JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The latest news report says that bro Nelson did not leave a Will, so the family will split the estate.

I was really wondering what would have happened if he had donated a sizable chunk to the Branch, I'm assuming the news media and family would have made it ugly. 

I'm sure the brothers would have been happy to receive a portion of his estate but probably were not looking forward to the legal battle that might have come with it, now it appears it is a non-issue.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

In a comment someone posted here from a reputable source, he did donate a sizable amount to the society.  Or he was in the habit of doing so. 

As far as the estate itself, I have no idea. But if I read correctly, since his sister (Tyka (correct spelling?)), is his full sister, she might get the estate.

Edited by Luezette

3 minutes ago, Luezette said:

In a comment someone posted here from a reputable source, he did donate a sizable amount to the society.  Or he was in the habit of doing so. 

His regular, anonymous, contributions are one thing, however if he left 50% of his total estate to the Branch I'm assuming there would have been an uproar ...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

His regular, anonymous, contributions are one thing, however if he left 50% of his total estate to the Branch I'm assuming there would have been an uproar ...

As cryptic and private as Brother Nelson was I wouldn't be shocked if some documentation regarding his estate is discovered in due time... Stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Oh. Lol.

But even if he did, yeah there might be an uproar true, and the attorneys could, would, might, perhaps fight it to the teeth!

But if he did,  don't forget who he's really donating it to by giving to the branch: Jehovah! And if donated it to Jehovah , and Jehovah wants it, then all the attorneys in the world can do nothing about it.

6 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

As cryptic and private as Brother Nelson was I wouldn't be shocked if some documentation regarding his estate is discovered in due time... Stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that any legal Will would be held by an attorney and would have been declared by now, the news media appears to be making the same assumption..

You're right Tracey. Absolutely! 

It's said that Bro. Prince did not leave a will. I find that hard to believe, especially since his "burial" (cremation) was done exactly as he prescribed. Given that, I really find it almost impossible to believe that he didn't leave a will. How did they know what he wanted to be done with his body if something happens to him? I mean, it's possible that he left instructions long before this but still. I don't know. It just sounds strange to me that, according to them, he left no will.

Since, like many of us, he probably did not expect to die, he had the hope of living through, it is very possible that he did not leave a will. At his age, he may have just not gotten around to it.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Sorry, Tyke may well have been Prince Rogers Nelson's bio sister http://www.people.com/article/Prince-sister-tyka-5-things-to-know

At  any rate, it is a great loss to us, his spiritual family. Also having no family of origin in the truth, I can only imagine the loneliness that Brother Nelson sometimes felt.  We did not entertain any questions about Bro. Prince Rogers Nelson in service today. Heavy sigh.

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Since, like many of us, he probably did not expect to die, he had the hope of living through, it is very possible that he did not leave a will. At his age, he may have just not gotten around to it.

Sensible comment

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

This article speculates that he might have set up a Trust, in that case the details of the Trust would not be made public. I assume that would make thing a lot easier on the branch legal department if the the Trust continues to donate funds to the branch.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/princes-estate-6-key-questions-answered/ar-BBsfmE1?ocid=spartandhp

Just the royalties from his already published music alone would yield a great deal of money!  As meticulous as Br. Nelson seemed to be with his music and his life, it's hard to believe he overlooked this one VERY big part of things - making a will.  The more you have, the more important it is to have one.  Perhaps because of the hope he gained by learning the truth, he really didn't care what happened to his estate after he died because it wouldn't matter!  Let the living figure it out!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

If he left a living trust rather than a will, it's possible no one would know who received the inheritance. See the below explanation:

A living trust never needs to be filed with a court, either before or after your death. The probate court isn’t involved in supervising your trustee, the person you name in the trust document to handle the distribution of the trust assets. The trustee simply follows the instructions you wrote in the trust document, without getting permission or approval from the court.

2 minutes ago, Midwest-US said:

If he left a living trust rather than a will, it's possible no one would know who received the inheritance. See the below explanation:

A living trust never needs to be filed with a court, either before or after your death. The probate court isn’t involved in supervising your trustee, the person you name in the trust document to handle the distribution of the trust assets. The trustee simply follows the instructions you wrote in the trust document, without getting permission or approval from the court.

Exactly. I was the executor in two living trusts and all of the assets were placed in each trust before the person died, so the public records showed the land deeds were in a trust. I would think the news media would have dug that up by now.

I would imagine they would have to tract down the person who he left as executor of said trusts first!  That could be exhaustive, as secretive and private as Br. Nelson was.  He probably even swore the person to secrecy, if there is one.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.