seeing only the best/good in each other unless there are undeniable facts to believe otherwise? And until/unless those facts can be definitely refuted, I'm not going with mere rumors! And after all, who of us has actually met, spoken with, gone out in service with him, etc, except for Hope of course. And since Hope has done so, I'm going with her! 

Stop the madness!

Googled "third eye blind" name meaning and found this; 

A: In terms of frequency, this may well be the question that trumps all others. A number of "theories" have been suggested as to the meaning of the band name; some less savory than others. Stephan Jenkins himself has claimed in a radio interview that "Third Eye Blind" derived from the metaphysical idea of a mind's eye.
  1. So easy to take things out of context without investigating further information.
  2. Where would we all be without our mind's eye?

Edited by BibleSteve

additional info

Steve, you said "So easy to take things out of context without investigating further information." (I don't know how to do the quote box thing).

Anyway, the above is so true. Even Jehovah says so as in "make sure of the more important things." Now of course that applies to spiritual things, but since our lives are involved with spiritual things, I would think that scripture would apply even in this matter. 

Judging Bro. Prince based on rumors usually substantiated by celebrity talk is certainly not "making sure of all things."

Excellent point Steve! :)

May we not judge anybody because we can't read hearts of even understand one's actions ..Matthew 7 “Stop judging+ that YOU may not be judged; 2 for with what judgment YOU are judging, YOU will be judged;+ and with the measure that YOU are measuring out, they will measure out to YOU.+

1 PETER 4:

17 For it is the appointed time for the judgment to start with the house of God.+ Now if it starts first with us,+ what will the outcome be for those who are not obedient to the good news of God?+ 18 “And if the righteous man is being saved with difficulty, what will happen to the ungodly man and the sinner?”+

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Hope said:

The day will be a great one when our inclination is to assume the best about people we don't even know, rather than have suspicion about them :(

Did you say that you met and talked with him several times?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

22 hours ago, Hope said:

Prince did get baptized - in 2001.  He gave talks on the School and went door-to-door.  His congregation held the Memorial (the MEMORIAL!!!) at Paisley Park at lease twice ( I was there; I met and spoke with him at length ).  A dear friend of mine attends the congregation.

I don't believe the congregation would have had the Memorial at the studio of an unbaptized musician... I don't care who he is.

Here is Sister Uani's Quote

11 minutes ago, kejedo said:

http://www.people.com/article/prince-dead-jehovah-witness-release-statement

Obviously, our brothers in a nearby KIngdom Hall blocked the parking lot and the building was dark, to avoid another purple balloon crowd.

Yes, the service overseer of that congregation let everyone know the Thursday meeting was moved to another Kingdom Hall- media was camped out there all day.  My friend who goes there was even phoned by the Wall Street Journal for a quote... madness..

6 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

More press about Prince.

Prince became a Jehovah's Witness in 2003, and the denomination released a statement saying it is saddened by his death.
"Prince found fulfillment as a Witness and in sharing his faith with others," the statement read.
"Our thoughts are with his family and friends, particularly his fellow worshipers at the Saint Louis Park congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Minnesota. We hope that all find comfort in the Bible's promise of a future time when death, pain and tears will be no more."

That's worth a repeat.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

More press about Prince.

Prince became a Jehovah's Witness in 2003, and the denomination released a statement saying it is saddened by his death. "Prince found fulfillment as a Witness and in sharing his faith with others," the statement read. "Our thoughts are with his family and friends, particularly his fellow worshipers at the Saint Louis Park congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Minnesota. We hope that all find comfort in the Bible's promise of a future time when death, pain and tears will be no more." http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/22/entertainment/prince-death-main/  

Does anyone know where this official statement can be found? I mean I see sources quoting it but it doesn't seem to be on JW.org.

I doubt the Branch would make a statement regarding the death of an individual publisher. They sometimes announce the death of one of the GB members but that is all I've seen. Most likely this came from a local CO or his local congregation made the statement.

and the press took it as a "official statement"

15 minutes ago, Musky said:

I doubt the Branch would make a statement regarding the death of an individual publisher. They sometimes announce the death of one of the GB members but that is all I've seen. Most likely this came from a local CO or his local congregation made the statement.

and the press took it as a "official statement"

If the CO or Body of Elders made a statement, we can be rest assured they called the branch and had it "checked" prior to making it - especially something as public as this. Perhaps this is why it is days after. 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

He was very bold in witnessing to others too, I've read and listened to stories online of others who spent time with Brother Nelson and he was never shy about bringing up religion, if he wore anything with pockets he kept the pocket bible on him. More than a few who have been in his home attest to seeing a bible out in the open and they were always surprised at how hospitable he was.  I'mean sure he was able to witness to many that we would not normally be able to even get near.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

3 hours ago, Luezette said:

All this talk about he was, he wasn't is just the influence of sources of media information 

And this is why we keep asking all here to STOP DISCUSSING PRINCE'S SPIRITUAL STATE! 

Stop.  Don't make us lock this discussion.  Stop speculating,  stop judging,  stop trying to decide if Prince was in good standing or not. 

14 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

And this is why we keep asking all here to STOP DISCUSSING PRINCE'S SPIRITUAL STATE! 

Stop.  Don't make us lock this discussion.  Stop speculating,  stop judging,  stop trying to decide if Prince was in good standing or not. 

I agree. Some of this speculation seems inappropriate and disrespectful.  Let's respect his dignity and  privacy as we would any other of our friends who have died.  His being  famous shouldn't mean that godly principles are discarded. 

Here's a couple positive personal experiences. I saw Prince perform at avery fisher hall, Lincoln Center in NYC circa 2002. During sound check he asked crowd for any requests.. As crowd was screaming out his old stuff, I belted out "God's Love Love"... My wife and I believe he heard me because he smiled... Next experience, when concert was thumping at Avery Fisher Hall, he asked audience,"How do you like my new personality?" During that concert he encouraged audience to read the scriptures to find the answers...

The acoustics were amazing! Best concert I every attended!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Totally agree! And lest we forget about his family, have we thought about how they might/will feel if they knew (and who knows if they already know) how their beloved Prince is being doubted/put down, etc, by his own people, Jehovah's Witnesses? How do we know but that some of his family members, close friends might even be in the truth or studying? Or even might be considering it? Or even if they're are not and is totally not interested, how are they being affected by all of this negative talk? THEY LOST A LOVED ONE IN DEATH! That's all they know, not Prince the celebrity, but Prince their loved one, their son, their brother/brother-in-law, nephew, cousin, friend, neighbor, etc. They're hurting. 

Is it possible the putdowns, negative talk. doubts about him from us might/could dissuade some from accepting the truth? Possible. Some might say that if you really want the truth then nothing can stop you. Really? Then why did Jesus say "But whoever stumbles one of these little ones who have faith, it would be better for him if a millstone that is turned by a donkey were put around his neck and he were pitched into the sea." (Mark 9:42). How do we know if Prince's family/friends do not/did not have faith? We don't.  

Above all, since Prince was our brother, Jehovah heard and is hearing/listening to everything we "talk" about here.

Edited by Luezette

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2857 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.